Project XXMJ

TNT

I did get something done today.

First I swapped in some GE HO headlights, started swapping out the grill with the stainless trim for a black one but found out the header needs to be changed also.

Then I swapped the stainless windshield trim for black trim and pulled the stainless drip rail trim.

Later I also found out the vacuum switch for the axle disconnect is shot and keeps the axle engaged.

Some time was also spent cleaning the shop so bigger jobs can start happening.

I'm off to keep cleaning.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the front flares and air dam are off.

The body side stripes and side emblems are off too.

The fiberglass cap is back on too.

The passenger rear fender is cut to elimate the major rust and for raising the flares 4" higher. The rear part of the fender still needs to to be cut off at the lower bodyline. Then I can make some box side protectors. 8)

I will post up some pics when it's light out. :brows:

The front fenders will be cut for raising the flares about 4.5". The fender will also be cut off at the bottom of the sidemarker so I can swap the bumper on. :chillin:

With about 5.5" of lift it should have 11" of clearance between the tires and the flares. jamminz.gif

Once the fender work is done the weld in rock rails can be built and installed. The box will also been to cut for them also.

:cheers:

Here an update.

The cap is back on for now. :roll:

The stripes are off and so are the emblems.

The header and grill are from my 95 XJ has been installed.

The fenders are cut and I swapped my bumper on.

I cut a bunch on the back but there is still more rust.... The other side is even worse. :cry:

It needs replacement panels and the inner panels sand blasted and treated before it rusts threw to the inside of the box.

Fenders cut with bumper installed

Image Not Found

Flares clamped on to show how they will look

Image Not Found

Bumper (front view)

Image Not Found

Now I can measure for the 2"x6" weld in rock rails that will replace the rockers and extend to the rear wheel opening.

The rear of the box will be cut off at the bodyline and a bumper will be built to wrap around to protect it.

The flares also still need to be mounted.

I still might just truggy it. jamminz.gif The rusty box sucks.... :headpop:

damn... those flares look good on there man.

Thanks.

I don't understand why more people don't rework the stock flares. They can fit bigger tires then TJ flares if they are tweaked correctly. A heat gun and a sawzall are your friends.

I'm going to use some front flares in the rear. They will be put on backwards. Once the box is cut off at the rear body line, the rear flares will look even better. They will fit the body perfectly to the rock rails and the gap will be filled just like the front gap is filled.

I'm probably going to use some 36" tall Q78 TSL's for trail use and run my 33"x10.5" BFG's for street use.

expensive choice ;)

so from that i guess you're plan is to plastic-"weld" the flares larger? or just work with them?

There is no need to get crazy with the flares I just heat them with a heat gun to reshape the lower part that wraps under the fender.

Here some pictures of the front flares when they were on my '95 XJ. I filled the gap and the reformed flare still extends all the way to the bottom of the fender.

filledgap.jpg

Image Not Found

When I add the rock rails I might move the flares 2" higher so they end at the weld in rock rails and replace them with new ones so the front will still extend down to the bumper.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to the junkyard today and grabbed up a set of the wider '95 front XJ flares.

When the rock rails get welded in I will raise the front flares about 2" past the bodyline. I needed new flares so they will reach down to the bumper in front.

I also looked at some boxes but they want $250.00 to $300 for them and they aren't the straightest/cleanest in the world...

It's time to sell some parts so I can pick-up my HP D60 front axle and a 14 bolt rear axle. They are more important then the box.

At the junkyard I also found a '77 F-150 HP D44 with welded on mounts and a '78 F-250 HP D44 with leaf spring mounts.

later today I will be reforming the flares to fit and cutting more metal off of the front fenders.

I'm also working out the final details for the 3 link/trackbar design for the front.

Here's a box I might build. I have all the steel needed to build it.

If I decide to get rid of my stock box and build one, this is what I have in mind.

Top view. The grey area will be an XJ fuel tank, some storage, and a remote mounted battery. It will also have short rockrails as shown in the pictures that would tie into the frame and rollcage.

Image Not Found

Side view.

Image Not Found

Tell me what you think.

It would also have a rollcage with an exo over the roof with A piller tubes that run into the top of/behind the front fenders, tie into the front suspension and the front bumper.

Got it registered now and passed the emission test too.

They had to do an idle test because they said the tires are too big.... Funny they were able to test my XJ with the same tires...

He was crooked on the rollers and couldn't test it because the limited slip was making it walk back and forth. It was funny to watch. :brows:

I replaced a trashed right front wheel bearing so now my front end noise is gone.

I also replaced the broken anti-rattle hardware.

I was looking at the brakes and found out the two lines to the rear are hooked up to a tee. The brake hose also hooks up to the tee. :eek:

I'll swap my dual diaphram '95 booster, proportioning valve, lines and braided hoses on to fix it for good.

The rear brake hardware needs to be replaced because the adjusters are seized and the cables are broken. :roll:

I also put the radiator from my '95 XJ into my '94 XJ. Now I'm using the '94 XJ as a daily driver again. :D I'll start to part it out after all the '95 XJ's parts are swapped into the MJ.

I started to pull more parts of the '95 so I can yank the engine and trans for the MJ. 8)

I recut my fender and raised my left front flare as high as possibile tonight. I need to cut/form a junkyard flare so it goes down to the bumper and fits tight to the body. A small piece will fill the gap caused by raising the flare. I will also be folding the rest of the seam, cutting and reforming the front inner fender for maximum tire clearance. A inner fender liner is in the works too. The weld in rockrails will fill the bottom 2" below the flare.

Here's a pic with 33" tires and 6" of lift

Image Not Found

The flare is 4" higher then stock. The opening behind the tire is 4" larger at the bottom of the fender and 4" larger in the front at top of the bumper hieght.

Dirty I bet that turned out ruff at first. I considered the inners fender removal but i think a BFH can bend it enough to not cause issues. Mine don't hit right now with about 7.5"s and 35s but i am on short arms till i can raise the funds to build my longarm. Let me know what ends up with the inners cause i think they will be an issue when i get the arms built. Nice looking so far. Also have you considered TJ flares or are you wanting the stock appearance. You prob said earlier but i just read the last post so sorry if you thought of it. Nice job on the move though.

Cole

TJ flares are too short. Once I replace the flare, the front will go down to the bumper. The rear will go down to the weld in rock rails and the gap caused by raising the flare will be filled. These are the wider '95-'96 front XJ flares.

I have as much room as TJ flares but prefer the look of properly raised stock flares.

When the inner fender work is done I should have tons of room for maximum up travel with bigger tires. I beleive in having as much up travel as possible.

I cut out my front inner fenders and re-formed them.

Image Not Found

Things went downhill in a hurry after that.

So what went down hill after that?

I plan on doing mine without removing them.

Here's an update.

The flare is raised 6" over stock.

I formed, reshaped, cut and fit a different flare today. It's just clamped on for right now. I also cut the fender some more.

Here are some pics.

Side view

Image Not Found

Fit at front body line

Image Not Found

Fit at rear bodyline and filled gap

Image Not Found

Tire coverage with 33x10.50-15 on 15x7 rims with 4" of backspacing

Image Not Found

Another view showing the 11" of clearance over the 33" tire with 6" of lift

Image Not Found

I still need to rework the front part of the inner fender, remove the rust, paint the fender, mount the flare and make a inner fender liner

I don't understand why more people don't rework the stock flares. They can fit bigger tires then TJ flares if they are tweaked correctly. A heat gun and a sawzall are your friends.

I don't know about the other guys, but if I had half a clue how to do what you did, I would.

I don't know how to add pieces to make it seamless.

I don't really know how to work a heat gun to get the stock stuff to bend without deforming.

Got a thread somewhere that shows it?

Looks awesome, man.

I cut out my front inner fenders and re-formed them.

Image Not Found

Things went downhill in a hurry after that.

So what went down hill after that?

I plan on doing mine without removing them.

HE no longer has that at all. He dove nosed his rig. That is what i think he is referring to. Check his build thread out on this page and youll see what he is talking about. He only has a stock style hood and most the rest is gone.

Cole

lookin good tim!

hey, I'd like to come pick some things up this weekend...

Thanks

This weekend works for me anytime after 4pm on Saturday or anytime Sunday. BTW I got some of the parts off but after breaking 4 T-50 torx bits on a seat belt I had to call it a day....

I don't know about the other guys, but if I had half a clue how to do what you did, I would.

I don't know how to add pieces to make it seamless.

I don't really know how to work a heat gun to get the stock stuff to bend without deforming.

Got a thread somewhere that shows it?

Looks awesome, man.

I plan on doing a complete write-up that will show how to raise them and form them above the bodyline like this and one that shows how to do it the way I had them raised to the bodyline before this.

The piece I fill the gap with is cut out of a stock flare I had laying around.

It's not that hard to do, just time consuming.