Anything worth pulling off a Renix XJ?

DIRT_NASTYY_

I have a 1990 Jeep XJ that is going to be scrapped beginning of next year, and I'm trying to decide on what I can pull off it to use on my 92 MJ, current ideas:

Steering Column, the one in my XJ has tilt steering, and I was thinking of converting to the floor shifter while the trans is out as well.

Cruise Control? Not sure if the renix era is different, it's all there so is it plug and play with a 92? 

The top dash is a lot cleaner (one in the MJ has a big hole on the top)

Keep in mind that what you can't use, someone else might be able to use. I would look at things like instrument cluster, fuel pump and sender, cross member, fuse panel (the one under the dashboard), vacuum reservoir (the "football" behind the front bumper), wiper motor, heater blower ... things like that.

29 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Keep in mind that what you can't use, someone else might be able to use. I would look at things like instrument cluster, fuel pump and sender, cross member, fuse panel (the one under the dashboard), vacuum reservoir (the "football" behind the front bumper), wiper motor, heater blower ... things like that.

Good idea! Once I begin to tear it down I'll be posting the left over stuff if anyone is near in SoCal! 

12 minutes ago, 500 MJ said:

Is a bare bones XJ or what package/options does it have? 

It's the Laredo, power everything and I believe it might have had the tow package. 

Forgot to include that! I thought about using the doors but I would prefer manual locks / windows this time around. 

I'm fer sure using the front axle and T case for a 4WD conversion, but going through interior looking at stuff currently. 

A tow package may have a D44 rear end!

As others have mentioned: instrument cluster, entire cruise system - including the short speedo cable that comes from the instr. cluster to the rev-counter sensor, and more than I can think of now.

Oh yeah - the ECU

6 hours ago, DIRT_NASTYY_ said:

It's the Laredo, power everything and I believe it might have had the tow package. 

Forgot to include that! I thought about using the doors but I would prefer manual locks / windows this time around. 

After driving with manual windows and manual locks for thirty years, I'm planning to convert my best MJ to power locks and windows. You may not want those doors (or the goodies inside them), but someone may.

13 minutes ago, Eagle said:

After driving with manual windows and manual locks for thirty years, I'm planning to convert my best MJ to power locks and windows. You may not want those doors (or the goodies inside them), but someone may.

Why not you? I did mine by scratch, piece by piece and homemade wiring harness. If I could have found a deal like this i would have been all over it.

11 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

As others have mentioned: instrument cluster, entire cruise system - including the short speedo cable that comes from the instr. cluster to the rev-counter sensor, and more than I can think of now.

Oh yeah - the ECU

And TCU!

Squarish dome lamp lenses (not for your MJ but NLA), bolts and clips for fan shrouds., instrument cluster surround if it's a Laredo, Sentinel headlamp relay, all fuses and relays, throttle body (meanlemons needs them), seat belts?, visors, front fender liners, ...

I could go on and on. I part Jeeps out..................

On 11/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, 87MJTIM said:

Oh yeah - the ECU

I checked the rear awhile back and it's a Dana 35, which is weird because it has all the other options that would come with a tow package. 

Will the gauge cluster work in a 92? I thought the speedo was driven by something else, otherwise I prefer that cluster over the one with a giant gas gauge in my MJ.

I'm also trying to see if the CC will work because this truck will see a lot of highway driving. 

12 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

And TCU!

Squarish dome lamp lenses (not for your MJ but NLA), bolts and clips for fan shrouds., instrument cluster surround if it's a Laredo, Sentinel headlamp relay, all fuses and relays, throttle body (meanlemons needs them), seat belts?, visors, front fender liners, ...

I could go on and on. I part Jeeps out..................

Sounds good, I'm currently looking at things to swap into my MJ, I have a few friends with XJs that are going to pick the rest apart then scrap what's left.

I want to post whats left on here, just depends on how long I can keep it on the property all pulled apart. 

The cluster from a Renix (87-90) will not work with an HO (91+).  One is mechanical (Renix), the other is electronic (HO).  That's why the short cable for the cruise control is a good part to keep.  I do not believe the Renix cruise will work on the HO electronics - apples v. oranges, cats v. dogs, 

35 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

The cluster from a Renix (87-90) will not work with an HO (91+).  One is mechanical (Renix), the other is electronic (HO).  That's why the short cable for the cruise control is a good part to keep.  I do not believe the Renix cruise will work on the HO electronics - apples v. oranges, cats v. dogs, 

I don't know enough about how the clusters are laid out to know if you can swap the electronic speedometer into the older cluster. It might be possible. If not -- you might be able to buy a speedometer cable and convert the vehicle to the mechanical speedo. DISCLAIMER: I don't know if other functions of the ECU on the HO models rely on electronic signals from the speedometer drive.

The only components that will swap from the Renix to the HO cluster are the oil pressure  and temperature gauges, and the voltmeter. Nothing else will even mount, different mounting bosses. 

The cruise control systems are completely different and incompatible.

Underdash courtesy lights- 90 was the changeover year for the plug, they should work in your MJ

Front sway bar- a 90 Laredo may have a 28mm bar that is a direct fit on your MJ

A Laredo probably has factory fog light wiring you could swap into your MJ

Dash clock

ashtray light

chrome trim plates under the hockey stick style door handles