Overland MJs

neohic

On 8/1/2020 at 8:03 PM, Pete M said:

these fold-out shades are super popular (and expensive)

9930feb1bf700a157848bb8f33924d45.jpg

11818f0780a9371fe31888212833edd8.jpg

There are some DIY options for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lcv6eP4t8&ab_channel=OverlandUnderBudget 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, neohic said:

Confirmed. 

I really like the idea of this. When I go out I like to keep things as simple as possible as far as power usage goes. I’ve never carried an air compressor but rather a small CO2 tank. The regulator I usually have on it tops out at 120# which is awesome for running air tools on the trail or a nailer around the house for a quick job. That same regulator could be set all the way down to 10-15# for running a shower. No power. No fuss. 

Noted for potential future build. :holdwrench:

This is awesome

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/2/2020 at 4:04 PM, neohic said:

... or just buy mine. 

You have an ad up yet? I've been looking at airstream basecamps (the older ones) as I want something I can haul my motorcycle with. With your trailer, I could take off my camper top and put the bike in the back of the truck....

On 11/6/2020 at 2:28 PM, Tex06 said:

You have an ad up yet? I've been looking at airstream basecamps (the older ones) as I want something I can haul my motorcycle with. With your trailer, I could take off my camper top and put the bike in the back of the truck....

It’s not as it’s too valuable to me right now as storage. Still planning on bringing it home this year and I’ll probably mull things over this winter. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Seeing window screens in one of the early posts of this thread I thought I'd add what I made recently for my XJ.   They'd work for Comanches too but I don't think many of us sleep in our MJ's ... not in the cab any way.   :laugh:

198703562_21-08-112.JPG.2696f931882919caafcd29a3505d3ad6.JPG1602485993_21-08-103.JPG.d8def1d036ce3a589e4cd6c616ba24e1.JPG

1 hour ago, PCO6 said:

Seeing window screens in one of the early posts of this thread I thought I'd add what I made recently for my XJ.   They'd work for Comanches too but I don't think many of us sleep in our MJ's ... not in the cab any way.   :laugh:

198703562_21-08-112.JPG.2696f931882919caafcd29a3505d3ad6.JPG1602485993_21-08-103.JPG.d8def1d036ce3a589e4cd6c616ba24e1.JPG

I sleep in my cab more often then not cause sometimes I'm to lazy to pull the cot out from the back. :laugh: i like that though, thanks for sharing. :D

57 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I've got buckets and yet still managed to spend more than my share of uncomfortable nights in the cab.  :laugh:

are those holes individually screened?  or are they to keep out those Alaskan mosquitos?

Definitely to keep the mosquitoes out but also for ventilation.  The main piece is 2 sheets of 1/8" thick plastic glued together with a sheet of fibreglass window screen between them.   I cut the outer sheet so it fits in the window channels.   The inner sheet is a bit smaller.   The bottom piece is also plastic and is what's used for residential fence lattice trim.   It has an "H" cross section.   Basically role the window down, put the "H" section on top of the window, flex the "hole" piece over it and roll the window up.   I also made some rain gutters which work great.  

Both sides provide an opening of about 85 sq. in.  I have a 12V fan inside and it keeps the air moving.   

207190-fbbb223abef7e1b072e8863edec0e5ec.jpg.70b27b0608a3eaaefc66ae64db9f027c.jpg

I gotta get around to making something like that for the Liberty.  the current plan of "wrapping the top of the door in screen and rolling down the window" works ok at night, but the entire concept makes opening the door during the day quite difficult because the screen keep falling down.  :doh:

I have a D-cell powered fan currently, but someday I'll be stepping up to this guy. :D  might as well make use of all these dewalt batteries I already have, right?  the big downside is that it isn't cheap. :( 

shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

I like the idea of having a small fan moving air. That will definitely make a difference. Even in the bed.. :shhh:

I have a 8" 2 speed oscillating 12V fan with a clamp on it.   The clamp will come off when I find a (semi) permanent spot for it in my XJ.  The one I really like though is a small (4" ?) 4 speed hand held fan.   It charges via a USB port either directly to it or a base stand.   It's silent and kind of nice to point it at your head on low speed while you sleep.   

It's also great for stoking a fire!  I usually use charcoal in my UCO Flat Pack grill and can get it hot in no time.     

20210811_192804.jpg.ec55e8666b538de912fa0d4453d5977e.jpg

35 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I have a D-cell powered fan currently, but someday I'll be stepping up to this guy. :D  might as well make use of all these dewalt batteries I already have, right?  the big downside is that it isn't cheap. :( 

shopping.jpg

I've been looking at those too.   I'm also all DeWalt so it's the only one I'd consider ... if I can get over the price!

6 hours ago, PCO6 said:

If your like 5'9 like I am if you lay from the driver's side with your head on the arm rest and your feet out the window it's not to bad lol

1 hour ago, Muncher said:

If your like 5'9 like I am if you lay from the driver's side with your head on the arm rest and your feet out the window it's not to bad lol

I'm 5'8" so I can sleep front to back comfortably in my XJ and side to side sort of comfortably in my MJ!  :))

I'm 5'8" so I can sleep front to back comfortably in my XJ and side to side sort of comfortably in my MJ!  :))
Yea thats pretty awesome. I love the bench in my truck I could sleep on it all night don't know why people think there so uncomfortable

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

shopping.jpg

I got a couple of these on sale last summer. They work great for camping.