move your alternator ?????

Ok so here is the question how did you guys move your alternator from the bottom of the 4.0 up to the top of the motor. I want to move mine because I seem to wheel in a lot of mud/water and I have lost one and don’t want to lose anymore. So what did you guys do and what belt did you guys use. Please if possible post some pics. I have heard that you can use a 2.5 bracket is this true.

sorry i can't help...but i would like to add to your question...ide like to add an alt to the top were the a\c would be if my 90 were optioned with it (wanting to add a secondary power system that is independent of the stock system)

Thats what i am talking about where the ac/pully is jamminz.gif so nobody has any thing :eek:

You use a bracket off of a fuel injected 2.5l XJ or MJ. The bracket was on top from the factory on those and bolts to the same holes as your existing A/C bracket does. The problem is you have to figure out what to do about your clutch fan since there is no longer a pulley for it. You also have to figure out a belt length.

You use a bracket off of a fuel injected 2.5l XJ or MJ. The bracket was on top from the factory on those and bolts to the same holes as your existing A/C bracket does. The problem is you have to figure out what to do about your clutch fan since there is no longer a pulley for it. You also have to figure out a belt length.

i no thats what you were saying down at Dans and that the part i am having an issue with. i wounder if you could not just put the pully on the bottom some way and still use the same belt :nuts:

does anyone have pics of the 2.5 bracket mod?

This is the best I can do for ya. I never had the guts to install it because I didn't want to delete my clutch fan on the MJ. The flat part bolts to the block, and it had a GM (same as a Renix style) alternator in it. I know it'll work I just never got too involved with it. Here's the pictures though.

anyone have a pic of a setup running an alternator in that location and one in stock location?

I"m thinking duals...

Why? I've got a ~170 amp alt in my Jeep, I can't imagine needing more power than that. How many 15" woofers are you planning on? :brows:

then you just delete the lower all together thats cool and thanks.

I think I have all the parts to do this as soon as I get the diesel out of the shop sprung an oil leak on it. So as soon as that is fixed this going to happen. jamminz.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Use a renix AC bracket and simple arm w/ 2 holes in it about 2.5" apart. The alt bolts right upto the renix AC bracket...

Image%28117%29.jpg

Image%28118%29.jpg

You'll also need to get a 75" belt for it to work.

OH, and it will only work with the Renix motor, won't work with the HO motors....

Lead-not-Follow,

Do you still have the pictures?

Yes: I have relocated the alternator on my Comanche to the location of the A/C

I took the alternator bracket of a 1990 2.5 engine and that bracket fits right on the 4.L now you can use the 4cy alternator or modify the top mount ear of the hi amp unit thats what I did this due to clock position of the mounting ear.

Now I used the 4cyl water pump pulley also and I don’t run the mechanical fan or its bracket. I run duel electric factory fans. Use the 4cy belt (1990 2.5) and I did have to trim about a 1/4 inch from the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss for belt alignment. All in all it’s very simple and I have run that setup for over 2 years now with no issues.

That is a simple way to relocate with factory parts. And its looks factory.

Tom

• 2 months later...

I picked up a 200 last summer. With that increase power, you need to do some rewiring to the charging system.

It called for a 6ga chg wire in place of the 10ga factory. I went 4ga for good measure. There is two, because I was unsure of routing. (I made these myself.)

CW

Yes: I have relocated the alternator on my Comanche to the location of the A/C

I took the alternator bracket of a 1990 2.5 engine and that bracket fits right on the 4.L now you can use the 4cy alternator or modify the top mount ear of the hi amp unit thats what I did this due to clock position of the mounting ear.

Now I used the 4cyl water pump pulley also and I don’t run the mechanical fan or its bracket. I run duel electric factory fans. Use the 4cy belt (1990 2.5) and I did have to trim about a 1/4 inch from the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss for belt alignment. All in all it’s very simple and I have run that setup for over 2 years now with no issues.

That is a simple way to relocate with factory parts. And its looks factory.

Tom

Do you have any pictures? I'm going to be doing this soon.

I'm still waiting for my bracket that I paid for back in December, from one of our fellow club members. I'm hopeful that I will get it soon. :roll: