"I didn't know Jeep made a pickup."

87MJTIM

I got that line again.

I was getting gas today.  A woman (possibly 30 +/-) was behind me filling up.  I noticed she was looking at my truck.  As we were finishing, she called out to me the above comment.

I told her Jeep made pickups from the late 40s until 1992.  

She then commented, with a hint of disgust, about the new Wrangler pick up.

Yesterday I was in the front yard as an older gentleman was walking in front of my house pushing a baby stroller. He stopped and said "you must really like Jeeps" and proceeded to tell me he has a '91 Comanche back on his ranch that he loves. Then he said if he found another one he would buy it and asked if I wanted to sell one of mine.

There are all types in this world.

36 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Yesterday I was in the front yard as an older gentleman was walking in front of my house pushing a baby stroller. He stopped and said "you must really like Jeeps" and proceeded to tell me he has a '91 Comanche back on his ranch that he loves. Then he said if he found another one he would buy it and asked if I wanted to sell one of mine.

and that's when you handed him a Club card, yes?

57 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

I've had multiple people stop and offer to buy the comanche (current and previous). I always throw out my "sell it for this today" number, but never get a bite

7 minutes ago, hedbutter said:

I always throw out my "sell it for this today" number

I've only had one person actually throw a number.  He did give a respectable offer, but I  wasn't even thinking about selling.

When asked, I always respond, "everything has a price".

More to the point of the thread ... I've heard the remark more times than I can count and lately it usually leads to review of the new Gladiator.

Just now, NHMJXJ said:

I've only had one person actually throw a number.  He did give a respectable offer, but I  wasn't even thinking about selling.

When asked, I always respond, "everything has a price".

More to the point of the thread ... I've heard the remark more times than I can count and lately it usually leads to review of the new Gladiator.

Yep! ive had some reasonable offers (if i was going to sell).

I also have the gladiator, both are good at very different things.

I'm still kicking myself for selling mine, but.....it was just sitting in my garage for long stretches at a time.  I kinda screwed up, built it up too much to be a DD in any kind of practical way, but then the couple local clubs I was in around here folded up.  Nowhere to wheel it legally, and worse yet, noone to wheel it with.  I sold it for less than I probably could have gotten, but the guy I sold it too was a good 'ol country boy that I knew was gonna get the use out of it that I built it for.  He and his wife showed up in their econobox sedan, jumped out, looked at it, and handed me a wad of cash.  I gave him the keys and they drove away.  I keep checking craigslist every once in awhile to see if he ever puts it back up for sale, but I've never seen it again. :sad:

The Gladiator is actually the 5th line of trucks Jeep has built.

First was the Willys truck.

Second was the FC 150 and 170

Third was the (real) Gladiator

Fourth was the Comanche

Fifth was the JT.

19 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

I'm still kicking myself for selling mine, but.....it was just sitting in my garage for long stretches at a time.  I kinda screwed up, built it up too much to be a DD in any kind of practical way, but then the couple local clubs I was in around here folded up.  Nowhere to wheel it legally, and worse yet, noone to wheel it with.  I sold it for less than I probably could have gotten, but the guy I sold it too was a good 'ol country boy that I knew was gonna get the use out of it that I built it for.  He and his wife showed up in their econobox sedan, jumped out, looked at it, and handed me a wad of cash.  I gave him the keys and they drove away.  I keep checking craigslist every once in awhile to see if he ever puts it back up for sale, but I've never seen it again. :sad:

I miss my first one... I don't miss the second one. I like the 3rd one so far but would sell it for a '91 maybe. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, dasbulliwagen said:

The later J trucks, the M715, and the early Gladiator were all on the same platform. Argument could be made for the half cab, the CJ8 Scrambler, and the CJ10.

I lump the CJ10 in with the SJ Gladiator/M715/J trucks.  It was built on a J10 frame.

If you call a scrambler a truck then every CJ and wrangler would be one.  The only thing that made it a "truck" was the half cab, which you can do on any of the others.