Water leaking into floorboard of passenger side

The water is coming in at the bottom of the heater fan housing down into the passenger floorboard

to the point of several inches if it's a really hard rain.  I was told that if you take the wipers off and 

take that mesh cover off I would find a weep hole that has become clogged.  So, I did.  

If there's a weep hole in that space, I sure as hell can't find it and can't see how water would get

from that trough down to that rubber seal around the heater blower.  I'm considering drilling a hold just below the fan housing

but am not certain that it would come out on the engine side of the firewall.

Any other suggestions?

IMG_20191120_135033544_HDR.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, armcallister said:

Make sure the AC condensate drain is open.  I was getting water in that area, thinking I had a leak, but ended up was actually a plugged drain.

Where is that drain?  I might agree with that except I can see where it's running down the motor side of my firewall

and pooling right below the fan motor then getting behind the gasket and into the passenger

foot well.

IMG_20191121_140852170.jpg

IMG_20191121_140900850.jpg

Virginia, on my 87, 4.0 Renix it is located near the bottom of the evaporative emissions canister.  Looking up from underneath,  the end looks like a sort of "pinch valve" and appears to me about 3/4" diameter.  Might be different on your 91, but you should be able to find it from underneath in approximately the same position.  Use a stiff wire (i.e. coat hanger) to rod it out.

20191125_110845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, JMO413 said:

Good to hear!

Sadness....had some rain this past week and there is still a

leak. Nothing like it was but there was about a pint of water on the passenger side.  

I see where it's entering the engine compartment and running down the firewall

to the inset where the blower motor is.  I'm thinking of using silicone

caulk to make something like a roof gutter to divert the water

away from that blower motor opening.

• 2 months later...

Hey Virginia I just stumbled on this topic, I know it's a few months old. My MJ has 2 small water leaks that end up with water in the passenger floorboard. One is the seal for the rear glass, right in the bottom corner on the passenger side, theres a small trickle that will come down from the seal, down the interior of the cab, then to the floor. The 2nd leak came from where the blower motor seals to the firewall. There was a bit of seam sealer that was interfering with the proper seal. I used a dremel to grind it down, then used some silicone to seal it back up. My 98 XJ leaks here too fyi.

cErZTjx.jpg

On 2/14/2020 at 7:29 PM, Airborne Janitor said:

Hey Virginia I just stumbled on this topic, I know it's a few months old. My MJ has 2 small water leaks that end up with water in the passenger floorboard. One is the seal for the rear glass, right in the bottom corner on the passenger side, theres a small trickle that will come down from the seal, down the interior of the cab, then to the floor. The 2nd leak came from where the blower motor seals to the firewall. There was a bit of seam sealer that was interfering with the proper seal. I used a dremel to grind it down, then used some silicone to seal it back up. My 98 XJ leaks here too fyi.

cErZTjx.jpg

What did you grind down and where did you put the silicone?

3 hours ago, Virginia said:

What did you grind down and where did you put the silicone?

Looks to me like he ground down the seam sealer (just a caulk material) that was preventing the blower motor from mounting flat to the fire wall, then used silicone to re-install and seal up around the blower motor.  I am having a similar leak at the bottom of my blower motor, and just plan to put silicone in the bottom edge of the opening where it mounts, from the outside. 

23 minutes ago, Andy in Pa said:

Looks to me like he ground down the seam sealer (just a caulk material) that was preventing the blower motor from mounting flat to the fire wall, then used silicone to re-install and seal up around the blower motor.  I am having a similar leak at the bottom of my blower motor, and just plan to put silicone in the bottom edge of the opening where it mounts, from the outside. 

I'll  work on that when it stops raining.

2 hours ago, Andy in Pa said:

Correct. The picture shows the problem, not the solution. If you look in the picture you can see a faint white horizontal line where the bottom of the blower motor sat/sealed. In the bottom right you can see some of the brownish seam sealer where it would interfere with the blower motor seal. You can see traces of muddy water below it. I used a grinding stone on a dremel to dig it out, which revealed there is a section of overlapping sheet metal that will have to be "resealed". You're basically grinding out the protrusion of seam sealer, then resealing it as flat as possible with the rest of the firewall to have a clean fit of the blower motor seal.