Out of the loop (got a computer connectivity question)

Eagle

I may be a bit scarce for awhile. We had another [very minor, IMHO] weather event here on Wednesday. From my home office, it looked like a strong breeze with a few minutes of rain. Nonetheless, it took down trees all over town (same as a month ago -- you'd think between that and the utility companies' having trimmed trees all summer long there wouldn't be anything left to fall down) and I lost my Internet. The cable company came in Thursday and made a half-assed interim repair, so I have some connecticity -- but it's about as slow as my old DSL line, and reliability is questionable.

And, for good measure, the cable repair managed to zap my landline telephone. The phone repair guy was here this morning. He found that the cable crew had cut the phone line, in two places.

So the phone is repaired, but the cable company can't get a crew here to make a permanent repair to the Internet service for two to three weeks.

Sheesh!

13 hours ago, jdog said:

is the cable company gonna pay for the damages that they caused to the phone line?

Heh, heh --

The phone tech said that, since the damage was outside the house, the repair wouldn't cost anything to me. He said in the past, when he found obvious damage by an outside entity, he would report it to his supervisor so the phone company could charge whoever did the damage. I guess this isn't the first encounter with the cable company, because he said he wasn't even going to bother making note of it because the cable company never pays.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

I guess this isn't the first encounter with the cable company, because he said he wasn't even going to bother making note of it because the cable company never pays.

they must go back and forth

• 4 weeks later...

I'm baaaaack.

I haven't seen anything of a crew that was supposed to make the permanent repair, and I haven't had any further communication from the cable company. It's working -- at least for now -- so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Being back was short-lived.

I'm back again ... again. And things are still a bit wonky, so I don't know how long it will last or if it's going to be intermittent and/or extremely slow.

I have my fingers crossed.

Here we go again. Just before 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday the cable connection dropped out. Rebooting the modem didn't help and I know the indoor ethernet cabling is good because I was on-line when it dropped out. So it's either a bad modem or -- much more likely -- external. As far as I know they never made a permanent repair to the temporary fix from back in October, so probably that finally gave up. The earliest they can get someone here will be Friday afternoon so, until then, I'll be using the cellular mobile WiFi hotspot, and limiting my on-line activity to conserve my data plan.

Question for those who know computers: I'm connected to the cable company modem and router by ethernet. When the external connection drops out, I can't access the mobile WiFi hotspot when I'm physically connected to the network. The mobile hot spot shows up and says connected, but when I start my browser it immediately opens the cable company's web page showing an inoperative modem and telling me that it can't connect. The only way I can use the mobile hotspot is to disconnect the LAN cable so I'm not physically connected to the router.

The problem there is that I keep my files on a Western Digital "MyCloud" external hard drive array, to which I connect through the ethernet cable and the router. So if I want Internet I can't access my files -- if I want my files I can't have Internet.

That can't be right. What do I have to do so I can have connectivity and still be able to access my files?

• Pete M changed the title to Out of the loop (got a computer connectivity question)

I think you will have to disable your network adapter for ethernet.  It likely takes precedent over the wifi hot spot.  Once the wifi hot spot is connected you should be able to access MyCloud through that internet connection.  Perhaps this will help...

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-an-ethernet-connection-windows-10/

1 hour ago, rokinn said:

I think you will have to disable your network adapter for ethernet.  It likely takes precedent over the wifi hot spot.  Once the wifi hot spot is connected you should be able to access MyCloud through that internet connection.  Perhaps this will help...

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-an-ethernet-connection-windows-10/

That would work, IF the MyCloud were connected to the Internet. However, the Internet connection is down somewhere between the house and the street (or somewhere between the house and upstream, but if the outage affected the whole street I'm sure they would have fixed it by now.

After breaking two previous appointments, the cable company tech finally showed up at noon today (Monday). The problem was, as I pretty much knew, that the previous temporary repair had failed. It only took him 15 minutes to find the problem and fix it -- but I was out of service for six days. I'm not happy about that.

So ... I'm back, until I'm not.

10 minutes ago, Eagle said:

that the previous temporary repair had failed

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that the cheap and easy temporary fix isn't a good long term solution? Who would have thought that? Crazy

47 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that the cheap and easy temporary fix isn't a good long term solution? Who would have thought that? Crazy

Well, if you define "long term" as six weeks -- yeah, it worked great.

I've considered satellite Internet, but nobody who has it is really happy with it. Speeds are slow, and rain or snow blocks the signal.
Satellite internet sucks! I have to use it offshore. But I do have cell phone hotspots that work really well if you have a signal. Just uses a lot of expensive data.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

My euphoria at having my Internet back was short-lived. I awoke this morning to find ... NO Internet (again). I'm back on the cellular WiFi hotspot. This cable company is the worst of the worst, but the state has given them a monopoly on service in my town.

They can't tell me when service might be restored.

Not a happy camper.