Hawaii lifts

kansashogan

Well, considering a tire/wheel setup on that truck with that much lift is $3-4k, maybe they ran out of money! 

And for the record that model Hummer with the trunk (it would be blasphemous to call it a "bed") is the most useless design ever created.  

I did two tours in Hawaii while in the USMC.  They have some weird laws.  At least on Oahu, if you put aftermarket wheels on your car/truck/Jeep, you have to go down to Honolulu and have the State DOT do an inspection ($$) and be issued a "Reconstruction" sticker.  Same thing if you do a lift, custom bumpers, etc.  My CJ7 failed for tires sticking out past the flares (1/4"), non DOT approved reverse lamp, front license plate not permanently affixed (it had flashlight clamps bolted to it that clamped onto my winch roller fairlead.  The guy tried to pull it off to demonstrate and had to use both hands).

You also have to do a yearly safety inspection.  They tried to fail my 1967 CJ5 for "no rear bumper" (it was completely stock).  I also had them tell me that glass packs were illegal in Hawaii (I bought and had them installed in Kaneohe).  They tried to fail my 67 CJ5 for steering when I took it in the day after I completely replaced everything in the steering system with new parts (there was too much "play"- I said it's a 1940s design, but all new, it doesn't get any better.)  I just went back the next day when a different guy was working.

Funny thing is you would see locals driving huge trucks with 44s and no "Reconstruction" sticker.

I "strongly dislike" all forms of safety/emissions/etc State inspections.  I'm ok with trying to keep our planet clean and the roads safe, but these programs are really about money for the State (TAXES).

wait, are we talking about this particular trend?  this is not an island thing.  it's everywhere. :dunno:  my guess is they are copying what they see at truck shows, where low profile tires are frequently used because they are cheaper and don't block the views of their shiny new suspension parts they are pimping.

plus I'm sure none of the owners want to trim the fenders on their $70k rig to fit a decent tire. :roflmao:

lifted-chevy-trucks-red-elegant-colors.jpg