Who else is drinking and wrenching today?

SoCalManche

Getting ready to attack the front end suspension with new coil springs. The sun is out and it's a gorgeous day here in San Diego today. Figured I'd grab some appropriate beer while working on the MJ. 

For those of you that have over a 3" lift and have swapped out coils...are you able to just drop the axle and let them pop out? Or is it closer to the FSM route?

For everyone else...what are you drinking today?

IMG_20200730_140616.jpg.4727c8aad33b4cd44791eba52fe17235.jpg

Not wrenching, but drinking:beerchug:

You can use a small bottle Jack between the axle and frame rail to pop the coils out/in.  Disco the lower shock, TRE and the sway bar link.  Easy as pizza-pie.

Such a fun development. Swapped these supposed 4.5" coils (PO claimed this) with 4.5" coils I purchased. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference, lol. Besides this development, this coil swap was much quicker and easier than expected, after reading so many other stories on the matter. Gonna need to go back to spring under axle now.

Digging the gray though...

IMG_20200730_181126.jpg.4d174e57cc12aed4ea399ae0a415b93d.jpgIMG_20200730_194636.jpg.8a42fd2ae3d5fe6f01e671638ac8d721.jpg

26 minutes ago, Pete M said:

unsprung length means little since the spring rates can be different. :L: 

Did you not see the second picture with the springs under load? Her caboose is sticking up a "tad" higher than the front end.

• 3 weeks later...

got a li'l project I'm working on :D  complete with a Yuengling and a donor Jeep.  :beerchug: (mostly I need the rear "axle" rod)

the plan is to hit it with 20 volts of dewalt power and see how fast it'll go with my nephews at the helm.  :banana:  normally power wheels see 5-7 mph at 12 volts, but not only am I upping the power, I'm changing the gear ratio out with one from a smaller-tired Jeep which should provide an even bigger boost :comanche:

20200818_183558.jpg

20200818_183621.jpg