Anyone in the Midwest Get Damage?

Dzimm

Some solid numbers have come out about the storm.  

- 90 mile wide band running North-South

- 770 mile track across the Midwest

- 130 mph wind speeds in areas (mostly from central to eastern Iowa)

- (17) EF0-EF1 tornados were spotted during the derecho

The storm in total took around an hour or so to pass but the worst of the wind lasted from 20-40 minutes depending on location and were equivalent to a category 4 hurricane.

There are still some areas without power because of shortages of transformers and other line equipment.  Pretty much everywhere you go is flat corn fields, crushed grain bins, missing/damaged roofs, and every tree is missing large limbs if it survived at all.  Most yards still have large piles of debris out front.  The city just picked up my pile today, our small town compost filled immediately and the county opened up a large area of land for people to drop off debris.

Watching some of the videos on YouTube you can get an idea of what it was like during the storm as well as the aftermath.  Here is a video from cedar rapids, this is one of the best quality videos from inside a building I've seen but there are many that show during the storm and the aftermath.

I heard from a mouse that holding the door up works. :dunno: 

but in all seriousness that could have been a truly horrible event.  I mean, who thinks "hey look, rain's comin'.  I wonder if we'll get 120mph winds for a half hour straight?" :peep: 

the storm.jpg

44 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I mean, who thinks "hey look, rain's comin'.  I wonder if we'll get 120mph winds for a half hour straight?"

That was the worst part.  We had absolutely zero warning, just boom out of nowhere trees coming down and sirens start blaring.  I was able to give my parents about an hour warning since they a couple hours east of us but word didn't spread hardly at all.  The vast majority of people were completely blindsided.  I'm surprised it still hasn't really made national news at all.  There are literally people living in tents and their destroyed homes in cedar rapids.