Another way to get a factory CPS

1 hour ago, Russell E. Gray said:

Good Morn: I will be chk around Mon Morn. I am down in S/E corner of N.C.  out side Wilmington, small town of Rocky Point. Thanks for all the Assist. Be safe. Russ

I have two Jeep dealers near me without going to Knoxville. The parts manager for one is an old-timer who is very helpful and has worked with me in the past. The other is run by young guys who flat told me they were not interested in finding parts which are not 'in the system'. 

Talk to the parts people.........hopefully  you'll find helpful people. 

As a side note-

I used to order through Morris 4x4 until they removed Comanche from their parts search list. I could still order by part number but I refuse, I sent them a complaint email some time ago and they never bothered to respond. You'll find that others don't bother to list the Comanche either. You'll see the XJ guys get pushed out before long. 

• 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Bringing this thread back because looks like I need a CPS. Have located the kit 83100066 and also just the CPS 33004761, any special reason to get the kit vs just the CPS? $70 more for the kit. 

The kit will directly bypass the harness and go straight into the ECU, thus eliminating any and all resistance between the CPS and the ECU.

21 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

The kit will directly bypass the harness and go straight into the ECU, thus eliminating any and all resistance between the CPS and the ECU.

Certainly seems advantageous, I guess the question then would be how hard is it to get it to the ECU and connected?  

15 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Certainly seems advantageous, I guess the question then would be how hard is it to get it to the ECU and connected?  

It's simple to do but its time consuming. If you have a general know how on splicing wires and drilling a hole through to the ECU, it can be done. Luckily I picked up a couple TSB books from 88 and 89, so it has instructions on how to do this fix.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

It's simple to do but its time consuming. If you have a general know how on splicing wires and drilling a hole through to the ECU, it can be done. Luckily I picked up a couple TSB books from 88 and 89, so it has instructions on how to do this fix.

Meh, not sure if I want to deal with that, although replacing the CPS itself seems to be a bit of a pain anyway. 

8 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Parts manual showing CPS #T0739789 for '87 model years, can anyone confirm if these will work on 88-90 Renix also? Obviously a reason it is listed separately, curious why and if it's an alternative.

That should work regardless of the years but that number is a former Renault number to Chrysler number. My best guess is it started out as a 2.5L sensor and became universal for all engines and Renix systems.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

That should work regardless of the years but that number is a former Renault number to Chrysler number. My best guess is it started out as a 2.5L sensor and became universal for all engines and Renix systems.

So to confirm, you think it should work on Renix 4.0's from 87-90?

5 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yeah catalog shows that it works for both engines and fits all Renix years.

Yup, just came across the Crown version on Quadratec that lists that part # for 87-90 2.5L and 4.0L. Also came across a thread from 2016 on here where Cruiser confirmed the same question. 

8 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Yup, just came across the Crown version on Quadratec that lists that part # for 87-90 2.5L and 4.0L. Also came across a thread from 2016 on here where Cruiser confirmed the same question. 

Well theres 48 left of the Renault number T0739789, they run about $50, almost about the same as after market.

24 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well theres 48 left of the Renault number T0739789, they run about $50, almost about the same as after market.

Just ordered one as backup to the 33004761 I found and ordered. Online chat person confirmed the T# part as available, but I've had that turn out not to be true before. It was $60 plus shipping. I've learned the hard way on cheap parts, so whenever I can get OEM I'll pony up the price for that peace of mind. 

5 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Just ordered one as backup to the 33004761 I found and ordered. Online chat person confirmed the T# part as available, but I've had that turn out not to be true before. It was $60 plus shipping. I've learned the hard way on cheap parts, so whenever I can get OEM I'll pony up the price for that peace of mind. 

Was it Vintage parts you spoke to? But that's not bad and will be worth it in the long run.