Anyone in the Midwest Get Damage?

Dzimm

That big storm front that is rolling through the Midwest is freakin horrific.  90+ mph winds.  Tons of trees down, power lines down, and everything outside that wasn't nailed down is gone.  It just crossed into Illinois headed east.

Our fence got blown over and lost some big tree limbs.  Luckily no damage to the buildings.  Out at the family farm there is quite a bit of damage to everything.  Hard top to the mother-in-law's Wrangler blew away and was found flattened in the field about 300 yards away.  Pretty much all towns near me here in central Iowa are without power still.  

IMG_20200810_124741.jpg.d1a6ec5482b5145db131d832d8d13976.jpg

IMG_20200810_124751.jpg.8a1187967a95f8ce039951eed8c4d52d.jpg

These pictures are after some cleanup of the yard.

So my sister posted up some damage pictures from her neighborhood.  Looks like what you'd get from a low grade tornado.  No pictures of her house, just what she can see out the windows.  One garage collapsed from what it looks like, another roof with half the shingles missing.  A little bit of debris in the yards.  Neighbor's deck railing off and a few feet away in the yard.

My other sister and my parents are in more heavily wooded areas.  I hope no tree came down on a house or anything like that.

Sounds like trees down and some damage to my parent's house from one of them but no tree trunk in the living room or anything that bad.

My other sister has trees down but no word on damage.  Sounds like it's light damage at most.

Looks like they will come through fine.

Finally was able to get word from my family in eastern Iowa.  Similar story there, trees down everywhere, fences blown over, house on fire down the road.  One of my grandparents has a tree that went through their roof and another grandparents gutters blew off and disappeared and they lost shingles.  Many business in their town lost roofs as well.  I've also heard reports that some gas stations lost their pump awnings.

I also got through to see the MidAmerican power outage report.  Currently showing over 225,000 people without power in Iowa..  some news articles are reporting over 420,000 people without power in Iowa.  Who really knows at this point.

Screenshot_20200810-170233.png

1 minute ago, JMO413 said:

Not a ton of damage here. Sister in-laws power line was ripped off the side of her house. One of the guys at work left early to see how much roof he was missing. Besides that just some limbs down.

Glad to hear you made it out relatively fine.  It seems that some areas got it worse than others. 

Also our power just came back on!!

Just now, Dzimm said:

Glad to hear you made it out relatively fine.  It seems that some areas got it worse than others. 

Also our power just came back on!!

We got some wind but not the super crazy kind. 

We didn't lose power at work or home.

Good to hear your power is back.

Just now, JMO413 said:

We got some wind but not the super crazy kind. 

We didn't lose power at work or home.

Good to hear your power is back.

Oh man you really lucked out then.  It seems interstate 80 was kind of the southern cutoff of the really bad stuff.  We have some friends 10 miles south of us and they didn't get it too bad either.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Oh man you really lucked out then.  It seems interstate 80 was kind of the southern cutoff of the really bad stuff.  We have some friends 10 miles south of us and they didn't get it too bad either.

80 always seems to be the stopping point for bad weather and snow.

Just got word that my parent's power was just restored this afternoon.

My sister sent a video she uploaded doing a walk-around of her house shortly after the storm.  They had a good dozen big trees down to one extent or another.  Most of them fell harmlessly to the ground.  A few of them were very close to the house but missed.  One missed the AC unit by like 2 feet.  But one of the trees came down on their detached garage.  The damage didn't look like it was extensive but it wasn't unscathed.  Probably an easy fix if they can find a contractor to do the work.

I suspect builders and contractors are going to have their hands full for the rest of the year into next year.  If you're looking for work in the building trades, the upper Midwest would be a good place to set up shop for a while.

Good to hear they got power back.  Still quite a few places without here.  The family farm is still without power and they quoted 2 more weeks there.  Brother-in-law is staying with us until they get power back.  

Few people at work ended up with some damage to their homes and vehicles.  One guy has a farm near Ames and from what I've heard so far he got tons of damage.  He's been out all week dealing with it.

We went from seeing signs at stores about being out of toilet paper to now signs saying "we are out of generators, chainsaws, and bar oil."  Its also incredibly nerve wracking to be at a 4 way stop with 8 lanes of heavy Des Moines traffic going every which way because of a dead stoplight.  This year just needs to be over with already.

2 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

I read this morning that some people are calling it a "land hurricane." Is that actually a thing? From the accounts here, I could see the destruction being as bad and widespread as a hurricane on the coast.

Best of luck to everyone effected. 

Yes as Money_Pits said, it is called a Derecho.  It's straight line winds that get really powerful.  They were recorded up to around 100mph sustained in many places and some areas saw higher than that. 

An F1 tornado is in the range of 73-112mph In some areas speeds were real darn close to F2 tornado speeds.  Literally looked like a hurricane, but came quick and unexpectedly like a tornado.  We knew rain was coming but had no warning otherwise, sunny skies and within 2mins it was at full force, the whole thing lasted 45-60mins.

7 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Yes as Money_Pits said, it is called a Derecho.  It's straight line winds that get really powerful.  They were recorded up to around 100mph sustained in many places and some areas saw higher than that. 

An F1 tornado is in the range of 73-112mph In some areas speeds were real darn close to F2 tornado speeds.  Literally looked like a hurricane, but came quick and unexpectedly like a tornado.  We knew rain was coming but had no warning otherwise, sunny skies and within 2mins it was at full force, the whole thing lasted 45-60mins.

It was definitely quick and nasty. It was the same way here. Sunny skies to the worst wind I've seen in Iowa. I'm pretty sure I'm far enough south that we got a mild version.

Whats crazy is that wind line stretched all the way south of St. Louis, Mo. Took out the power in half my hometown. The winds here gusted up to only about 40 mph, but a few places got up to 60+.  Never seen one stretch that far before. Wind can be such a terrifying thing.