Good day at the junkyard and golden grail of finds

Blaine.D

I tried to see if there was a previous thread about junkyard finds and I couldn't find it so forgive me for creating a new one about junkyard finds. I went to Knoxville Pull a part for the first time after I saw, a few days ago that they had a Comanche that came in Wednesday. The truck was already strip of tail gate, drivers tail light, roll bar, and back glass. Surprisingly the truck still have some goodies. I pull the bed light and switch, e brake release cable, console insert, clutch switch for cruise, and full size console insert. Then I went and looked at the 10 Cherokees they had near the Comanche. Found a lower dash trim and a few badges in one Cherokee. Finally in 1987 Cherokee I found the holy grail of unicorns a Dana 44 with a Trac Lok. Took me and my father 20-30 mins to get it free and then the yard forklift brought the axle to the front of the lot so we could get it loaded up. So the question now is how much I stole the Dana 44 for and with taxes and core it was $125. The deals on the other items were the bed light and switch for $9, brake release for $2.  The biggest shock about the Cherokee that had the Dana 44 was that according to the yard sticker it was out in the yard for a month and no one got it before I came today.IMG_20190601_122836826_HDR.jpg.b156e9726f9af12905d96c9f08d93b37.jpgIMG_20190601_122830466_HDR.jpg.4153a9e02c526932fdf336dad6f5c84d.jpgIMG_20190601_205018228.jpg.93d0df808df0069e71bf5230de3091f0.jpgIMG_20190601_210440493.jpg.b5068ea14229411fc66af950b7e2f988.jpgIMG_20190601_123401855_HDR.jpg.dcc4e5aea9062a12851be39d2ea10056.jpgIMG_20190601_172758392.jpg.1d8d34cf972b19f013eba5f389a2ddb6.jpgIMG_20190601_211213010.jpg.9d3d789b1c94ccea63ec605c392cf7c1.jpg

Might have to check out this Knoxville pull-a-part some day when I'm in the area. The one in Nashville hasn't had a decent or old jeep in months. All WJs and other random Chrysler crap now.

44 minutes ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

Nice score!! :banana:

I can't complain but the only way the 44 could be better if it can out of that Comanche and the Comanche was a metric ton. Totally worth the 6 hours round-trip to that place. :bananagun:

47 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

next time you go there, please fix the grill.  It is upside-down.  :))

If I go back I will see about fixing it but it's going to be awhile.:L:

48 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Might have to check out this Knoxville pull-a-part some day when I'm in the area. The one in Nashville hasn't had a decent or old jeep in months. All WJs and other random Chrysler crap now.

This one has more wjs and libertys than Cherokees and Comanche but like I said there's about 10 Cherokees and one Comanche. The Cherokee had 2 or 3 are renix years while the rest are newer and the Comanche was an 86 2.8 v6 5speed 4x4. Here's the link to the Knoxville website for anyone curious https://www.pullapart.com/locations/knoxville/ 

Just now, Blaine.D said:

This one has more wjs and libertys than Cherokees and Comanche but like I said there's about 10 Cherokees and one Comanche. The Cherokee had 2 or 3 are renix years while the rest are newer and the Comanche was an 86 2.8 v6 5speed 4x4. Here's the link to the Knoxville website for anyone curious https://www.pullapart.com/locations/knoxville/ 

Yeah, "only" 2 or 3 Renix years sounds positively heavenly compared to the crap we get in middle TN. The one in nashville currently has 2 XJs, and both are 97+.

1 minute ago, Minuit said:

Yeah, "only" 2 or 3 Renix years sounds positively heavenly compared to the crap we get in middle TN. The one in nashville currently has 2 XJs, and both are 97+.

Better than my local one with one 88 Cherokee renix that is stripped and that's why I have a whole Cherokee in my backyard. 

This yard sounds like Louisville yard two years ago.  They had a Comanche and like 12 XJs, a few being Renix.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  Now they have just a couple new model XJs.  The supply dried up within 6 Months of my owning my Comanche.  I keep an eye on Louisville and Indianapolis every now and then, but it seems to be hopeless these days.

I believe the supply of MJs and pre 1993 XJs is rapidly drying up.  Among the Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta East/North/South Pull-A-Part yards, there was one 1988 XJ and one 1992 XJ.  There were a few 1993, 1995, 1996 XJs but most were later models.  The used parts supply is dwindling, which explains why some forum members pull everything they can get and hang on to it for future requirements.

10 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

How did the bed look? I assume it's a long bed since it's an 86

The bed is a long bed overall was in good condition except for the holes drilled for the roll bar and one side behind the bumper there was a decent size dent if I recalled correctly.

3 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

This yard sounds like Louisville yard two years ago.  They had a Comanche and like 12 XJs, a few being Renix.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  Now they have just a couple new model XJs.  The supply dried up within 6 Months of my owning my Comanche.  I keep an eye on Louisville and Indianapolis every now and then, but it seems to be hopeless these days.

2 hours ago, Keyav8r said:

I believe the supply of MJs and pre 1993 XJs is rapidly drying up.  Among the Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta East/North/South Pull-A-Part yards, there was one 1988 XJ and one 1992 XJ.  There were a few 1993, 1995, 1996 XJs but most were later models.  The used parts supply is dwindling, which explains why some forum members pull everything they can get and hang on to it for future requirements.

I am guilty of that habit if I can I do try to have spares of certain parts. As well as rare upgrades and options.  Sadly that is true that renix jeeps are drying up and I try if my local yards have one I try to get what I can.

I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.  The way I look at it is the parts are being saved from the shredder.  Then they may be available to other MJ owners if whoever went to the trouble to save them wants to share their treasure trove (obviously, there would have to be some compensation involved).

So, grab whatever you can get and either keep it for your own use or put it on the “for sale” forum.

4 hours ago, Blaine.D said:

The bed is a long bed overall was in good condition except for the holes drilled for the roll bar and one side behind the bumper there was a decent size dent if I recalled correctly.

I am guilty of that habit if I can I do try to have spares of certain parts. As well as rare upgrades and options.  Sadly that is true that renix jeeps are drying up and I try if my local yards have one I try to get what I can.

So above the wheel wells you didn't notice any rust? Might have to make a phone call on that one. 

3 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

So above the wheel wells you didn't notice any rust? Might have to make a phone call on that one. 

If I recall correctly no but I would go in person and check for yourself to make sure it was you want.