What rear end do I have??

This is my first post and I'm also a newb when it comes to jeeps in general but I recently picked up a 86 comanche and I'm in the process of restoring it and I really don't know much about this rear end. I know it's original to the jeep and I think it's the amc 20 I will post pics but does anyone know what it looks like? What should I look for? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,  thanks!!

the vast majority of every year MJ had the dana 35.  :L:  the amc 20 was the heavy duty option associated with the metric ton package and there weren't a ton of those in 86 (pun intended).  in 87+ the Metric ton trucks got the dana 44 instead and the 44 could be had as an option separate from the metric ton package (though I'm not certain if that was 87-92 or just the later years).  We lost a lot of detail info when AMC had that basement flood way-back-when. :( 

just an additional point of info for anyone reading this: the "c" in 35c stands for "custom" and indicates when Jeep was buying partial axles and finishing them up themselves.  It does not indicate C-clip, so always verify before purchasing an axle.  :L: 

I read some info about CJ7 for 86 that said CJs got the AMC20 until they ran out of those axles.  Jeep then installed D44s in CJs.  Jeep-CJ forum.

The confusion of what parts Jeep put on the various models just goes to prove: Any Manufactures Components

3 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

the amc 20 is round, easy to tell apart

and back in 1986, wasn´t jeep using any axle they had in hand? as a result some random Xjs/mjs came with amc 20?

Not random. Back then, the AMC 20 was the optional, heavy duty axle. It was supplanted by the Dana 44 in the 1987 model year.

On 5/22/2019 at 4:23 PM, 87MJTIM said:

I read some info about CJ7 for 86 that said CJs got the AMC20 until they ran out of those axles.  Jeep then installed D44s in CJs.  Jeep-CJ forum.

The confusion of what parts Jeep put on the various models just goes to prove: Any Manufactures Components

The last CJ7s built in 1986 had Dana 44 rear axles instead of AMC20, as you stated.  Not shown in this pic, but I also have a factory MJ Dana 44 that will be going in my MJ.

IMG_4195_words.jpg

• 2 months later...