XJ Rear Spring NOW Shackle Box Suggestions

Dzimm

So I am in need of new rear springs for my XJ as one broke.  Want a high quality spring around stock height (+1" or so over stock is fine).  Would like to get heavy duty springs if possible but don't want to be spending an arm and a leg.  

I was looking at the Crown springs but many people say they sag within a year.  What else is out that that you have experience with and would recommend? 

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Thought about a bastrad pack? Otherwise maybe the IRO stock ones. 

I do have extra XJ packs but if I'm going to fight it apart, I'd rather never do it again.  I've gone back and forth just rebuilding my pack with what I have but I don't want a stiff ride from adding extra leaves and I'm sure the springs I have will still be sagged.  

General spring has them for the XJ also. I emailed them about the options they showed with weight rating.

It’s a bit of a combo as most are designed to sit at the same height.  The exception is the 755 lbs spring as that’s the LT Offroad spring which sits 1-1/2” higher than the other springs.

This was their response.

2 hours ago, JMO413 said:

General spring has them for the XJ also. I emailed them about the options they showed with weight rating.

It’s a bit of a combo as most are designed to sit at the same height.  The exception is the 755 lbs spring as that’s the LT Offroad spring which sits 1-1/2” higher than the other springs.

This was their response.

That's very helpful, I've heard good things about General and was curious if any of them netted a taller than stock.  So far the 755lb General is the front runner.

18 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

That's very helpful, I've heard good things about General and was curious if any of them netted a taller than stock.  So far the 755lb General is the front runner.

That's what I plan on getting if I ever get the floors back in mine. 

I ran a bastard pack in my xj for quite a few years and it still road decent. If you already have them it may be worth while to play around with the extra set adding in different leaves till you get the height you want. Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to do the on and off dance with the springs, want to throw them on and be done with it.  All the springs I have are already gonna be sagged also so wouldn't really fix the ride height, would just fix the broken leaf for next to nothing cost.  

On 6/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, Dzimm said:

I do have extra XJ packs but if I'm going to fight it apart, I'd rather never do it again.  I've gone back and forth just rebuilding my pack with what I have but I don't want a stiff ride from adding extra leaves and I'm sure the springs I have will still be sagged.  

Bastard pack is the way to go. Which leaf broke, #2?

Here's the deal -- using a main leaf from another XJ, with the eyes cut off as an add-a-leaf generates 1-1/4" to 1/1-2" lift -- with new springs.

On the 2001 XJ that I bought for my daughter, the #2 leaf on the right side was broken. I had a pair of springs from a '92 or '93 that a guy gave me as my reward for helping him install his lift. So I cut the eyes off, dropped all the original leaves out of the '01, and put the complete '92 spring packs in along with leaving my original main leaves in place. I ended up with a ride height 3/4" taller than stock, and I evened that out with 3/4" lift spacers on the front coils.

Ride was very comfortable. Nobody would ever complain that it was "too harsh." The guy who bought it when I sold it loved it.

20 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to do the on and off dance with the springs, want to throw them on and be done with it.  All the springs I have are already gonna be sagged also so wouldn't really fix the ride height, would just fix the broken leaf for next to nothing cost.  

Yeah, use the complete pack, with the eyes cut off the main leaves, and it will fix the sag problem.

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

The large eye on one of the leaves rusted through/broke.  

IMG_20200612_165902.jpg.5f6e75b936328cb95e1024054afd339a.jpg

The problem I have is rust, the good pack I did have is missing the middle 2 leaves because they are in my lowered MJ, the other pack I have the overload leaf is broken due to rust and the other leaves don't look fantastic either.  This week I'll be taking it apart if it cooperates, I'm sure the bolts will end up being cut.  If the packs I remove have halfway decent leaves I may consider rebuilding them with the extra mains if it truly rides fine as you say.  I do have the middle 2 leaves from the MJ pack, I'm slightly curious what would happen if those were swapped into the XJ pack.

5 hours ago, Dzimm said:

The large eye on one of the leaves rusted through/broke.  

The problem I have is rust, the good pack I did have is missing the middle 2 leaves because they are in my lowered MJ, the other pack I have the overload leaf is broken due to rust and the other leaves don't look fantastic either.  This week I'll be taking it apart if it cooperates, I'm sure the bolts will end up being cut.  If the packs I remove have halfway decent leaves I may consider rebuilding them with the extra mains if it truly rides fine as you say.  I do have the middle 2 leaves from the MJ pack, I'm slightly curious what would happen if those were swapped into the XJ pack.

XJs are spring over, so the springs are arched so they sit basically flat at curb weight. MJ springs gave more arch.

Rancho lists the same AAL kit for both the XJ and the MJ. IIRC, they claim it provides a 2-1/2" lift for both. I figured that was impossible so one day I called Rancho and managed to get through to a product engineer. I explained what I thought was wrong with their listing. The gal listened, put me on hold for about five minutes, then came back and told me I was right -- she said in  an MJ the AAL kit should be good for about 1" to 1-1/2" of lift.

So there's your basis for comparison. In an XJ, another XJ main lift is good for 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". My guess is that another #2 leaf would give you maybe 1". I think an MJ main or #2 leaf would probably be good for 2" to 3".

I put these crown leaf springs in my wife’s XJ in 2015, she put 100k on it in 4 years and the sag was negligible. We towed campers and utility trailers with it and I load all kinds of crap in it.

We have put them in 3 jeeps so far and all had the same result. The current owners of two of them love the little bit of extra height and the slightly firmer ride. They handle very well with these springs.

4886186AA leaf assembly on Amazon.

$88.98

I have a set of Crown Up Countrys. I haven't installed them. A negative for me was getting the bushings in. The small ones were easy.  I bought Crown bushings. I could not get them in. I measured with a caliper, and there was .060-.080 press fit. I have to use an Enerpack to spread the eye. I do have a set of OME springs. Much easier to press in the bushings. I though Rancho had a full spring set for 1.5 lift. Also, ProComp and AAL. 

Welp, I have a different issue to figure out before leaves now... 

IMG_20200615_185537.jpg.2c1a20079622b459281f50d8a4ba5946.jpg

How about recommendations on new shackle boxes?  The HDengineering option seems to be the most budget friendly.  I do however like the extra mounting points of the Rusty's.

2 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Welp, I have a different issue to figure out before leaves now... 

IMG_20200615_185537.jpg.2c1a20079622b459281f50d8a4ba5946.jpg

How about recommendations on new shackle boxes?  The HDengineering option seems to be the most budget friendly.  I do however like the extra mounting points of the Rusty's.

I could check mine in my parts rig if you want OEM. 

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

I could check mine in my parts rig if you want OEM. 

I would do OEM but my welder isn't good enough to burn them in.  The bolt on option will be better for me.  Plus my floor isn't exactly existent above it so the OEM mount won't work anymore.

23 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I would do OEM but my welder isn't good enough to burn them in.  The bolt on option will be better for me.  Plus my floor isn't exactly existent above it so the OEM mount won't work anymore.

Sounds good. 

Ordered these, comes with all hardware including the nut strips.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202790197431

Screenshot_20200616-003851.png.91c3709361d8dd1b34e759b8f364d562.png

Not expected until second week of July but that gives me time to get all of the rust cut out and cleaned up.  Also decided that since I had to spend the money on this, I will be rebuilding the leaf packs with what I have to save some money and now that I have no choice but to keep this of the road for a while.  

Plan is to rebuild the packs using the best individual leaves I have, add in an extra main leaf as Eagle suggested, and use my spare MJ shackles and possibly the extra (up to) 1/2" lift these shackle mounts offer to get myself back to ride hight or just slightly over.  I'm currently sitting at 1-1/4" of sag so hopefully I can make that all back up.  

I ordered the Ironman too. They are one of the few that have 'No Lift'. I also plan an IRO Boomerang shackle. So, as described above, I'll have stock no lift, 1/2", 1" and 1-1/2" lift options. I think the Ironman is bolt on and weld on. I think Stinky Fab might have a "No Lift' shackle.

Yeah there was a few options out there for a no lift box.  They didn't all tie into the back support, which is crucial for me since my floor is compromised.  The price was right for this one and came with the nut strips, which is super nice.  Most of them don't and they are freakin expensive by themselves.

13 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Yeah there was a few options out there for a no lift box.  They didn't all tie into the back support, which is crucial for me since my floor is compromised.  The price was right for this one and came with the nut strips, which is super nice.  Most of them don't and they are freakin expensive by themselves.

Also, hard to beat Ironman 4X4 Fabrication's quality. Yes, usually have to wait a bit.  Seems both of us will wait a bit longer. I ordered mine last week. Having issues getting out the spring bolts. I want a backup plan. 

3 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

Also, hard to beat Ironman 4X4 Fabrication's quality. Yes, usually have to wait a bit.  Seems both of us will wait a bit longer. I ordered mine last week. Having issues getting out the spring bolts. I want a backup plan. 

Yeah I read a lot of good things about them.  I messaged them at midnight last night asking if the ETA was accurate and got a response before 9am this morning.  They have pushed out the estimates just due to the corona fiasco, more accurate estimate is closer to two weeks just want to give themselves a bit of extra window in case something happens.  Had a bit of a conversation with the person as well.

So far impressed by their customer service.