'86 MJ "Graham Cracker" Long Arm build

I definitely am biased in my liking of your color scheme. I did the exact same thing except my truck is grey but same as yours with black lower panels and black topper.

Great looking truck!  

Buck.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/6/2019 at 9:25 PM, buxmj said:

I definitely am biased in my liking of your color scheme. I did the exact same thing except my truck is grey but same as yours with black lower panels and black topper.

Great looking truck!  

Buck.

Thanks! two tone is always nice with black 

My truck has been up to some mischief recently so I thought Id share some pics. here's a few weekends ago when I met up with some of my buddies to go offroading at Butcher Jones in AZ. My truck fared really well and besides some occasional rubbing i had no problems getting over anything:

20190921_182520.jpg.581f31753fd640654dd46e7bb321f51c.jpgSnapchat-673215895.jpg.4f2c89504131ab9c1cedc7013d897785.jpgSnapchat-297568496.jpg.8cca653b81912e0e2c0912931d54a2ea.jpgSnapchat-585196693.jpg.deb500a5849c83891286e250f26cd6ab.jpg

here's some pics from last weekend when I snuck my truck into a classic car meet that was going on where I worked. All 3 of our trucks being tan was just a coincidence but a very happy one:

20191004_163132.jpg.c5152044312e8f0c716a45f92d6a39f7.jpg

20191004_193517.jpg.279edaffe248fef0b7ff08ff6775c235.jpg

So thats what Graham Cracker has been up to! Ill post some more pics but if you really want to stay on top of what I'm doing my instagram @piratestaz I'm always posting pics of her :)

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Pirate_Staz said:

Camper shell back on just in time for winter! (As if it even gets cold in AZ) definitely gonna have to take it up north and see how she fares in the snow and do some camping :)

20191107_173417.jpg

Dig the ST

I'm not crazy, institution
You're the one who's crazy, institution
You're driving me crazy, institution 

I posted these pics on Instagram too and everyone was commenting on the ST sticker, i had no idea they were still so popular lol. I saw them last year with my dad and I loved it, Psycho Mike is as old as my dad but hes still up there on stage running around like hes young 

6 hours ago, Pirate_Staz said:

I posted these pics on Instagram too and everyone was commenting on the ST sticker, i had no idea they were still so popular lol. I saw them last year with my dad and I loved it, Psycho Mike is as old as my dad but hes still up there on stage running around like hes young 

Probably because music these days sucks @$$.......They've changed their sound but I love the self titled album. Gotta love those old crusty bastards still jamming anot not charging a fortune to see them or by a crappy shirt for $50 bucks. 

11/10/2019

First off thanks to @eaglescout526 for giving me these Hella 550 driving lights, I think they look great on my truck and after a few hours of messing around with wires I got them up and running! I also cleaned out my cluster gauges while I was installing the relay switch in the dash and they look brand spankin new. 

20191108_143722.jpg

20191108_143528.jpg

20191108_143806.jpg

20191108_160334.jpg

20191108_194420.jpg

• 3 months later...

I really need to start updating this with everything @eaglescout526 and I have done to it but gosh darn I am just lazy and always forget. Some good news though, I passed emissions! I'm not entirely sure why but when they tested me all they did was test my gas cap and idle it for about 45 seconds. I think they were under the impression I had a full time 4x4 (awd?) and wouldnt be able to run it on the dyno but hey I'm not complaining. Ive got some more pictures from various camping trips ive taken recently and some updates on small parts here and there ive fixed/upgraded as well so Ill be sure to include pictures of those as well. 

• 3 months later...

Well like the title says its finally time to begin building out my truck to the offroader ive always wanted it to be. Today I ordered the IRO 3-link long-arm XJ/MJ kit and I plan on installing it as soon as it arrives. After that, here's the list of things I plan on buying to bring the rest of my truck up to speed:

- Iron Rock Offroad 3-link  (Currently en-route)

Rustys 4" MJ Leafs

- Shackle Re-locators (already have)

Rustys MJ/XJ 8.5-9" Coils

Ruff Stuff 7/8" Heim High Steer

CavFab OTA Trackbar

Teraflex SYE kit + Adams Driveshaft combo

Dirtbound offroad long bed fender flare/body armor

Dirtbound Offroad long bed rear bumper side armor

- Either 35's or 37's depending on how she sits after the lift

- '05 SuperDuty D60 front axle (check)

- '05 GM 14 Bolt rear (check)

Theres lots more I'm sure I'm forgetting right now but I definitely plan on doing this right and sparing no expense. At the end of it all I hope to finally throw the cummins r2.8 in it so ill finally have a diesel manche. If you have any thoughts on where I should go with this let me hear em! I plan on taking lots of photos as well the more I add on. The tricky part is going to be the SYE kit for sure but thats why we have youtube!

Nothing big to really update on, I finally started buying suspension parts to get me to 9" of lift and hopefully rolling on 37's today. I also scored some MJ original chrome tow mirrors for 70$, I'm not sure if I'm going to put them on or not but I figured for the price it wasnt a bad thing to have on hand. My AC finally died right as summer started to kick off here in AZ and when I took it to get fixed (all it needed was a recharge) a line running from my heater core to the expansion valve cracked turning a 120$ freon refill job into a 1.2K "tear out the dash and replace the heater core" job which i quickly declined. I could probably replace the heater core myself but honestly i don't plan on dailying my truck anymore as I work from home now so it probably won't have AC for awhile, id rather use the money for other upgrades. Another note for those of you who might be looking to sell your MJ, theyre definitely up in value right now. Just for fun i posted mine for sale asking $8000 and sure enough I had several people offering at least 7k, and one guy who actually came to see it in person and offered 7500 cash. I turned him down of course but still I thought it was interesting as I paid only 4500$ for it in much better condition than it is right now haha.

Going to look at some Dana 60s this Friday, a d60 front with the artec truss already welded on and a 14 bolt rear both off an '05 f250 superduty. If these work out ill definitely be running 37s or maybe even 40s. 

By the way i should clarify, my goal here is to build out my truck while keeping as much of the unibody intact as possible, I don't plan on cutting the rear bed fenders if I don't have to so if 37s end up being too big I'm fine with 35s. 

Going to look at some Dana 60s this Friday, a d60 front with the artec truss already welded on and a 14 bolt rear both off an '05 f250 superduty. If these work out ill definitely be running 37s or maybe even 40s. 

F250 rear would not be a 14 bolt. The 14 bolt is a Chevy axle and a different bolt pattern. If it's stock, it's probably a sterling 10.5 (still a very strong axle). :)

You'll definitely need a fair amount of lift for 35s (I'm at 7.5" for the same axles and 35s with no trimming so far, with the same end goal of 40s).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, thecodemonk said:

F250 rear would not be a 14 bolt. The 14 bolt is a Chevy axle and a different bolt pattern. If it's stock, it's probably a sterling 10.5 (still a very strong axle). :)

You'll definitely need a fair amount of lift for 35s (I'm at 7.5" for the same axles and 35s with no trimming so far, with the same end goal of 40s).

My bad I got confused, he does have a 10.5 sterling but I plan on nabbing the 14bolt instead haha

My bad I got confused, he does have a 10.5 sterling but I plan on nabbing the 14bolt instead haha
Cool! What do you think you'll do about the bolt pattern? The Ford axle is the metric pattern (8x170mm) and the chevy is 8x6.5".