COVID Chances

Tex06

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Can your school maintain 100% mask wearing and a 6ft separation between all students? 

That is the challenge and it's harder (but not impossible) for a small entirely indoor situation. But where there's a will, there's a way! :D Gotta have that 100% "will" first though and that seems hardest of all. :(

Funny you ask, yes the middle school and elementary schools (the smallest schools size-wise in the district) were able to do it, but there were a few very vocal parents that shut it down because they didn't want their kids in school at all, despite the fact that the district was still providing an online option. Kids were spread out in the classrooms, we had a hybrid schedule, only 1 kid per table was allowed at lunch, and release times for classes were staggered.

5 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

well the high schoolers have enough freedom to make the choice where as the little kids are just doing what their parents told them 

I'm thinking of the adults being worse than kids in school.  They get worse as they get older. :wink:

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Just an observation on mask wearing, Disney World has been open for months now. 100s of thousands of strangers all mingling all day long. It's a testiment to what the basic practices can do. If masking and cleaning and distancing didn't work, this would be an insane hotspot and it's just... not. Not even for the workers who are here every day.  My folks feel safer there than walmart (which has essentially the same policies in place but doesn't really enforce anything past entering the front door.  Disney will legit kick you off property if you don't comply.  :D

I just got back from DisneyWorld with my family.  Was there from Nov 3 - 10.  We all got tested two days after we got back home in MD.  We all received a negative test.

To be fair, DisneyWorld is doing their best to comply with all of the COVID rules and regulations, but their customers are not doing a great job.  Hollywood Studios theme park was by far the worst with people shoulder to shoulder and very little social distancing happening.  Sure, all of the rides and stores have the 6ft markings on the ground you need to wait at, but once you're wandering around in the park, social distancing isn't a thing anymore. 

The mask wearing there is better than anywhere I have seen elsewhere in the country (I'm still traveling a lot for work), with kids 2 and older having to wear masks anytime you're outside of your hotel room.  A lot of people will get around the mask wearing mandate by always having a drink in their hand or food so they can pull the mask down to take a drink or bite.

Overall, DisneyWorld is doing a great job with containing it, but they're only as good as the compliance of their customers.

Very true. It's up to the people to pay attention to what they are doing.

Drinking/eating are no longer allowed while walking or in the queues. Gotta stop and distance yourself. People were seriously abusing that in the past so they updated their policy. Not quite 100% compliance but much better these days compare to october. :D

distancing is a whole nuther animal though.  Just too many bottle necks to stay 6ft all the time.  But even so, the system as a whole seems to be decent.  We just do our best to avoid those situations. :L:

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Drinking/eating are no longer allowed while walking or in the queues. Gotta stop and distance yourself. People were seriously abusing that in the past so they updated their policy. Not quite 100% compliance but much better these days compare to october. :D

distancing is a whole nuther animal though.  Just too many bottle necks to stay 6ft all the time.  But even so, the system as a whole seems to be decent.  We just do our best to avoid those situations. :L:

I wasn't there prior to the rule change so I don't have a good comparison, but there was still plenty of people not following the new rules to the letter.  I'm guilty of it myself while holding a beer in line for a ride and pulling my mask down to take a sip here and there.  To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the no drinking in line rule until you mentioned it but I was never called out by a staff member for doing so.

Regardless, the fact that they were put on blast for opening and there have been no known outbreaks means they're either doing a good job of mitigating it or a great job of covering it up.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pete M said:

You and I were complete opposition on masks back in March/April. I think many people may still believe it's not real due to lack of firm leadership and not seeing it within their own community. I openly admit I was foolish and ignorant. This is real and no joke. I hope nobody here has to deal with anyone go through it. I promise you though that you thoughts and approach of covid will change once someone you know or love is in the hospital with it. If a mask has 1/10 of a hair on a flys butt of being effective, wear it!

18 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I have 75 service techs working for me. They are exposed to the general public all day, everyday in very urban environments. We mandated mask wearing very early on. Not one has got Covid from work. 2 got it from relatives. Nearly killed one. Enough said.

We have been wearing masks in my office for several months now.  I believe May was when it became mandatory.  One guy got COVID from a family member and brought it into the office, then gave it to 5 others, one of which has been in the hospital since last Thursday.  I'm not saying the masks don't work and I wear mine wherever required, just stating my experience.

masks are definitely not 100%, especially in confined areas or if people are working close together or are removing them to eat or whatever.  one of my nursing buddies caught it at work last March (it was already rampant in the facility but nurses gotta go be nurses) and he wore N95s each day when on the floor. 

it's all about reducing the chances.  if enough people do it, it can make a huuuge impact in our population of 300+million even if it can't stop it cold. 

Lots of other way it could be contracted, too. I’m still seeing lots of masks on chins, exposed noses, and poor hand hygiene practises out in public.

My work hired on extra staff to go around sanitizing high-touch surfaces, on top of the mask requirement and working from home where possible. Unfortunately my department can’t exactly work from home.