Project XXMJ

TNT

I just purchased JeepcoMJ's '89 MJ Pioneer, 4.0. Pukegoat 5 speed, 3.07 gears, rear D44 and 6"-10" of lift. I bought it without his 33" tires and the stereo.

Here's a link to his build thread.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4665

I have a '94 and a '95 XJ that will be doners for this project. They both are 4.0 HO's with auto trannys and the '94 will supply the 242 transfer case. The '95 will supply the engine and transmission.

When JeepcoMJ bought it.

Image Not Found

After JeepcoMJ lifted it.

Image Not Found

Just before I bought it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I on put my 33x10.50-15 BFG AT's with black 15x7's with 4" of backspacing yesterday.

Today I swapped it back to spring under and added some 6" long T&T Customs boomerang shackles. I also drilled a new hole in the shackle mount 1.25" forward to get the correct shackle angle.

So now it has 6.5" of lift in the front and 5.5" of lift in the rear. When I put my front bumper on it it should level out nicely. I still need to remove the transfercase drop.

I took it out for a ride and it died twice. It lost all electrical power for about 5 seconds and then it came right back on. I'll need to figure that one out real soon. Any ideas?

I also found out it pops out of reverse, it did it 3 times backing up my driveway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the purchase and new project. :cheers:

I can't give you any ideas on the wiring issue but the pukegoat popping out of reverse tells me that someone had forced it into reverse and took some material off the reverse gear set. You can do an R&R (fairly easy task) on it and hopefully only need to replace the reverse set but if you can deal with holding it in reverse and babying backing up it until your engine swap, id suggest that.

hmm, the electrical thing seems like a battery issue to me...

that battery is junk that's in there...

no idea bout the reverse thing, never done it to me

I'm going to swap my Optima red top in tonight and look into the wiring. It seems more like wiring to me, once its started I should be able to remove the battery and it would keep running on the alternator. It's like some shut the key off, everything goes dead(even the lights).

The trans isn't a big deal it should last until it's swaped out. For now I'll just I hold the shifter, it works fine. Maybe once I remove the transfercase drop it will work better.

I'll get some pics of how it looks now if it would stop raining out...

Another issue is to find the drone/howling noise that coming from the right front side. I figured it was the tiny tires I drove it home on since it was pulling hard to the right also. I'll swap in a different wheel bearing I have because that's what it seems like to me. No big deal since the front axle is getting replaced anyway.

Here are some pictures of the front bumper thats going on it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The front flares will be raised like they are on my XJ in the picture above.

The gap that is left I fill for a nice finshed off look.

filledgap.jpg

lfview_sm.jpg

The rear flares will be raised also to eliminate the rust.

I'm replacing the rocker panels with some 2"x6" to fix that rust.

Right now I'm not sure if I'm going to extend it all the way to the rear wheel opening and brace it off on the frame. Otherwise I will cut the lower box off up to the bodyline.

The rear box lower quarter will be cut off at the bodyline and I will build a bumper that wraps around to protect it. I'm also adding some box side body panel protection, some more along the bottom of the door and on the cab corner. The box side protection will wrap around the rear incorporating some different taillights and reverse lamps.

Some of the other plans are to plate the frame, cleanup the rust on the underside and give it a good coating of rustproofing. The gas tank will be replaced by an XJ tank mounted in the bed inside a custom built box that will also carry some spare parts, tools, hi-lift jack, hold the battery and an air tank/compressor set-up. The matching spare tire will be mounted over the box and hinged to swing out of the way.

I will be installing a rollbar and probably mounting a shock hoop and running some long travel shocks straight up and down to the top of the rear axle which will be trussed. The rollbar will become a rollcage and have an external roof halo that will tie into the rock rails behind the fenders and then extend to the front bumper. It will also tie into the front suspension mounting points across the engine bay and have a windshield crossbar and support.

All the factory decals and emblems will be removed, as will all the chrome trim. Only the front and rear Jeep emblems will remain on it.

I will be adding power window and locks from my '95 which is the wiring harness I will be using. I might use the overhead console too. Keyless entry will be nice.

I swapped the battery out and went to get some gas. It died once on the way there and when I tried to start it it cranked for 2 seconds and lost all power. Tried it again and it fired up fine. It's probably the ignition switch.

Reverse worked fine on level ground, but it popped out once when backing up my driveway, which is kind of steep.

we will have to go somewhere wheelin when you get it all done. :D

Sounds good. Maybe somewhere like Apple Valley , McCaslin, or the Badlands. A trip to Minnesota to check out some of the trails they have there would be a good time too.

Sounds like you got lots of plans Tim! :cheers:

Hurry up and get it done so you can come with us the end of Oct. to the Badlands for the GLXJ Fall Crawl! :brows:

Plans... I have more then I have already posted. Too bad the GLXJ Fall Crawl is on the weekend my wifes birthday is on, I already have plans with her.

Here's a picture of its stance now. Looks kind of like a prerunner.

Image Not Found

Old shackle

Image Not Found

New T&T Customs 6" boomerang shackle

Image Not Found

Relocated upper mounting hole for proper shackle angle

Image Not Found

The next task to get rid of the transfercase drop.

Transfercase drop is removed and the factory transfercase skid is back on.

I removed the caster shims because caster is to high and the pinion angle is way low. The upper arms could be longer, I'll build some adjustable ones. The LCA's will get one end replaced with a RE flex joints.

The die out problem was a bad connection, so thats fixed. :D

After removing the transfercase drop the transmission no longer pops out of reverse. 8)

I started planning the rockrails that will replace the rocker panels.

I went and flexed out the rear suspension. I use all of the shock travel I have. I do need to lower the mounts and get longer shocks.

I also found out the rear tires are very close to rubbing when flexed.

I guess the 15"x7" rims with 4" of backspacing need to be replaced. Some 15"x8" rims with 3.5" of backspacing or 15" x7" rims with 3" of backspacing should do the trick

Thats about it for today so far.

Nice to see it went to another member here. Its a nice base for a great truck, keep us posted. :cheers:

Thanks, I'm glad to be here. :cheers:

I like the fact of the on going project forum.

I was checking the box out closer. If I raise the rear flare to the bodyline I might get a year or so out before the box sides are junk. To bad no one makes replacement ones.

I think I'm going to truggy it. jamminz.gif

correction.. I now make replacement bed sides...4' is the longest i can do.. but I could splice them together for you for a longer section..

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 010ff3.jpg

I just did these today

Those look pretty good. What gauge steel are they?

I do have a 3" sheetmetal brake so I could bend some like that too. I wish they made actual replacement panels. I would want to sand blast the underside and inside panels before replacing the panels. I the need inner wheelwells replaced too.

I have enough sheetmetal, square and rectangular steel to truggy it.

The tools and equipment to do either job I have. Decisions, decisions....

TNT, if you decide to truggy it I know a local who would probably be interested in the bed...

Get me some details. It will probably help me decide. :brows:

it's stewartmj here on the club...go ahead and pm him.

I sold him my 88 4.0 and he wants a new bed

I don't know, I hate to see them get cut up. Keep it a truck. Cut up an XJ, tons of those around. But its your truck, good luck in what you choose either way. :cheers:

I'm going to keep like a truck for a while. I need to swap drivelines with my XJ's first. I'll just bend up some 16 gauge skins to protect the bed and hide the rust. I'm also going over to pick up the cap tonight.

Maybe next summer or winter I'll truggy it. My wife is already pissed that I have three Jeeps so I need to swap parts and part the XJ's out ASAP.