Clutch Master Cylinder

Has anyone found a replacement clutch master that doesn't start leaking after ~2 years. I remember on my cherokee I could never get one that wouldn't leak. I also plan to fabricate a little plastic box below the clutch master to catch anything and keep it off my floorboards if it does start leaking but while I am redoing the interior I want to replace this master. 

From my research it looks like they are the same from 1991-1996 even though the slave changed to external in 1994. Is that correct?

Not sure what the problem is. I've replace mine twice over the years. Figure I'm getting about 10 years out of them. Bought from AutoZone both times. Once in Kansas in the late 90's, once here in AZ.

Now that I've jinxed myself..... 

56 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I bit the bullet and paid the $200 for a Mopar, pre filled, clutch master and slave assembly. It hasn't failed me yet and it's been on about 3 years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If this one leaks I will be doing the same. However, I am going to fab something up to protect my floorboards and new carpet from damage if it does leak. 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Torq_Shep said:

If this one leaks I will be doing the same. However, I am going to fab something up to protect my floorboards and new carpet from damage if it does leak. 

Use silicone brake fluid. It's non-corrosive.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Use silicone brake fluid. It's non-corrosive.

DOH! Why didn't I think of that! I will have to flush the slave with isopropyl but that should be easy enough. Will definitely be doing that for the clutch as I cannot be always worrying about the clutch master leaking again (they always do).

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, jamcomanche said:

@eaglescout526 sorry for the ping. When you have a minute would you be able to get me a part number for a genuine clutch master cylinder and tell me the best place to buy it?  I put a new sachs unit on back in september that started leaking on me already.

Yeah I can. What year ya got? 97-01 conversion done to your MJ?

You know, there was an issue with the flexible clutch line between the master and slave cylinders. 

The rubber line reacted badly to the fluid they used and shed off some gritty stuff. That stuff trashed the cylinders. It was always recommended that the line be replaced when a cylinder failed. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:21 PM, jamcomanche said:

I have the stock 87. Havent converted anything, but I'm willing to upgrade if I can find the parts.

Hopefully you don’t have one of those 87’s that was built in 86. There’s some 84-86 oddities that carried over until probably late, late 86 like the mounting of the clutch master. Two styles, one has the bolts top and bottom and the 84-86 has the bolts mounted on either side of the master. Here’s the PN I see for 87-90 53004467. None exist new. 

• 2 months later...

Ive been thinking about it, I did change the line because I went to an external slave ax15 when it did the 4x4 swap. The while system was new.  Apparently something isnt happy by the looks of the juice.

I think I might just swap the whole system again and try to stay up on flushing it periodically.

20220518_151649.jpg