Gjeep

Dual OEM Aux Fan Installation, Part 2...An alternative.

I decided when rebuilding my ’92 MJ I wanted to have a similar set up to Hornbrod using OEM parts. I got to thinking…and remembered the RHD XJ model fan set up in opposite the LHD, meaning the efan is on the passenger side and the clutch fan on the driver side. I took a chance and ordered a Mopar RHD efan. Sure enough the fan/ motor assembly is the identical part number as the LHD model, only the shroud is different. The RHD variant allowed me to mount the efan with only one modification to the upper radiator support -- drilling a mounting hole. 

Below are photos of the RHD Mopar efan:

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

And as it would be installed. On the bottom side of the radiator I carved out a simple plate that mounts to the original efan/ fan shroud radiator tabs that the 2 fans can drop into.

dual.jpg

Instead of using a SPAL controller, I went with a hard-wired switch to the Renix temperature switch opening in the radiator. HO radiators already have the Renix provision in place, it’s just a matter of removing the plug. After much internet research, I went with a Facet temperature switch# 7.5007. This is from a Peugeot 205 1.9L Cooling Fan Switch (on @ 189*/off @ 170*). This was a direct fit for the Renix radiator switch hole.

wiring.JPG

switch.JPG

I used Bosch relay# 12631710726 which is a 5-pin relay with diode (for primary efan to temp switch wiring). This relay has a diode within. The diode absorbs the high voltage spike created by the collapsed magnetic field on de-energization of the coil.

Nice job G - I like it. I never thought of using a LHD aux fan when I did mine years ago, I like your setup a lot better. Less work, looks cleaner, and fits better. I'm curious as to why you didn't use the Spal two-speed controller for the additional fan. Mine has been working great and the 2nd fan only comes on at HI speed when stuck in traffic on the hottest summer days. Guessing you went with the external relay setup instead of the Spal controller because of the better current carrying capability?

Yep, basically simplicity. I do like what the spal can do, but I wanted to both keep it simple and have it look/ be more OEM-ish. And I think this set up is along the lines of what Jeep would have done with the dual efan set up back in ‘92. 

On 8/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, Gjeep said:

I took a chance and ordered a Mopar RHD efan. 

Thank you very much for posting this.  I was considering a similar setup for my 91 and 92.

I was recently talking to the mechanic who does my inspections, who happened to be working on a RHD XJ at the time, and he said the RHD fans and shrouds were NLA.  So I kind of ditched the idea.  I should have looked further into it.

Do you have a Mopar part number for the RHD fan and shroud?  Awesome tip on the 97-01 upper rad support.

52028339AB

RockAuto has them for $340. Ebay has them as well. Plenty available new.

Last week there was a RHD used fan on ebay UK. Unfortunately it's no longer available/ sold.

Relays and wiring in place. On the left side is the factory fog light relay. I re-wired it into a new relay box, so I could mount/ attach the same style relay for the full-time efan complete with 25 amp fuse.

relays.jpg

Dang. I owned a wrecked RHD XJ and this is one piece I didn’t grab. 

Added to my junkyard wishlist!

Nice work!

Here the RHD and LHD OEM fans are installed. Hoping to fire the truck up for the first time next week and I'll know if the temp switch in the radiator works well for the primary fan set up. 

Fan 1.jpg

Fan 2.jpg

That thing is TOO clean.  Wow.  Looks great.  I like the setup, especially the fan switch.  Thanks for the part number.

I have basically the same setup...... The only thing I have extra is toggles in cab so I can manually over-ride for either off or on (one for each fan).

And to make you think about it......I can run 90% of the time with no fan running....

Just to update, I scrapped the relay/ coolant temp switch set up for a SPAL controller (same as Hornbrod's). Only difference will be I am going to run both the primary and secondary fan off the SPAL controller. Will program the fan's to come on in both low and high temperature settings.

It doesn't fit the bends of the upper radiator support. The RHD fan does.