crimpless butt connectors (low temp solder w/ shrink wrap)

every so often a product comes around that changes your life.  I think this is one of them for me.  holy crap. :eek: 

I've ordered some off ebay and will be trying them out with my upcoming lights install on the Liberty.

they really work well if you have the room to get to the solder joint.  Used them for years on aircraft avionics.  Raychem may have them cheaper and they use a heat gun with a J shaped outlet spout that heat 2 sides at once.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:54 PM, GreasemonkeySC said:

Yep, I've been using them for a long time. They were full retard expensive in the 90s. I imagine they have improved since then. The low temp solder use to corrode easily.

Did they fix the corrosion problem?

I am literally rebuilding a harness I fixed with those years ago because they're all breaking up. The ones on heavier wires with more current draw seem to have survived better than the little guys but maybe that's because there's just more material that has to break down? Reflow does nothing useful unfortunately.

I love the idea as they made it so much easier, and realistically I got over 15years out of the old ones so I guess i can't b*@ch too much, but I had to rip the dash harness completely out to fix it and extend single conductors that just rotted away inside these connectors... replaced it all with proper heatshrink and solder that still had some lead in it because I ain't doin' it again.

• 2 weeks later...
every so often a product comes around that changes your life.  I think this is one of them for me.  holy crap. :eek: 

I've ordered some off ebay and will be trying them out with my upcoming lights install on the Liberty.

Good stuff, if y'all hadn't seen them in action Scanner Danner on YouTube made video a while back. Check it out...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...