89' Comanche: To buy or not to buy

I have the opportunity to pick this 1989 Jeep Comanche up from a neighbor for $4,000 Canadian ($3k US). It has been sitting for the last two years without being started but I am seriously considering it as I need a car. It is an i6, automatic with 4WD in what I believe is Dark Blue Metallic. There is no major frame rust, but the lower of both door panels have been eaten away by rust and some surface rust on the rear axle. Other than that, the clear coat has peeled off a majority of the paint but I know a decent painter and can have that sorted. What're your guys thoughts? Link to photos: Photos

It’s a 7 ft bed, single owner who supposedly just replaced the motor (not sure why as these things last forever). I know him personally, so there’s some wiggle room on the price. Forgot to mention, it has upgraded leaf springs (added leaf?) and shocks in the back as he’d haul his welding equipment. 

1 minute ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

I’d wanna hear if it runs before I put up that kind of money but it seems to all be there besides the fog lenses and the bottom corner of the door. 

It ran last time I saw him as he drove it and parked it over at my neighbours house. The battery is dead for sure but I would assume it should start right up with a boost. Both doors sadly are rusted out though!

34 minutes ago, munchamyguchi said:

It ran last time I saw him as he drove it and parked it over at my neighbours house. The battery is dead for sure but I would assume it should start right up with a boost. Both doors sadly are rusted out though!

Well maybe all you’ll need is some fresh gas and you’ll be cruising
 :comanche:

I’d still try to talking him down a little though.

3 grand for a rusty truck that's been sitting?  that's a big nope from me.  1 grand?  maybe.  do I need a reliable transport right away?  than also a nope.  you could spend a small fortune getting that into daily driver status.  cars don't like to sit.  rusty cars especially.