Turbine’s actually worth anything?

as with all things, the going price is dependent on condition, scarcity in your area, and luck.  If yours are for sale, pick a price and plop them in the classifieds on CC, craigslist and faceybook and see what the people looking to buy say. :L:  they are the ones whose opinion matters most.

Boy ol' boy! That's a can of worms! :laugh: I love mine and earned them through a work trade. So, no cash, just did some work for guy. Some folks get them for free too. And some folks trade for parts. The tire looks good, so that's a plus.

These are my favorite XJ/MJ wheel.  I've collected a set buying them one, two, or three at a time at junkyards.  Generally pay $25 - $40 per wheel.  I've also bought sets usually around $100.  Exceptionally good shape might bring more.  Poorer shape might be considerably less.  I picked my worst set and had them powder coated.  Very happy with results, but expensive enough I don't think I'd ever get my money back if I was to sell them.

I've listed aluminum wheels for sale at about scrap aluminum prices.  Some sell, some get scrapped.

IMG_6025.jpg

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I picked my worst set and had them powder coated.  Very happy with results, but expensive enough I don't think I'd ever get my money back if I was to sell them.

I've got a set that I've thought about powder coating. Do you mind sharing what that cost you? Just trying to get a ballpark. Thanks......

1 hour ago, WahooSteeler said:

I've got a set that I've thought about powder coating. Do you mind sharing what that cost you? Just trying to get a ballpark. Thanks......

It's been a while now, and I didn't get a receipt.  But I wanna say $400 for 5 wheels and a few odds & ends thrown in.  That is with a warranty that if they ever peel, he will redo them free.  I actually don't remember exactly now.  I had a set of Jeep CJ wagon wheels and a 6 cylinder Borla header done (header done in high heat resistant).  It was expensive.  Then I had several batches of various brackets, Jeep armor, etc, and it was surprisingly cheap.

I'm set up to do my own powder coating now, but not sure I would tackle a set of 5 wheels.  I'd be doing them one at a time in my garage (kitchen sized) oven, where this business can do them in one shot in the walk in oven.

If you are thinking about it, just call around to your local shops to get an idea.  Obviously, bringing in a set of wheels (no tires) and being flexible on the time frame would be cheaper than driving the car in and letting them handle it start to finish.  This place does a lot of bulk work at the city level, so the fact I am flexible on completion time helps get a good price.

EIDT: the owner is a great guy who has helped me out with other contacts, a guy who does zinc & cadmium plating, and a pinstriper for my CJ wheels.

IMG_5953.jpg

12 hours ago, schardein said:

But I wanna say $400 for 5 wheels and a few odds & ends thrown in.

I was thinking right in this price range. I will probably start on the worst wheel myself and see how much time it takes to clean it up and restore it. I know it's a process. Thanks