Radios & Dash Controls

3 hours ago, Manche757 said:

I had a 95 Grand Cherokee that came with a cassette player.  Didn't think cd players came until later 

First car CD player came to market in '84. CDs came on the market in '82. The compact cassette, which most people think of as a '70s and '80s thing, came out in the early 60s!

I installed this new-to-me '92ish radio in my '06 Liberty. :beerbang:  that's right, a 26 year old radio in a 12 year old Jeep. :D   Minuit installed the AUX (and replaced the bulbs so I can see the time) and I added in a Bluetooth dongle (the cable you see is for charging the phone).  the sound is very good if you use an equalizer on the phone rather than the sliders.  :L:    I have no desire to get a more modern unit. :D   the only thing lacking is an output for a subwoofer, but Jeremy is working on that.

26219942_2072444466104294_5520199083543276195_n.jpg

If you are referring to the rectangular block-offs on each side of the dash panel (in-board from the cigarette lighter and headlight switch), they are for various switches for options that I don't have either. Perhaps cargo light, fog lights, power switch (auto transmission), other things? 

20181005_180033.jpg

2 hours ago, SVPete said:

If you are referring to the rectangular block-offs on each side of the dash panel (in-board from the cigarette lighter and headlight switch), they are for various switches for options that I don't have either. Perhaps cargo light, fog lights, power switch (auto transmission), other things? 

20181005_180033.jpg

XJ rear wipers and defroster.  Neither ones for an MJ.

Dongle... hehehe

The empty space on the clock was originally for something called the System Sentry. It was available in the very early XJs. It's just empty space on the rest of them. The 1991 clock has some spaces for warning lights that were never used, which is why Don could fit a temp display in there.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

10 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Minuit would you post your link to this thread so dumbasses, like me, can find the way to your radio site?

there's a thread in the vendors section of the classifieds :L: 

Minuit, so nothing was offerred by Jeep on the right side but the clock at the top?   What about the left side. 2nd spot from top is an up arrow for 5 speed to shift up.  4th from top is Emiss Maint. Anyone know about others. Also rectangular ones lower left side

9 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Minuit, so nothing was offerred by Jeep on the right side but the clock at the top?   What about the left side. 2nd spot from top is an up arrow for 5 speed to shift up.  4th from top is Emiss Maint. Anyone know about others. Also rectangular ones lower left side

Varies based on year and equipment. You should be able to see what they should be if you shine a light into the cluster.

between the radio and the cluster went the vehicle warning system thingie.  can't remember what it was called.  Sentry?  it came on very very few XJs and gave notice of low oil in the pinions, trans temp, and other things.

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

between the radio and the cluster went the vehicle warning system thingie.  can't remember what it was called.  Sentry?  it came on very very few XJs and gave notice of low oil in the pinions, trans temp, and other things.

Go back about 12 posts and you will see it.   :L: