Persistent Squirrel Problem.......

I went to start the Comanche the other day, no go. I popped the hood and a squirrel had made a nest on top of the battery using the insulation on the underside of the hood.  It also filled every nook and cranny inside the engine compartment with hundreds of acorns!!! I've removed the nest and spent the next hour with the shop-vac getting the poop and acorns out.  Luckily, it only chewed thru one little wire, which I found and repaired.  Comanche is back running, but the squirrel keeps coming back daily and/or nightly and leaving more "gifts" and chewing off more insulation.  Anybody have any good ideas on how to keep the squirrel out of my truck (aside from shooting or poisoning the bastard)?  Mothballs perhaps? Anybody else ever have this problem?

3 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Trap and relocate? 

Not a bad idea, I may try that.  Unfortunately, I live in the mountains, there are at least half a dozen squirrels on my property, and with my luck I'd catch a skunk....... I've got those, too.

it's 30 freaking bucks, but the Ssscat brand of automatic air sprayer does wonders for keeping our cat away from the bedrooms at night (she likes to come down the hallway and howl in the middle of the night).  it has a motion detector and sprays out a puff that my cat hates:D 

434_3_.jpg

Damn squirrels... I had one that liked to hide under my MJ. I never found anything he stashed, but he chewed the $#!& out of my taillight harness. One day I saw him run over and jump up onto my tire and into my engine bay as I was about to leave. I fired up the truck, and backed it out of the driveway. There was one very stunned looking squirrel laying on the ground, twitching. I got back an hour later, and he was gone. Never saw him again. 

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Wrangler come into the dealership last week with a huge squirrel nest on top of the battery, there were three babies in there too. As my buddy was cleaning it out, he found that the squirrel had chewed two large holes through the top of the battery for some reason. Luckily they didnt get any wires, but Id never seen one do that to a battery before. I mean you could see the internal plates and the acid through the holes, almost the size of a golf ball. I'm not sure how long the customer had let it sit, but its the worst one Id ever seen.

Squirrels are persistent.  Once they know where they want to go they will not give up.  A few years back I had trouble with squirrels in my attic.  I called the city and asked what was the best way to kill them.  In half shock the woman said the city is an animal sanctuary and it is against the law to kill them.  I told that story to a Catholic priest and without missing a beat, he said "poison peanuts that will kill them".  Fyi, rabbits are known for chewing car wires also.  If woodpeckers are banging a hole in your house, they will not quit either.

I had them getting in my attic for a while too. Called our local exterminator who said he would live trap them and release them elsewhere. Over the course of two weeks, he caught 2 squirrels. Both died in the trap before he could pick them up.... same day. If my wife knew that happened she would have been pissed! We paid them for what they did, and I went to tractor supply and bought a set of two live traps, and a bag of critter feed mix. Over the next month, I caught 16 squirrels, and two Opossums before the wife told me to quit. I relocated all of them fully alive and healthy to an oak grove several miles away near my work. I don't know what the exterminator guy was trapping them with, but whatever it was, it was killing them and he was lying to us about relocation. I'm not one for killing or abusing animals, though they are quite tasty when hunted or killed in an appropriate manner. Ive never been interested in hunting myself, but I enjoy when friends who do share the spoils. Wild herd population control and farming are necessary for our way of life, and I'm glad there are people out there than can do it for all of our benefit.

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

Couple of questions:   dasbulliwagen seems German; what  does it mean?  I see you have 352,000 miles on an '87 MJ; is that 2.5 original?

I used to be heavy into air cooled VW's. And I had a 1959 Microbus at the time I got into anything internet, so I made up that name. 

I'm second owner of my truck. The original owner replaced the engine and trans at about 140,000 because it was leaking oil. I bought it with 336,000 on it and I assume its the same Jasper engine that he had put in it. Its just about the only thing on my whole truck that I havent done anything with, removed, updated or changed.