Renix 120 MPH Speedo?

2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Create your own. 

Qv3AVVk.jpg

I prefer to keep a stock appearance in the interior.  I would rather spend more effort and time to retain a factory look.  My goal is to build the Comanche into something that will look like a factory option.

2 hours ago, bad_idea said:

Well, that's no fun.  How about swapping the electric speedo from a 91-96 into a Renix?  Is it as easy as swapping the speed output from the transmission and speedo, then running a few wires?

2 hours ago, bad_idea said:

I prefer to keep a stock appearance in the interior.  I would rather spend more effort and time to retain a factory look.  My goal is to build the Comanche into something that will look like a factory option.

HO sensor runs through the ECU if I'm not mistaken, and since you are eliminating stock ECUs of any kind..........moot. 

I too will be going SBC, learned my lesson the hard way. 

I'll have $12-15K in my engine alone if I'm able to pull off what I want. I want accurate and reliable information.

If you want accurate and reliable gauges in a stock configuration- Dakota Digital is your only possible option. I'll tell you what they told me- "Send us the complete stock cluster and we'll get back to you in 6 months". Their verbal quote was $1600. 

There is always a trade-off.........you choose. 

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Nah. Only made police packages 91 and later. 

The Brit speedo was a 120 MPH and looks correct in the HO cluster. There's a little jumper wiring required on the case printed circuit to make it work. The police cluster doesn't come with a tach.

eurospeedo1.jpg.278bf27592eb898ec51f82edb9d5ec16.jpg

cop1.jpg.6d13598b648a876649168fc981fbc89b.jpg

policespeedo.jpg.91438974bdc7ece48fbb28e11f783b79.jpg

Lol. My bad. I was thinking about how the HO speedo goes to 200 km/h. I meant to say 180km/h is just shy of 120mph. I had my first MJ up to an indicated 185km/h, and I sure as hell would not want to find myself doing 200mph in it, I'll tell you that. 

3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Canadian-spec metric speedometers in Renix years went to 180km/h which is just shy of 200mph. They may not have mph on them though... Might be able to get stickers made. 

180 klometers is 111.487 miles.

100 km is 62 mph

Looking carefully at my Canadian diesel Comanche, I see marker 10 km beyond 180. Marked to 190 km or 118.061 mph.

It doesn't take much training to use the metric speedo in the U S .  MPH marks are on the metric speedo.

29 minutes ago, johnj92131 said:

180 klometers is 111.487 miles.

Yeah we've been over this. 

But also no it's not. It's 112. You've got a rounding error in there with your calculation (should have come out closer to 111.85), plus you can't assign that degree of precision when your initial data point isn't that precise. In some contexts you wouldn't even be able to call it any better than 110, given that zeros are rarely significant figures. 

If you're gonna correct me after someone else already has, the least you can do is be accurate about it. :laugh:

Since the Renix speedometer is mechanical, there are no printed circuit connections to it. So it should be possible to mount the HO police speedometer without any butchery of the cluster. So then the issue is making it read. On the transfer case end, the electronic sender mounts the same way the mechanical quill mounts for the cable speedometers, so that's not an issue. I don't know where my '94 FSM is at the moment, so I can't look up a wiring diagram to see if it feeds through the ECU. If that's the case -- wouldn't it be possible to mount an HO ECU somewhere, give it a power and ground connection, and then just use the pins that are associated with the speedo?

There are aftermarket controllers that'll do the job fairly easily.  Pick your gauge, pick your sender, and the controller sorts it out. 

Like this one:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd126.htm

This is simply the first I pulled up with Google, I can't really give any recommendations for or against it. 

You'd need to locate an electronic sender that would work with the trans, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue, and after that it shouldn't be that big a deal to hook it up.

I would go that route over GPS. It really doesn't take all that much to screw up the GPS signal. I hit satellite dead spots pretty frequently. Plus you don't need to pack your tin-foil hat. 

“I would go that route over GPS. It really doesn't take all that much to screw up the GPS signal. I hit satellite dead spots pretty frequently. Plus you don't need to pack your tin-foil hat.”

You mean to say that you don’t always wear your tinfoil hat?  What with your relative closeness to the magnetic pole, those Northern lights (everyone knows those are a cover the aliens use to hide their saucers) and the thinner atmosphere (you know - because you’re so much higher up there according to my globe), I assumed a tinfoil hat would be mandatory for radiation protection.

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Why would anyone in the US want to use a metric speedo? I forget John - is/was your converted diesel truck originally a CDN vehicle?

Yes it was  Metric gauges and all.  The rest of the world uses the metric system. Even U.S. army does. I am 25 miles north of Mexico, so go there often.  Helps keep the policia away when I know the speed limits.  Same thing in Canada, had a RCMP pull me over 20 years ago.

Besides, the rough math is easy. 5 miles = 8 km

BTW, the diesel is running very nicely now. Just needs A/C.

My son returned the 91 on Monday because it keeps stalling on him.  So he has the diesel now and I get to take the 91 to the shop.

4 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Yeah we've been over this. 

But also no it's not. It's 112. You've got a rounding error in there with your calculation (should have come out closer to 111.85), plus you can't assign that degree of precision when your initial data point isn't that precise. In some contexts you wouldn't even be able to call it any better than 110, given that zeros are rarely significant figures. 

If you're gonna correct me after someone else already has, the least you can do is be accurate about it. :laugh:

Missed the previous correction!  Agreed, speedometers are not that accurate, plus are on optometristic side.  Especially on 30+ year old Jeep's.

On my old Passat TDI, odometer disagreed with speedometer by over 7%.

2 hours ago, Keyav8r said:
I assumed a tinfoil hat would be mandatory for radiation protection.

Oh come now. I'm only at 56°N. We don't even have snow on the ground yet this far south. 

Plus the northern lights play some soothing music. Like space whale songs. Why would you want to block that out?