Front Dana 44 questions

So looking for a front dana 44 for my comanche now. Got some questions and wanting some advice. First of all, but rigs will have a dana 44 with my bolt pattern and driver drop and same width? I know theyre rare but just trying to do my homework. 

Now, I got a buddy selling fully built mathcing dana 44s with RCVs, lockers, 4.56s, and trussed and set up for a 3 link for 3,000$. Do yall think I should just go with that? I just don't need a rear 44 because I have a ford 8.8 already and I also don't want to just go and drop 3,000$ right now. Thanks yall!

Why do you need a D44 front?  Are you running very large tires or wheeling your rig extremely hard?

As far as I know, the only driver side drop D44s that are the right width are found on 1982-1991 Wagoneers and 2003-2006 Wrangler TJ Rubicons.

The swap doesn't gain you much over the stock D30, which is plenty stout.  Unless you need a D44 up front, or have more money than most, skip it.

15 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

As far as I know, the only driver side drop D44s that are the right width are found on 1982-1991 Wagoneers and 2003-2006 Wrangler TJ Rubicons.

The swap doesn't gain you much over the stock D30, which is plenty stout.  Unless you need a D44 up front, or have more money than most, skip it.

And the 82-91 Wagoneers don't use the same wheel bolt pattern as the XJ/MJ.

$3000 for those axles probably isn't bad with everything done, just be sure that D44s are going to be enough axle for your build, you could spend that same  $3k and be sitting on 1 tons.

Also, personally i would much rather have a built D44 rear over your current 8.8", strength is similar between the D44 and 8.8 but a D44 has much better ground clearance, an 8.8 has roughly the same clearance measurements as a D60.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 5:25 AM, kryptronic said:

Why do you need a D44 front?  Are you running very large tires or wheeling your rig extremely hard?

I want to run 37s and yeah I know all that but still want a 44

On 1/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, mnkyboy said:

$3000 for those axles probably isn't bad with everything done, just be sure that D44s are going to be enough axle for your build, you could spend that same  $3k and be sitting on 1 tons.

Also, personally i would much rather have a built D44 rear over your current 8.8", strength is similar between the D44 and 8.8 but a D44 has much better ground clearance, an 8.8 has roughly the same clearance measurements as a D60.

Yeah I thought about 1 tons but Id need new wheels and I think itd be cheaper for me to just do a 44. Probably going to wait till the swap meet here in WA in Puyallup on march 10 and find a dana 44

If you truly are deed set on a waggy 44 front, I have a j-20 here off an 84 same thing. It's yours for scrap prices. I want it out but it's too nice to scrap. I'd rather just break 30s and pull another if it happens but I'm planning on nothing ever bigger than 35. I personally don't get tossing in these heavy axles and keeping the 4.0. The mj or xj rear 44 trussed is much lighter and plenty stout especially with upgraded axle shafts. I also plan on never going more than 6.5" of lift max but each is own there is no wrong or right just your truck build it for you.