Radios & Dash Controls

89 MJ has original radio. Powers on but can't switch it from AM to FM.  Any suggestions for a radio that fits and fills the slot in the dashboard and sounds decent?  Anyone know what the original radios would sound like if repaired?  I replaced a grand cherokee radio and it received stronger/more distant signals.  Probably the case with old MJ radios.

Either bad tactile switches or bad solder joints on the faceplate, maybe a dicey ribbon cable, but the display would probably act up too if that happened. Not uncommon. If the radio has brown button labels, it's not worth repairing even for the most minor issues. If it has white buttons, depends on what you want to do.

Any suggestions for a radio that fits and fills the slot in the dashboard and sounds decent?

Another factory single DIN Jeep radio from 1988-1996 will slot right in. Within that year range there are a bunch of variations, but all are interchangeable. Some had clocks, some didn't. Don't buy one with brown labels on the buttons.

42 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Anyone know what the original radios would sound like if repaired?

I will obviously have a certain amount of bias here, but you might be pleasantly surprised. Old factory Jeep radios have more in common with aftermarket headunits than you might realize. They do not have enough power to cope with your average undeadened tin can MJ's high speed road noise, but literally no car headunit ever made does. If you look at my vendor page, I have a few recordings of my setup in my truck playing music from the Youtube audio library... for whatever that would tell you (not much). Ignore all of that if it has brown buttons. Those sound awful.

Minuit, after reading your comment about white or brown buttons, I had to go look right away to see which it had.  You solved another issue.  The radio has Jeep on it but has neither white nor bron controls on it. All black. The plastic around it is cracked/broken.  Someone must have replaced the radio already (with a Jeep radio).  I won't repair it if not original to MJ.  It did fit though.  Someone that saw the MJ and commented on it said it was the original Jeep radio.  He said that he had 16 different Jeeps over time.  

19 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Minuit, after reading your comment about white or brown buttons, I had to go look right away to see which it had.  You solved another issue.  The radio has Jeep on it but has neither white nor bron controls on it. All black. The plastic around it is cracked/broken.  Someone must have replaced the radio already (with a Jeep radio).  I won't repair it if not original to MJ.  It did fit though.  Someone that saw the MJ and commented on it said it was the original Jeep radio.  He said that he had 16 different Jeeps over time.  

Send me a pic of it. If you're replacing it I might be interested in taking it off your hands for parts.

1 minute ago, HOrnbrod said:

Thanks - thought the brown buttons were just dirty. Never had one.  :confused:

At first I thought so too. After looking at a few I'm pretty sure someone consciously chose to make the buttons that awful shade of sickly brown.

Minuit, after looking at your post and pictures I took another look at the radio.  The painted labels at the controls are white.  It is the same top radio that you picture above (without the tape player). I have not messed with the radio in over a year. Low and behold, it now works. No sound out of the left front speaker but that could be a bad speaker or wire.  The screen does not light up. Is there a separate fuse for that?  I previously was not aware that the power/fader knob punches in and out to to control the left to right fader and the front to back fader. The larger outer button in broken but works.  The sound is less than glorious.  What does the DX button do?  Is that an online operators manual for that radio?

36 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Minuit, after looking at your post and pictures I took another look at the radio.  The painted labels at the controls are white.  It is the same top radio that you picture above (without the tape player). I have not messed with the radio in over a year. Low and behold, it now works. No sound out of the left front speaker but that could be a bad speaker or wire.  The screen does not light up. Is there a separate fuse for that?  I previously was not aware that the power/fader knob punches in and out to to control the left to right fader and the front to back fader. The larger outer button in broken but works.  The sound is less than glorious.  What does the DX button do?  Is that an online operators manual for that radio?

The fact that it's suddenly begun working makes it even more likely that it has bad solder joints. It'll stop working again soon. The display doesn't light up because the lightbulbs behind the screen are blown out.

The DX button just changes how sensitive the SEEK function is. It only picks up strong stations when DX is off, and when it's on it will pick up less strong stations.

I produce owner's manuals for some versions yet, but not that one. You've pretty much discovered all its secrets so far, but it doesn't seem to me like that radio is worth hanging onto in its current state. Sounds like it's sick.

45 minutes ago, Minuit said:

The fact that it's suddenly begun working makes it even more likely that it has bad solder joints. It'll stop working again soon. The display doesn't light up because the lightbulbs behind the screen are blown out.

The DX button just changes how sensitive the SEEK function is. It only picks up strong stations when DX is off, and when it's on it will pick up less strong stations.

I produce owner's manuals for some versions yet, but not that one. You've pretty much discovered all its secrets so far, but it doesn't seem to me like that radio is worth hanging onto in its current state. Sounds like it's sick.

Laughing. Yeah it has mental problems.  I will send it and my exwife out to you.

About a year ago I installed a new Pioneer (DEH-X3900BT) AM/FM/CD/BT/Media head unit from Amazon ($75). I'm not engaging in any stereo wars, but it sounds good and has good volume with the Boss Chaos 3-way speakers I put in the doors (5.25") and rear (4" x 6") at the same time . I'm happy....but understand my original door speakers were shot and the rear speakers were the originals also, but completely functional, so almost anything was going to be an improvement. $15 (and an extra $5 off, to make it $10) and $18 dollars, respectively, from Amazon for the speakers. The front speakers are rated to 200 watts and the rears are rated at 250, if that means anything to you.

At those prices, certainly not top of the line, but I just listen to the oldies (60's, 70's, 80's) driving to and from work. I'm not engaging in any stereo wars.

The radio fits the opening well without an additional face plate. It does stick out some, but so what.

Positives = Blue Tooth phone / still can play my CD's / can charge the phone / radio

Negatives = External microphone for BT phone (but it really doesn't matter to me) / I think the model is discontinued

20181004_182906.jpg

Thanks for the imformation and pics. HOrnbrod, is the temperature guage (showing 67 degress) something offerred by Jeep back then? I have wondered what was intended/offerred for some of the 5 slots on each side of the steering wheel. Pete, i notice one block the size of 3. I have not seen that before. Anyone know what they would all be for? While at it what are the 4 rectangular blanks below the steering column intended for. On 87MJ, the left most one is broken out. Don't know if it was a light or a switch. The other 3 are blanks. All 4 on 89 are blanks. Both 4.0s, 5 speed. 2wd.