Did I win the super bowl?

Pete M

so I'm sure some of you have heard of Disney's new star wars lands. :D  well the florida version is opening end of August and I heard they were having previews ahead of opening day (castmember, passholder, press, etc).  I've been watching the opening of the Cali one closely (not everything went smoothly) and was curious as to how the soft openings were going to be held in disney world.  so one day I got an email from Disney about all the hoopla (I'm a passholder so I get a lot of emails).  I clicked on it hoping for some details to satiate my curiosity and got stuck in their stupid auto-queue instead. :doh: whatever.  so I walked away to do something more useful and forgot about it for a couple hours.  came back later to find the screen was asking me to sign in.  excellent, now I'll get some info!  well, sorta.  turns out I was given 3 spots (me and my folks) for the evening of Aug 20th.  wait, what just happened?  Talked to my folks about it and they were way more into it than I had thought and suddenly we're making plans to haul the camper 16 hrs round trip for a whopping 3 days of florida summer. :crazy:   thank goodness the trailer has A/C!  :grinyes: 

So next week I'm sure you can look forward to a plethora of pics of the engineering and architectural details of a billion dollar project.  maybe a shot of Chewie too.  :L: 

I admit I'm a little bit geeked for this.  :banana: 

Not to kill the joy tooo much but I just read a couple articles about Disney and Star Wars(really hate Disney for buying Star Wars)but I found it hilarious when the CEO of Disney admitted that they have no idea what they are doing with Star Wars as they reported that galaxy's edge became a flop at Disneyland. 

But hey, I have heard that it should be something to go see once. Just the merch costs more than a set of MJ tail lights.

Have fun!

Can't kill my joy at all. :L:  I couldn't care less whether they lost money or not.  They probably need to learn a lesson here anyways. 

we figured it out a long time ago that Disney is waaaaay cheaper if you simply don't buy any of their stuff.   :D   (At least not on property that is.  my mom has quite a collection of Mickey ears and hats that were all found over the years at local resale shops for like a buck each instead of $30 a pop.)  we bring our own food and drinks and just don't do any of those expensive parties and crap. 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

we figured it out a long time ago that Disney is waaaaay cheaper if you simply don't buy any of their stuff.   :D   (At least not on property that is.  my mom has quite a collection of Mickey ears and hats that were all found over the years at local resale shops for like a buck each instead of $30 a pop.)  we bring our own food and drinks and just don't do any of those expensive parties and crap. 

That's the way to do it.

we recently discovered a Florida state park that's very near WDW and costs a whopping $30 a night for a campsite with electricity/water.   :D   Disney can keep their $300/ night hotel rooms.  :fistshake1: 

oh, and we've found the refillable popcorn bucket to be a screaming deal :popcorn: (especially if you just bring your bucket from last time and just pay for the refills :peep: )   

enjoy Pete.....we're heading back in October.  We're just planning on walking through the new SW park, not going to try to ride anything (or buy anything LOL).  My wife's friend (and jiu-jitsu coach) is a HUGE fan, and is in CA right now with his family at Disney.  He said it not too crowded, relatively speaking.

be prepared that you might need to wait in a line (hopefully a digital line rather than physical) just to get into the land. :(  Disneyland just doesn't have the crowds that are ever-present at Disney World.  If word got out that the land was empty, there are 10s of thousands of people already on property that can switch their plans and flood into DHS.  :fistshake2:  If you feel lucky you can try and snag a reservation at Oga's Cantina and that will guarantee you access into starwarsland like a hour before.  We managed to get one for a later trip when the second ride should be open.  :L:  

• 2 weeks later...

kudos to the engineers, painters, concrete sculptors and other artists.  that land is just mind blowing in detail and realism!   :applause:

IMG_7788.JPG

IMG_7787.JPG

Hondo, the best anamatronic to date   :D 

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

these guys walk around an interact with the "intergalactic tourists".  It's weird to watch them in action because their words are entirely canned.  The phrases are activated through hand gestures and buttons on the guns.

IMG_7645.JPG

pathway "through" the millennium falcon to get tot he cockpit for the ride

IMG_7607.JPG

from the queue to the MF ride.  you can see the detail put into the top of the 1:1 scale ship outside

IMG_7586.JPG

that's an anamatronic behind the cage.  the walls in this building are COVERED in easter eggs for star wars fans.

IMG_7481.JPG

the MF is insanely detailed.  you can't walk up and touch it though.  :(

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7428.JPG

this is the ceiling of the toy shop in the market (which is set up to look like a local Batuu alien makes little toys out of scraps).  that's the falcon evading through an asteroid field (which would be a story that the shop owner would have heard) made fo bits of metals and such.

IMG_7358.JPG

this is set up as a wood carvers stand.  there was never any body here, but it was made to look like they just stepped out for a break.  that's an R2 unit converted into a small firepit.  I wish I knew what they used to make the pile of "ash" underneath of it because it looks crazy real. :D  

IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7326.JPG

41 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

We were there last year and Avatar was pretty cool. The lines were almost 2 hours though.

fast passes are key!  I've been on the avatar ride many times now and not once did I wait in that crazy line.  :D 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

fast passes are key!  I've been on the avatar ride many times now and not once did I wait in that crazy line.  :D 

When did u went there and yes fast pass are the best! I went in September and it wasnt that bad as last time umm maybe 5 or 6 years ago and it was in July it surely was very crowded and line waiting are insane....:headpop:so we learn something new so in September was best time of year bec of kids is back to school so that mean much less kids at Disney. :L:

it was just last week during passholder previews.  We didn't plan on going this month, but Disney gave us free 4 hour passes to see the new star wars land so we couldn't say no. :D  january is another good month.  holiday weeks are to be avoided. 

Disney-World-Crowds-in-2020-from-yourfir

We're there from Sunday till Thursday (I think).  Staying at Port Orleans Riverside (I think).

i say I think because my wife plans all of this.....I just get to pay for it all, lol:laugh:

edit:. check that, we're staying at the Caribbean Beach resort, just south of Epcot.