Overland MJs

neohic

I know this topic has been gone over in the past but I feel like we could start fresh with all the products and technologies available in the aftermarket right now. So? Who’s getting out there and enjoying their Comanche out in the wild and what’s your setup?

Here’s a build I recently found that’s WAY over the top. I love it!... but it’s more than I’d ever build for myself. 

https://www.overlandkitted.com/four-wheel-drive/2020/2/16/this-diy-jeep-camper-is-a-must-see?format=amp

21B48F87-8EB5-4990-AF22-36CC2F3C27C3.jpeg.e189cd5ef05d0093e1e88aa7c356b827.jpeg

A7D0D185-1254-42E3-BCA6-14FB0112A901.jpeg.9d3b4aa5548979d4f21ecafe1fc1e3a0.jpeg

Let’s talk gear, storage, fuel and water reserves, tents/toppers, along with whatever else you’re running or wanting. Don’t have your truck all decked out but have a shopping wish list? Cool! Post that up too.

Here’s my rig to start:

864AAE3E-C2B7-432F-873A-9B8358664B37.jpeg.56d012f1ad360f8d21b6b89309a1461f.jpeg

BC8B2934-7839-43E2-B8F6-3327A325F7DC.jpeg.29b8a95e7649e5ab510606a934544ca2.jpeg
E92C7AA6-4D98-446B-969A-56CCB7A4457A.jpeg.212b9c92d96fbc0b739e75dfcbadc374.jpeg

3F2CD79B-8994-4160-9CB6-0026CA873DE2.jpeg.5b83c974d6976667bbdaf5b38cea4311.jpeg

... yup... it’s an ancient build thread and admittedly the Comansion has only been used once.

Gear:

• Wildernest topper

• Twin size bed

• Full length storage down each side of the bed

• Fully carpeted interior

• Kitchen “toolbox” with interior storage and counter space

• 10(?) gallon water tank

• Spare tire

Right now it’s sitting in storage with my Eliminator and it’s full of parts. Years ago when I got the whole setup built and dialed in I had dreams of taking it to places like Colorado and exploring around with it in tow. Now I live in Colorado in a tiny house and all I can think about is how big and heavy it is come the day I actually have the time to go out camping again! I’d like to downsize. Probably a rooftop tent mounted on a rack would be ideal for me. I’d have the same storage space (for the most part) in my truck as this without hailing a trailer. Stay tuned come the day it no doubt ends up in the For Sale section again. 

Anyhow... what’s the rest of CC doing for their overland/camping rigs? :popcorn:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can totally appreciate the lightness of a single rig sans trailer. :D  my only real issue with rooftop tents is the lack of a basecamp (kinda like an RV).  I gotta set up and tear down every time I was to go exploring in the Jeep. :(  This isn't a problem with some trips, but I'd need a whole separate tent for places like Moab (which isn't a deal killer since it's just a cheap tent).

between this stupid year and the KJ still randomly acting a fool, the plan has been on the back burners.  This is the overall look though.  truck bed with a cap. :D    One side of the bed will be a sleeping platform with foam, the other will be boxes of gear.  still debating a roofrack on the topper (I want one, but don't really want to pop holes in my otherwise perfect cap).  I'd like to camp with the tailgate down (it's super hard to open) so I'll need to fab up a door.  I was thinking probably from an old tent so it'll have screen and a simple zipper.  With no gas tank or exhaust here's a shocking amount of space under the bed and I'm not sure what to do with it all. :dunno:

20190706_181203.jpg.e6e1b6cfa3a6a63a461ab9118ab14016.jpg

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I can totally appreciate the lightness of a single rig sans trailer. :D  my only real issue with rooftop tents is the lack of a basecamp (kinda like an RV).  I gotta set up and tear down every time I was to go exploring in the Jeep. :( 

What I’ve got in my head for an overland rig is pretty much camping where others would have a difficult time getting to. I’ve got a tent for longer stays/base camp but I’m leaning towards a RTT for the ease of getting away for a weekend trip. There’s plenty of trails around me within a couple hours drive that one could drive to after work on a Friday, set up camp, and hunker down for a quiet weekend alone. 

Excellent point though, Pete! Something else to consider with a trailer as a stand alone base camp is leveling jacks at the rear. What about water storage? Are you thinking of setting your trainer up as a permanent camping rig?

1 hour ago, neohic said:

Are you thinking of setting your trainer up as a permanent camping rig?

that's the problem.  I can't leave it as a pure camping rig. :(  I need to to be a utility trailer too, so whatever I build for inside the bed must be removable.  But honestly that shouldn't be too difficult since it's far less ambitious than the Comansion and there's only me so the bed is smaller. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

... I can't leave it as a pure camping rig. :( ...

Interchangeability! That’s what I’ve got in mind! I’d definitely consider a rack on the topper for both gear but also as an easy lifting location to get the topper off and on. Picture an engine hoist at the rear of the trailer lifting the topper as you drive forward. Getting the topper out of the way obviously makes for a better utility trailer.

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

With no gas tank or exhaust here's a shocking amount of space under the bed and I'm not sure what to do with it all. :dunno:

Oh, I can think of a few things...water storage, battery tray, fold-out/drop-out gas gennie, I even wondered if an alternator could be coupled to the pinion yoke (assuming you didn't gut the diff or swap to a trailer axle) and use it to charge up the tray of batteries while you're on the move.

Haven't thought about this stuff in a while, but I do have a ton of idea-pics from when my uncle was talking about wanting a hunting XJ.  here are a few:

206ace3d4368a4ee7f8f85f000dfa541.jpg

5ec79c4571a97b3f76edd84f389d61ed.jpg

81d3f0600405af18c0ce662066a6f325.jpg

it may not be obvious, but that solar panel slides underneath the rack.

9a8c2ea45576dd4f37e8f961983f1310.jpg

7b606e669bd0b0567542e93a84a580d2.jpg

^ Interesting water tank. I would imagine using black ABS pipe would act as a water heater. Perhaps an “H” or a grid of black fittings could make for a decent amount of water to shower off after a day on the trail. 

Good ideas, folks. Keep them coming. :nutherround:

On 7/26/2020 at 4:39 PM, Pete M said:

I can totally appreciate the lightness of a single rig sans trailer. :D  my only real issue with rooftop tents is the lack of a basecamp (kinda like an RV).  I gotta set up and tear down every time I was to go exploring in the Jeep. :(  This isn't a problem with some trips, but I'd need a whole separate tent for places like Moab (which isn't a deal killer since it's just a cheap tent).

between this stupid year and the KJ still randomly acting a fool, the plan has been on the back burners.  This is the overall look though.  truck bed with a cap. :D    One side of the bed will be a sleeping platform with foam, the other will be boxes of gear.  still debating a roofrack on the topper (I want one, but don't really want to pop holes in my otherwise perfect cap).  I'd like to camp with the tailgate down (it's super hard to open) so I'll need to fab up a door.  I was thinking probably from an old tent so it'll have screen and a simple zipper.  With no gas tank or exhaust here's a shocking amount of space under the bed and I'm not sure what to do with it all. :dunno:

20190706_181203.jpg.e6e1b6cfa3a6a63a461ab9118ab14016.jpg

Pete have you thought about adding some simple lighting to the shell yet like at the very least in that nice little cut out to see in the toolbox? And please tell me you've washed that thing since it left my storage :roflmao:

10610449_Capture_2020-07-28-17-43-462.png.9204e384f4c88be6c5925bfcfadf232f.png

it was the first thing I did once I got home. :D 

Adding a 7 pin connector so I can have power for lights is on the to-do list.  :L:  both of my potential tow rigs have a 7 pin so it's more or less a no-brainer. 

On 7/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, neohic said:

... I would imagine using black ABS pipe would act as a water heater...

Rare chance today that I was sitting in traffic. I look over at this JK next to me and sure enough...

EC0E629F-997F-4866-AFF2-3C23D4D27C8E.jpeg.4220ea6e84a77aebe8978f9193927efc.jpeg

... had one on the other side too. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:26 PM, Muncher said:

I would def like to get a trailer or a bed rack to offroad in my mj someday.

There’s a couple MJ specific racks on the market right now. Otherwise I’ve found that others are using racks intended for Tacomas. There’s always the tape measure approach too... just use what works or make your own. 

Lately I’ve been dreaming of finding another factory short bed sport bar and fitting it backwards at the rear of my Eliminator to hang a RTT between. Is that greedy? Having two factory sport bars mounted in the same truck? :peep:

Confirmed. 

I really like the idea of this. When I go out I like to keep things as simple as possible as far as power usage goes. I’ve never carried an air compressor but rather a small CO2 tank. The regulator I usually have on it tops out at 120# which is awesome for running air tools on the trail or a nailer around the house for a quick job. That same regulator could be set all the way down to 10-15# for running a shower. No power. No fuss. 

Noted for potential future build. :holdwrench: