Mercedes Ambient Temperature Display in an MJ

Here's a quick writeup for the Benz temp indicator install in the 1991 XJ/MJ clock. The parts I used were an ambient temperature display module from a W124 series Mercedes Benz (from Ebay, part number 124 542 0105), and the module and temp sensor wiring harnesses.

BLbPt9j.jpg

EcJ1kwX.png

Remove the plastic case from the temp module as it sits too deep behind the clock. Four screws and it slides right off. Then remove the top cover lens assembly from the clock. Carefully use a sharp utility to cut the plastic pins that hold the face on. The 1991 clock is the only clock I've seen that has sufficient space to mount things like this. Check GoJeep's site in the clock section for some info I sent him regarding the 1991 clock.

CGOBLAY.jpg

Next break out the Dremel tool and start trimming. I had to cut a hole in the back for the module harness connector, and trim down then trim down the edges of LCD display to fit into the lower slot in the clock. After everything fits and clears okay, mount the LCD display (I used Liquid Steel and clamped it in to set overnight).

uCK8VxW.jpg

ssIeVfE.jpg

Replace the clock face by "welding" it back on. Lightly touching the pin holes with a low wattage soldering iron. Wire everything up and do a smoke test on the workbench.

Smoke Test

6iKIzKI.jpg

Mount the temp sensor under the front bumper, run the harness thru the firewall into the dash clock cavity, and hook everything up. I used the power, dimmer, and ground wires conveniently located on the cigar lighter. Finished!

Px2Dk6V.jpg

Nice writeup Don :cheers:

Probably not on my current mod list, but will bookmark. There's no shortage of Mercedes down here in the junkyards, so if anyone wants the parts, lemme know....I might could get 'em for ya.

Jeff

Probably not on my current mod list, but will bookmark. There's no shortage of Mercedes down here in the junkyards, so if anyone wants the parts, lemme know....I might could get 'em for ya.

Jeff

please? i couldnt find them on ebay and i've never seen a benz in our JY so if its not outta the way then we can work something out

Jeff

please? i couldnt find them on ebay and i've never seen a benz in our JY so if its not outta the way then we can work something out

Here's where I got mine:

Phil Fox (billyboborama@gmail.com)

Phil tests them by powering them up and will send you a pic. Sometimes the LCD display has color bleeding over time. Don't get one w/o seeing the display lit up.

yeah, it's caveat empator on my junkyard (well, they do give a 30 day retun/refund). There's no way to test anything there....you just gotta buy it and install it to see if it works. If yes, good....if not, take it back and either get yer money back or swap it for another one and try again.

Jeff

yeah, it's caveat empator on my junkyard (well, they do give a 30 day retun/refund). There's no way to test anything there....you just gotta buy it and install it to see if it works. If yes, good....if not, take it back and either get yer money back or swap it for another one and try again.

Jeff

If you find the module like above Jeff (which is the only one I know that will work because the others are too deep), you can just stick a fresh 9V battery on pins 1 (-) and 5 (+) and the display will light up.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...