Bumpers Any Regrets

New to club and first post,

I just painted my 89 and the bumper I bought did not mention it will fit 96 and newer front ends. While my paint cures I'm faced with the dilemma to keep the bumper and cut the fenders or find something else that would fit. Every pic I see the fenders are cut bout 4 inches. Some the stock flares looked trash, do most folks do new flares too? 1/4 my friends say don't cut. Stuggl' in to pull the trigger, but hopefully sorting out the details will help. 

FYI, the decals wouldn't separate, so just a foot is on the rear. Front bumper is in but don';t fit and  rear is someone between here and Minnesota. 

Fresh paint.jpg

I have the Crusader on my 2001 Cherokee that has the fenders already cut from the factory since it's the newer generation front end.  It's a nice bumper.

If you want to preserve sheet metal, even if just for someone else, you could look at grabbing the front clip (fenders and grill) from a newer Cherokee and bolting it all up.  Or you can find some junkyard fenders from a Comanche or older Cherokee that have already been cut.

There are other options out there for bumpers which won't involve you cutting up any sheet metal.  I had an ARB Bull Bar on a previous Cherokee.  They do make a model that fits an older front end without cutting any sheet metal.  It is a stout bumper with a good heavy bar.  It's an option for you to consider.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12000_8001_07.htm

Thank for the 411 Derf,  Dadgum that is a big beefy bar. I'm already in 650 and 8 weeks on the crusader, so I will commit. Though I did write them a nasty gram fro the fact the do not disclose on product description you have to cut. 

Is it difficult to find  older fenders? I I'd like to keep period correct, salvage older fenders and cut those? Just thinking out side the box.  Another question, do y'all run without the engine splash guard have any issues? Mine just tore, talking to guy in Detroit who's trying to make replicas.  My Alternator is always going out, have a hard time imagining running without one. Be even worse I'd reckon?

11 minutes ago, War_Pony89 said:

Thank for the 411 Derf,  Dadgum that is a big beefy bar. I'm already in 650 and 8 weeks on the crusader, so I will commit. Though I did write them a nasty gram fro the fact the do not disclose on product description you have to cut. 

Is it difficult to find  older fenders? I I'd like to keep period correct, salvage older fenders and cut those? Just thinking out side the box.  Another question, do y'all run without the engine splash guard have any issues? Mine just tore, talking to guy in Detroit who's trying to make replicas.  My Alternator is always going out, have a hard time imagining running without one. Be even worse I'd reckon?

There always seems to be a dozen Cherokees in the salvage yards around here in the Denver area.  I imagine it's the same elsewhere.

If you want to grab fenders from a salvage yard be sure to bring T25 and T27 torx head sockets.  That's what most of the bolts have.

3 hours ago, War_Pony89 said:

I have some blue fenders in WI. They are very nice. 

3 hours ago, derf said:

There always seems to be a dozen Cherokees in the salvage yards around here in the Denver area.  I imagine it's the same elsewhere.

If you want to grab fenders from a salvage yard be sure to bring T25 and T27 torx head sockets.  That's what most of the bolts have.

Thanks Derf, hitting up the local Pick n Saves now. 

2 hours ago, War_Pony89 said:

Hi 89 MJ, 

Appreciate the looking out, I'm in VA, not sure how feasible. What are you looking for out of them? Year? Like the work on your rig, wish'n I had more time

They are from a 96 parts rig I had. I’m asking 35 for the pair. 

13 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Warrior Products make a version that fits without cutting.  They make a winch and non-winch versions.

https://warriorproducts.com/56054-jeep-xj-rock-crawler-front-bumper.html

56051_5.png

I ran a wp front with brush still need to cut fenders. Any aftermarket bumper i think you should, the factory air dam is great with stock bumber but looks silly with aftermarket products. 

Otherwise I'd suggest a stock bumber to not have to cut then just add a brush or bull guard. And a set of deer whistles. They work. :scholar:

I've been mulling over my options the last two days. One question I have is as Mini Beast mentioned the air dam should go with an after market bumper, what about the Skid Plate? From pictures, it seem like either there are not many skid plates out there or people take them off when applying aftermarket bumpers?

I saw pics of the factory brush guard, pretty cool, but probably a holy grail piece to find? Then you need to tow hook bumper brackets to boot.

well with any quality bumper the idea is solid tow points and tied in for additional reinforcements around the steering box as the other side stiff up the front Crossmember creating a sub frame of sorts. Again helpful and useful be it a deer or rear or tree in your grill nice to have extra protection for your safety as well as the heart of the ol girl. Also if get stuck if ever, you are sure to have a solid connection to unibody frame and be sure to get yanked out with your bumper stickers 😉

Now a bull guard i used one from a fullsize truck, used and freely sourced as much of items i aquire in life. And made it work with some grinder work and nuts and bolts. I wish I could weld but now adays I'm very appreciative of my friends that can and are willing to help me out. But futher on went after market bumper and that wp warriors is fairly priced and decent quality and a light duty bumper for a simple design that gives solid points and great for i think your after. And i kept skid as nice to have protection, as dad has always reminded me :shaking:, the air dam can be kept with it just needs some finesse to fit and you can clearenceclearance the bumper vs your fenders. Jcr offroad has good options and as stated a local fab shop be better priced then you might think as you are getting custom superstar work done and be money well spent. 

Decision decisions 🤔 🙄 

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

I'll admit it, I regret cutting my front fenders on my MJ for my bumper.

175D10E5-CE25-4719-B06E-61FEDA160B5F.jpeg.4bd41baddcbd3445beca85d9f87298b5.jpeg.ab4eaaa57032dfe2db7224c7423a9210.jpeg

I can respect that. Can I ask if you might explain what reasoning behind this 🤔  Mearly for the content and subject matter for informative thread. :scholar::type:

Thanks I appreciate your input 🙂 

4 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

I can respect that. Can I ask if you might explain what reasoning behind this 🤔  Mearly for the content and subject matter for informative thread. :scholar::type:

Thanks I appreciate your input 🙂 

The OP isn’t sure he should cut the fenders. I think he will come to regret it if he does. 

10 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I'll admit it, I regret cutting my front fenders on my MJ for my bumper.

175D10E5-CE25-4719-B06E-61FEDA160B5F.jpeg.4bd41baddcbd3445beca85d9f87298b5.jpeg.ab4eaaa57032dfe2db7224c7423a9210.jpeg

Good looking Rig 89 MJ, brought up a few questions, Where did you mount the vacuum  sphere on passenger side.  Second, did you have the factory skid plate? Curious to see how the combo looks. 

9 hours ago, War_Pony89 said:

Good looking Rig 89 MJ, brought up a few questions, Where did you mount the vacuum  sphere on passenger side.  Second, did you have the factory skid plate? Curious to see how the combo looks. 

I did not have any factory skid plates. I just ran some screws into the fender bracket on the right side to hold the vacuum ball.