Another way to get a factory CPS

4 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I paid $25 shipped 

That one was the one on eBay right? 

And what I mean is there is one dealer in the US that has that part left and Chrysler asks $156 which is incredibly laughable that they were asking for that for just two model years that the part is for when there is a cheaper kit from Chrysler. 

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

That one was the one on eBay right? 

And what I mean is there is one dealer in the US that has that part left and Chrysler asks $156 which is incredibly laughable that they were asking for that for just two model years that the part is for when there is a cheaper kit from Chrysler. 

I agree and I'd never pay that either . I was just pointing out the possibility of more being out there at a good price 

7 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I agree and I'd never pay that either . I was just pointing out the possibility of more being out there at a good price 

It’s very well possible that there could be a few more lingering. I know there’s another part number that does the same job as that kit so I wonder why Chrysler has two kits that do the same thing. 4443965 was the other kit and it’s priced at $66 with brig still around at other dealers. I think about 17 of those exist if I’m remembering correctly. 

7 minutes ago, Minuit said:

I for one am curious about this kit. What's it for?

Chrysler doesn’t show it in their catalogues but my best guess is it looks like a kit that hard wires the CPS to the ECU. All Chrysler has it labeled as is “KIT” and it was only for the ‘87/88 model years. 

39 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Chrysler doesn’t show it in their catalogues but my best guess is it looks like a kit that hard wires the CPS to the ECU. All Chrysler has it labeled as is “KIT” and it was only for the ‘87/88 model years. 

That's correct. The factory CPS connects to the ECU through the main wiring harness. This kit bypasses that long run with two wires that go directly through the firewall to the ECU. You could easily make the upgrade yourself by using a connector off an old CPS and just tapping into the two wires at the ECU.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, eaglescout526 said:

It’s very well possible that there could be a few more lingering. I know there’s another part number that does the same job as that kit so I wonder why Chrysler has two kits that do the same thing. 4443965 was the other kit and it’s priced at $66 with brig still around at other dealers. I think about 17 of those exist if I’m remembering correctly. 

It looks like that part number is just for the wiring.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Russell E. Gray said:

89 Comanche 4.0. i just had my 3rd one put on in 5 yrs, the last less than a yr ago, paying $56 for it. Why are they failing? This is the Crank Shaft  Position Indicator, as shown in the Haynes Manual ? I get them @ NAPA

NOS ones show up on ebay from time to time. 

Part# 33004761 Mopar

Good Morn: Then are you telling me that i am buying inferior parts through NAPA. I should be getting the Mopar part? Thanks for the response. I do not want to sell my wheels, but it is tough when i can not depend on it. Can you tell me a little more about the harness that was talked about in earlier Posts'?

1 hour ago, Russell E. Gray said:

Hi, That is what i wanted to hear, i will go to my local Jeep Dealer Monday. @ 187k mileage, i do not want to sell it. Thanks again. Got my Brakes on the + side after joining this site, @ 79 i do not venture into any lrg opts, any more.

Discontinued part, dealer won't have it.

15 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Discontinued part, dealer won't have it.

That is not true at all. Just because the part was discontinued from production does not mean that any dealer may or may not have it. Vintage parts right now has 61 CPS's for the 4.0L that a dealer can purchase to sell. All he has to do is go up to a counter man and ask him to order it from vintage or from any other dealer that has it and within a week he will have the part.

It does not hurt to venture to the dealer every once in a while and ask.

29 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That is not true at all. Just because the part was discontinued from production does not mean that any dealer may or may not have it. Vintage parts right now has 61 CPS's for the 4.0L that a dealer can purchase to sell. All he has to do is go up to a counter man and ask him to order it from vintage or from any other dealer that has it and within a week he will have the part.

It does not hurt to venture to the dealer every once in a while and ask.

What part number?

I'm well aware of Vintage, I've bought from them through my local dealer. 

Also, what price? 

image.png.2485be3a46852556f5f28184cafca150.png

List is at $76.45. Says its for 87 4.0L and it is also listed for the 2.5L, I'm sure it would work anyways.

There is another part number. 3300476, but there are 18 left across the U.S. List is $48.60.

$76 is a bit much but I'd rather pay for quality than the quantity on this part.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.png.2485be3a46852556f5f28184cafca150.png

List is at $76.45. Says its for 87 4.0L and it is also listed for the 2.5L, I'm sure it would work anyways.

There is another part number. 3300476, but there are 18 left across the U.S. List is $48.60.

$76 is a bit much but I'd rather pay for quality than the quantity on this part.

I can appreciate that you have (apparently) some sort of dealer access, however............

In the Renix world the 4.0 and 2.5 CPSs are the same. 

#33004761 is an AMC/Renix/Siemens/Mopar original part. 

Renix is Bendix is Siemens. 

I'm not certain of the other part number, not all NOS or current Mopar is NOS OEM, this has been discussed here before-

FAVeemj.jpg

In my 88 2.5 currently is an original Renix CPS, functioning properly for better than 30 years. 

I have also played the NOS game, fun in the beginning but becomes a chore and a bore. Ultimately NOS will disappear. 

As you point out only 18 33004761s available in the US and none overseas that I could find......I thought that Renault might have carried it over from other vehicles. 

I currently have 2, Siemens, NOS OEM. 

3PkXw2d.jpg

T8rbaDb.jpg

There will come a day when you will gladly pay for any part that actually works. Time is not on your side. 

Actually I still have a 33004761 from when they were still available from the depots. They quickly disappeared shortly after I ordered one. I don't know if the original one worked or not but it was tossed from being caked. It has only been changed three times. One was a napa and its fate was from the trans blowing. Another was a crown that got eaten by the fly wheel and the third is napa. Fourth will be the Mopar.

I do not know much about the other number other than it is another alternative till they disappear.  I do know about the Siemens(Bendix) making the CPS, they probably don't anymore.

Renault did use Renix in a couple vehicles across the pond and on their own vehicles here, but it is unknown as to whether or not they used the same sensor setup.(I would imagine so but I don't own or know anyone who knows a Renault or have any info on Renaults other than the partnership with AMC and being partially owned by its government.)