Project XXMJ

TNT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reworked the inner fender for as much clearance ar possible. It has 6.5" of lift with some wornout 31's on it right now. It will have 35" tires when it is finished.

Here is a picture of the inner fender after raising the flares with 33" tires.

Image Not Found

I cut the front of the inner fender for a dramatic increase in room.

My goal is to get as much uptravel as possible as part of my build.

I still need to do some more welding, then clean up and paint it.

Here is a picture looking straight down from under the hood.

Image Not Found

Here is a picture the inner fender. I gained 4" or more of clearance.

The difference is dramatic.

Image Not Found

There is now more room in front the tire then from the rear or above. I should be able to stuff the tire about 3" more and still be able to turn from lock to lock. As part of the build the front axle will be moved forward 1".

dude thats awesome! nice work on gaining clearance without lift!

Thanks. I can make 33's fit 4dr XJ's without a lift. :brows:

Here's a couple more pictures.

I also started welding some of the factory seams

Top view.

Image Not Found

Front view.

Image Not Found

Better inside view

Image Not Found

that is superb work! I need to do that so I can tuck my 35's :D do you have pictures on how to cut and what not?

Thanks for the complement. I try to work outside of the box sometimes. :D

The first side is like practice... :brows:

I'll take pictures and do a write up about it. When I do the other side I will show all the cuts and bending. :chillin:

I did get a nice sun tan as a side benefit. 8)

Comparison between stock inner fender and my cut inner fender.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found[/img]

It's a huge difference.

Here are a bunch of picture of flares raise to the body line and above the body line.

There are no gaps they are complete filled and looks good.

Here are some pictures of the both style flares showing how it is filled.

Raised to the bodyline

Mounted

Image Not Found

How the gap was filled

Image Not Found

Side views

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Raised above the bodyline

Mounted

Image Not Found

How the gap was raised

Image Not Found

Side views

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Comparison

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

These should help people understand how I cut and modified stock front flares for tons of clearance..

• 9 months later...

Pat just dropped off the cab section today. Last weekend he took my cap and put it in storage. I sold him my 4.0HO and AW-4 with 3k miles on it that I was going to use. He got everything from the entire '95 XJ from the complete wiring, overhead console PW's, PL's, steering column, dash, cluster and a whole bunch more.

:cheers:

I took it out for a ride and it died twice. It lost all electrical power for about 5 seconds and then it came right back on. I'll need to figure that one out real soon. Any ideas?

ground strap. mine did the same thing. radio would flicker and engine would cut out when i hit bumps or something and finally it quite. so i put a new one on and it works fine now

I took it out for a ride and it died twice. It lost all electrical power for about 5 seconds and then it came right back on. I'll need to figure that one out real soon. Any ideas?

ground strap. mine did the same thing. radio would flicker and engine would cut out when i hit bumps or something and finally it quite. so i put a new one on and it works fine now

It was a bad battery. Everything will have new grounds and as many factory body seams as possible will be fully welded.

I thinking the double MJ cab would be the way to go. With the 2 door XJ doors and a doubled up rear cab section Ill gain about 16". 6" will bee for leg room and the rest for subs, amps and storage.

It will have enough room for some 12" subs in sealed box firing directly at the seat back will be great. I have a 500 watt RMS amp to power them.

I'll use some 6.5" speakers in a XJ sound bar I have for rear fill powered by the stereo.

Up front a pair of 6.5" mid bass speakers and a set of 6.5" componant speakers will be used.

I'll build some custom enclosues for them and power them with a 250 watt RMS amp.

The stero is a Sony with 3 pairs of rca outs. I'll use capactiors for all the speakers that the stereo powers.

Up front the stereo will power a pair of speaker that fit the dash mounts and a extra set of tweeters I have here.

It wll have power windows and locks so I don't have to chance hurting my back by reaching across.

I'm going to do a V-8 swap, hopefully the guy still has the 400hp 340 Mopar engine. It used to be a mud racer and was in a red MJ so it should feel at home. It needs a new solid lifter cam and I will rebuild it at the same time. I'm sticking with a solid lifter cam. I love a engine that can rev.

I'll use a built TF727 with a Art Carr reverse valve body and about a 2700 RPM torque converter. A drivers side drop Jeep NP208 transfer case will also be used.

The front HP D44 and the rear 9" axles will have 5.13 gearing. The 9" will be spooled and the front I haven't decided which one I want to use yet.

I have the header panel cut off below the headlight and finshed welding in the front of the wheelwell.

I stripped off the rust and have it ready for primer.

All thet is left is finishing the rear of the wheelwell, The A-piller is cut and the front of the rocker is completely cut off.

I should be able to fill the last spots on the wheelwell by the rocker, blend it and prime it tomorrow.

I'll post up some pictures when it's done.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update.

I have been collecting parts for the stereo.

I now have a Pioneer 6.5 coax speakers for the rear XJ sound bar for rear fill.

For the front I have Polk DB6501 6.5" coax speakers, 2 sets of Blaupunkt PCCB660 6.75" component speakers and a set of a Vifa tweeters I might use.

• 2 months later...