I needed a laugh... :)

Pete M

A friend of mine was working in Atlanta when there was a snow “storm”. He was amazed by how empty the streets were because the accumulation was what we would consider a dusting. He also commented on how terrible the majority of the drivers were that were out in it.

I drove from Buffalo to Pittsburg about five years back in early Feb in a snowstorm. Everyone on the interstate was doing 30mph in the right lane. Road was fine, just some in the air. Wasn’t even a huge impact on visibility. I was doing 50 in the left lane confused why everyone was going so slow. Would’ve been going faster if I wasn’t already blowing past everyone as it was. Something something winter tires.

But you see the same crap up here every time it snows. Edmonton had almost 400 reported collisions on the first snow day this season. Takes a bit for everyone to figure out what’s up. Lot of people don’t have winter tires on yet, etc. I can’t imagine what it would be like for people who haven’t had much experience with low traction  where no one has winter tires.

no one has all-season tires down in Atlanta (a lot don't even have tread).  and there's no salt or plow trucks at all.  so, because it'll all be gone soon (usually by the next day), everything just shuts down until it warms up again. 

Years ago l drove a 1978 F150 2wd Long bed until late February when l threw new all seasons on it. There was cord showing on both rears. It went through several good sized snow storms and l remember passing a square body blazer going up a hill while it was throwing snow from both ends up in the air.

Momentum is your friend. 

My tires don’t get even close to being that worn before I change them now.

now picture that same truck being driven by someone that's seen snow twice in their entire life.  now picture a million more of those people all trying to drive to work.  lots of people die.  every time. :( 

Boggles the mind a little bit. Up here the only people running strictly summer tires are driving sports cars. Most of us are running all-seasons in the summer. Probably half the people who don’t switch out tires are just running winters year round. My “summer” tires that I do switch out are all still 3pms all-weathers. By lettre of the law they’re still winter tires. Different climate, different world.

But it goes both ways, we have severe issues with intense heat levels that are just normal down south. The only time I’ve overheated a vehicle that wasn’t mostly due to an absense of coolant was in Death Valley, where my coolant mixture was too rich for the temperature. And I don’t think it was much more than 100°F then. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...