Bought a 3D printer

Dzimm

I finally decided it was time to buy myself a 3D printer.  I picked up an Ender 3 Pro and have quite enjoyed it so far.  The most involved thing I have printed so far is a 1:200 scale Saturn V rocket.  It stands at just shy of 22" tall, I attached a picture below.  I will eventually have a 1:200 scale space shuttle and maybe a Falcon 9 to go with it.

I have also made some things for around the house such as a sink drain grate and some shelf brackets.  I figured I'd post to see what you all may think would be useful to develop and start replicating for our trucks.  Currently I only have PLA which is limited to operating under 140*F but I could get into other materials for better heat resistance or other characteristics as well. 

I will also say I will absolutely not be replicating anything anyone else already prints.  I am looking for smaller parts that we can't source for our trucks that could be printed so we have a source.  I'm willing to do other custom printing as well if someone owns/creates a printable 3D model in a format such as .stl and would like it printed.

Snapchat-1095499413.jpg.d407a1b52a7b330f24fd9bc5165cafaf.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Pete M said:

I'm still waiting for someone to start printing little 3d MJs :D 

That's actually on my list.  I printed an XJ from a model I found online but it was a terribly built model.  I have way I may be able to 3D scan the entire truck, just need it to stop raining long enough to get one out and try it.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

no idea if this is useful to a 3d printer at all

Holy crap that's an awesome website!  Quite pricy for a model especially since it's only allowed to be used for personal or educational use.  It looks like they offer formats that would be easily converted to .gcode and I'm assuming their models are fairly well built judging by how many they have.

16 minutes ago, kook911 said:

Do you need to know anything to operate or is this a plug and play and your good to go?  Guess what I am asking all I would need to do is go to thing a verse, get the plans and port the code into the machine? 

It's not a simple plug and play, there is assembly and definitely some stuff to learn to get started with the printer itself.  There is also ongoing maintenance stuff you absolutely have to keep up with to avoid failed prints and printer damage.  

Yes you can download a file from thingiverse, open it in a slicer software to setup the print, save to the SD card, then run it in the printer.  You will need to figure out how to run the slicer software of your choice and research or gain experience over time what settings will do and how it affects different materials but a good chunk of the models on thingiverse have recommended slicer settings.  You'll have to learn a 3D modeling software if you want to create your own models.  

For the most part it's fairly easy to get started if you have basic understanding of computers and can effectively do research and learn things on your own, there are plenty of tutorials online to help.

7 hours ago, Dzimm said:

That's actually on my list.  I printed an XJ from a model I found online but it was a terribly built model.  I have way I may be able to 3D scan the entire truck, just need it to stop raining long enough to get one out and try it.

I’d be in for one in something like a 1:18 Scale. You cold also scan mine if you needed to. 

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

that'll build a decent sized cab, and then you just need to build the bed separate :D   I think the key is to make use of an existed scale tire size. 

That would be a very long print time but would be awesome!

It's not possible yet to 3d print clear materials.  Opaque at best but definitely nothing close to usable as taillights.

I do have the knowledge and experience to setup and run injection molding machines tho so if anyone has the money for a mold and a press we would be in business!  

I would like to start off with saying I know nothing about 3D printing. With that said would it be possible to print a bezel for the REM to mount in the center console?

IMG_20200913_133230188.jpg.d24858967f62157196d86374058a5295.jpg

I would really like to mount this here.

IMG_20200913_133315253.jpg.a7ec05f857b12942f3320457b0e61e12.jpg

A bezel to hold the REM and fill in the gaps would be awesome. Not sure if this is possible or what kinda work it would take. 

15 hours ago, JMO413 said:

I would like to start off with saying I know nothing about 3D printing. With that said would it be possible to print a bezel for the REM to mount in the center console?

I would really like to mount this here.

A bezel to hold the REM and fill in the gaps would be awesome. Not sure if this is possible or what kinda work it would take. 

Send me the exact dimensions of the REM and some pictures of all sides of it.  I have that console in my XJ so I can get the measurements for that.  I can throw together something to drop in and hold it in place.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Send me the exact dimensions of the REM and some pictures of all sides of it.  I have that console in my XJ so I can get the measurements for that.  I can throw together something to drop in and hold it in place.

First off you are awesome and thank you. I measured in metric guessing that the 3D printer surely doesn't use SAE.

IMG_20200914_121119249.jpg.8e2906d665894eaee917bc310e88fab4.jpg

Width

IMG_20200914_121153973.jpg.1cd8c1832ab762d4da8139787f81f442.jpg

Height to the check engine light.

IMG_20200914_121325405.jpg.dd52ee03fef82be0675d3ca070f88cda.jpg

Height every where else.

IMG_20200914_122202931.jpg.236bbf7ecf9075ab1d50bada9853dd1a.jpg

Check engine light bulge width.

IMG_20200914_121404456.jpg.bf64cb7d036ea7a95373cd362b9a7d97.jpg

Depth

IMG_20200914_121427948.jpg.29273af8e0c21127135130525cde29b9.jpg

Where the CAT 5 cable connects for data on the left side of the REM.

IMG_20200914_121525264.jpg.205c0ae15d55b5b17738aa2e467da6c9.jpg

CAT 5 connection width

IMG_20200914_121550872.jpg.8b9bfce46ea6f61843e170caeaf67557.jpg

Cat 5 connection width.

Hopefully this is what you will need. If you need any other measurements let me know. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, JMO413 said:

Hopefully this is what you will need. If you need any other measurements let me know. Thanks again. 

That's perfect!  Glad you have calipers, that should make it much more accurate.  How do you have the ethernet cable run in the console?  I'll want to allow room for the cable to run into the console itself.

It'll probably take me a week or two to get a prototype together.  I will have to make a replica of the REM first so I've got a blank to work from on the insert.

2 hours ago, Dzimm said:

That's perfect!  Glad you have calipers, that should make it much more accurate.  How do you have the ethernet cable run in the console?  I'll want to allow room for the cable to run into the console itself.

It'll probably take me a week or two to get a prototype together.  I will have to make a replica of the REM first so I've got a blank to work from on the insert.

If you get this figured out and want to print another one I would buy it. I have been wanting a REM for a while, but have been holding out for the clock version. This would be almost as good. Let me know! :L:

45 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

If you get this figured out and want to print another one I would buy it. I have been wanting a REM for a while, but have been holding out for the clock version. This would be almost as good. Let me know! :L:

Will do

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

I don't have the cable ran yet. I didn't want to make a hole and find out it didn't work when I tried to mount it.

IMG_20200914_152928611.jpg.95efe26688ca480f60fc60f32fc0c1b6.jpg

Face plate to cable.

IMG_20200914_153105768.jpg.08af4d0635cb546befdf9a4fd9cc0be8.jpg

So somewhere in this area. Or wherever it lines up.