guess who just scored a dakota bellhousing?

Pete M

<----   this guy!  :D    

no plans for it yet (don't have a 2.5 truck), but I'm sure some day it'll come in handy.  :comanche: 

funniest part of my day was dragging 40 lbs of tools out to the truck only to find that I didn't have any tool to take on the 8mm bolts of the rear ujoint to start the process. :doh:  fortunately a kind soul lent me one so I didn't have to hoof it (and the aforementioned 40 lbs of tools) alllllll the way back to the parking lot to grab it.

I also grabbed the ax-15 shifter just in case it's useful.  I left the 2wd AX-15 though.  I can afford a few bucks for a rare bellhousing, but I can't plop down 100+ for a trans I don't need.

14 minutes ago, RustyRodder said:

It allows for the 2.5's to use a AX15 instead of an AX5

yup, it has the 2.5L Jeep pattern in the front and the AX-15 pattern in the back  :banana:  'cause sometimes you get tired of grenading AX-5s. (right, Pat?)

Nice score Pete:banana:

There was a 2.5 Dakota down here in one of the yards a few years ago, first one I've ever actually seen live.  I should have spent the time to drop the trans and grab the BH, but I was too pressed for time and didn't have all my tools with me.  I've not seen another one since.

There is one in the JY by me too, 100% unmolested. I was really scratching my head when I peaked under the hood and saw the jeep 2.5

How valuable are they?

I don't know how much they want for it, its the type of JY where the guy behind the counter makes up numbers as he goes along and whether he likes you or not.

I'm out of town at the moment, but if someone really wants it I may be persuaded to go and pull it once I'm back.

Yeah good score! I have not seen a single 1 yet Pete. I look at every 1 I come across. I am curious to know actual production numbers as well as your diesel liberty since I am yet to spot either. They both seem to be unobtanium In Indiana and some areas in the surround.

17 hours ago, Pete M said:

...  'cause sometimes you get tired of grenading AX-5s. (right, Pat?)

Throw backs are for Thursday. :laugh: For the record, I know the truck still exists... not sure if Pat has been around for a while again. Rob just saw him. For that matter... Rob hasn’t been around either. 

Makes me feel old. :(

You have piqued my curiosity with this AX-15 / bellhousing talk and I am still learning about what all can be "easily" swapped without major modifications.

So my Question(s):

--Would my 2.5L 86 MJ benefit from this Dakota bellhousing and Ax-15 swap, assuming it has the T5 trans in it now with either the NP207 or NP228 transfer case? I have not had time to tear into every part of this truck yet, so I can't confirm if the trans or anything else has been swapped out of it. I suspect it hasn't been tho, since everything else appears to be totally stock on this former work truck. 

--Also, If the Ax-15 went into it w/the Dakota bellhousing would another TC (231 or 242) have to be mated to it and does that change the length of all the drive shafts needed, therefore needing to change them too?  Or can the  207/228 TC be used with the Ax-15?    

I should have prefaced this with my intention for the truck which is to just get it to good running condition, maybe a 3-4" lift later on, but keep it mostly stock. No intention to do any crawling or hard 4 wheeling with it. 

do you have the T-5?  can you snap some pictures?  it was a rare transmission used when they ran low on the AX-5 on the assembly line (at least that's the rumor).

oh, and the AX-5/T-5 are all 21 spline output and the AX-15 is a 23 spline output so a t-case swap will be needed. :L: 

I figured it was a stock T5 from some spec sheets I was looking at from this site that said the 86 came with a T5. I will try to crawl under it later tonight when I get home and post some pics before I get deep in the assumptions.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, 87Chief said:

Would that shifter work in a ax15 4wd? If so, want to sell it? :) If not, I understand ;)

I know it'll bolt-in, but I grabbed it because I have a TJ shifter in my 88 and was hoping maybe this would bend back further and keep the shifter out of the dash.  dunno yet.  it's a project for a future day. :D    I will keep everyone posted when I get to it.  

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

do you have the T-5?  can you snap some pictures?  it was a rare transmission used when they ran low on the AX-5 on the assembly line (at least that's the rumor).

oh, and the AX-5/T-5 are all 21 spline output and the AX-15 is a 23 spline output so a t-case swap will be needed. :L: 

Here are a few pics of the tranny. The best I could with the truck on the ground and no room to move underneath. Not sure if you can tell what it is.

I was able to clean off the tag on the TC to confirm it to be a NP207.

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2098_(2).JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2092 (1).JPG

IMG_2094.JPG