Craigs1990 SWB restore/mod

Go look at son-of-stink!!  What a beautiful rig!!

I gotta say, I need to stop looking at the builds from CA, TX & the like!  I drove to North Carolina after doors & a box.... the rig in the junk yard was nicer than the one I was restoring!  Holy Crap, those guys live in a Candy Land!!! No pits, no broken bolts, no holy sheetmetal!

Then on top of the pristine nature (as viewed by someone living in Michigan) of the projects at the kick off,   add their effort, their skills and talents!

What a beautiful build!

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little more progress on her this last week.  Got my wife's Jeep out of the way..... on a side note, any of you have a 2006ish Grand Cherokee & are thinking about the 2" lift kit .... PM me & I will tell you why you shouldn't do it!!

Back to the Comanche.... Got the Bed & tailgate back from the sandblaster... The bed looks good  no issues hiding under the paint.  The tailgate looks VERY good for a Michigan tailgate.  The pinch weld only needs a couple hours work.... so I'm pretty happy with it.  I seam sealed then sprayed sealer on all exposed surfaces... on the bottom I went right to the Imron.  The visible surfaces I will prime & smooth or do bodywork as needed.....

I gotta say... I thought the bed would be easier than the cab.... but given I have to hang it in 3 different positions to get the paint coverage I need I was clearly wrong!

Also.... This box sucked up more paint material than the cab, doors, fenders & hood so far!  An entire gallon of sealer, 2 qts of primer & a whole quart of Imron  so far!!

I'll get paint & rustproofing on the bed floors and walls as well as the bottom b4 I start the base clear on the bed sides.

20200711_170036.jpg

20200711_170041.jpg

20200711_170101.jpg

20200711_170128.jpg

20200711_170146.jpg

20200715_101000.jpg

20200715_101024.jpg

20200715_101114.jpg

20200715_101121.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, finally getting back at it ... a couple guide coats on the bed sides.... I could have spent forever trying to straighten out this thing.  WAY beyond my skill level! And the decals!!... HOLY CRAP, next time I'll pay somebody to stick them LOL!!!  Money well spent!  But hey, its all red now :D  Next step is to pull all the trim, bumpers, flares & paint satin black.  

19 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

A CJ style fuel fill bezel? Or just the sticker?

I'm looking for the plastic bezel that has it molded right in the part and painted.... like they did back in the day. I have a bunch of used ones, but they are warped and discolored.

• 2 weeks later...