6.2 LS3/L99 and 6L80 in my LJ

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 12:10 AM, krustyballer16 said:

" o god, the brakes don't work very well!" Hilarious. Great update

They still don't!  I am getting a brake kit from Black Magic Brakes when I get back from vacation.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:26 AM, Red Mistress said:

Awesome electric lime green LJ.

Thanks!  I looked for about four years for one to become affordable after they came out.

I asked Pete for permission to post this once.

Part of the final touch for getting this drive train swap done is getting the gauge cluster working.  Of course I plan to do the same as I did in the Comanche with a translator box for the two different manufacturer's communication protocols.  I have had a handful of people asking me over the past month when I would start selling these to the public.  By this point I am so far long on the hardware design side that I am actually starting my own company.

https://www.scarletperformance.com/ - Just the logo for now on the site.  More will come in a few months once production samples are produced.

ScarletPerformanceDark.png

Interfaces and Protocols(More Protocols in the Future) Include:
* 2x CAN with all supported speeds
    * GMLAN
    * Haltech CAN
* Single Wire CAN (Low Speed)
    * GMLAN SWC
* Chrysler CCD
* ISO9141 K and L
* J1850 VPW
    * Chrysler PCI
* J1850 PWM

Features:
* 5v DAC for simulating engine health sensor output
* 12v DAC for simulating engine health sensor output
* 8x 12 volt General Purpose Inputs for digital logic
* SD Card slot for data logging
* QSPI 32Mbit Flash for additional code storage(CircuitPython support)
* JTAG/SWD 10 pin connector(For total customization of the firmware)
* USB port for end user configuration and flashing

To be clear: Scarlet Performance is not associated with the Comanche Club and this will be the only time I will be posting about it in this fashion.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did manage to reduce the size of the PCB somewhat.  Now I need to get a lot of sleep and do more rounds of checks before sending it off for manufacturing.  The SD card slot was rotated 180º the wrong way and I almost did not notice.

TranslatorGM-Top-v4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had to move the USB and JTAG connectors around since three sides with connectors makes manufacturing an enclosure much more annoying and expensive. The mounting holes were also too close to the edges of the PCB to be able to use self clinching fasteners due to clearance needed for the installation tool.  There is a ton more that has been corrected and fixed on the PCB as well.

Enclosure-Open-v3.png

Enclosure-Closed-v3.png

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the hospital for a bit, but I have been at home for a bit resting and working.  The PCB design was approved by the fabrication company this morning and I should have prototypes in hand around the end of May!

• 2 weeks later...

I had to put the video on Twitter to post it here, but doing a virtual dyno pull on my Jeep's PCI bus controlled instrument cluster.  I have alpha levels of GMLAN, Haltech, AEMnet, Chrysler PCI, and CCD protocols/interfaces implemented.

The prototype PCB panels have been fabricated and partial assembly is underway.  I will do the final assembly of through hole parts when they arrive.  I ordered 5/10 of them assembled so I will have prototypes to distribute to people for research and development.

• 3 weeks later...

The fabrication company just sent me a picture of board number one!  There are two issues with the solder mask that do not affect the board functionality that I will have to correct for production boards.  Once they arrive I will make any repairs and assemble the through hole parts.

TGMEBoard1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, 89 MJ said:

How has the LJ been doing lately?

I am further along with the firmware for the hardware.  The interior is reinstalled and it is looking cleaner with some other touch up bits.

I am reducing the amount of hobbies that I have my hands in and vehicles is the big one that is getting cut.  I am only doing what I need to make the LJ back to complete.