Bought a 3D printer

Dzimm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/14/2020 at 6:25 PM, JMO413 said:

The REM blank came out great, the height was off by 1 mm after the print, which I can account for, but it's good enough for a blank.

The first version of the console insert is modeled and the first prototype will be printed tomorrow.  I've got to make a few printer adjustments in the morning and It's roughly a 10hr print so as long as there is no print failure, the first test fit will be tomorrow night!

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I'm envious.  I could use a good campin' trip. :cool:  spent my day preppin' the property in preparation for the prolific precipitation that's puttering our way.  :peep:   yippee.

Holy alliteration!

3 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

sorry D 😞  can we get a mod to clean this up....:dunno:

Ha don't worry about it.  

On 9/15/2020 at 7:19 PM, JMO413 said:

The prototype is a success!  After some test fitting, I cut it into pieces so I could fit individual areas together and learn what all needs changed.  I built everything to exact sizes with no tolerance to make sure it was correct and see what tolerances I needed.  

I will have to rebuild the model from scratch though because of a few angles that need to be adjusted as well as a few design changes I want to make.  Ive had a hell of a week with work and today was no different so tonight I'm going to relax and have a few drinks.  Tomorrow night I'll get the model rebuilt.  

22 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

The prototype is a success!  After some test fitting, I cut it into pieces so I could fit individual areas together and learn what all needs changed.  I built everything to exact sizes with no tolerance to make sure it was correct and see what tolerances I needed.  

I will have to rebuild the model from scratch though because of a few angles that need to be adjusted as well as a few design changes I want to make.  Ive had a hell of a week with work and today was no different so tonight I'm going to relax and have a few drinks.  Tomorrow night I'll get the model rebuilt.  

Awesome to hear. :beerbang:

The redesign was finished over lunch and the main lower piece is printing right now.  It should be done late tonight.  The upper cover piece I just finished up the modifications to and will print that in the morning.  Test fit results for V2 will be posted tomorrow!

59 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

What design software do you use?

I used Fusion 360 for this and a shelf bracket that I made.  I may keep looking though because it's not quite as intuitive as I'd like.  I use AutoCAD and Revit for work and am trying to think of a way I could make one of those work but not sure it would be any better than Fusion since they aren't really setup for this kind of design.  

I have extensive experience in Solidworks and it is definitely my favorite but no longer have access to it through work or school and certainly can't afford to buy access to it.

I may give OnShape a try for my next design.  I've heard some good things about it and is supposedly was created by some former employees that built the Solidworks program.  

Do you know of any good software that's free or relatively cheap/not a yearly subscription?

12 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Do you know of any good software that's free or relatively cheap/not a yearly subscription?

No, I'm looking at what's out there and wanted some real world feedback.

I'm going through this right now https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-modeling-software-for-beginners/

maybe freeCAD?