Thinking About Trading MJ

Keyav8r

I’m recovering from surgery for torn bicep in right shoulder and can’t drive my 5 speed MJ until therapy is done.  Also have left shoulder feeling like future rotator cuff surgery.  Yeah, if I’d known I’d live this long I would have taken better care of myself.  Thinking the thing to do is go auto trans.

Don’t want to consider a transmission swap as (a) I’ve heard it’s tedious and doesn’t always work out 100% correct, and (b) shoulder problems.

So, thinking about trying to work out a trade for an equivalent MJ with auto trans.  Anyone in the AL/West GA/NW FL/East MS area interested drop a PM and we can trade photos and discuss possibility.

Mine is ‘91 Eliminator, AX-15, 4WD, very good interior and exterior, original drive train, 187K miles, 3rd owner.

If this is the wrong forum, please move to correct.7BB17E86-DDB7-43BA-B6DE-494807DD2CBB.jpeg.ce10a9b8e099db1bd60faabed3e83348.jpeg7613E20E-7D01-45E4-AB9C-CB914D4C3825.jpeg.e7a2b14b77a34343cb7a6a99ca7f0e48.jpeg

1 hour ago, Keyav8r said:

Yeah, if I’d known I’d live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

I can relate to that

Nice truck ... I bet someone will come through.

Hurst/Core short throw. 

With the right stick........they do make a longer more curved stick..............

You can shift with your wrist and you elbow on the console. 

It's that short, really. 

Just something to consider. 

I’ll probably stick it out (pun intended) and keep the 5 speed at least for the near future.  It just feels like a waste not being able to drive it since June and probably not again until September at the best.

1 hour ago, Keyav8r said:

I’ll probably stick it out (pun intended) and keep the 5 speed at least for the near future.  It just feels like a waste not being able to drive it since June and probably not again until September at the best.

Not good for your rig either.  :sad:

You’re right about that.  I went down yesterday and opened the driver’s side door and no interior lighting came on.  I must have a continuous power drain on the battery with the engine and all lights off.  While I can’t drive it right now, at least I can charge the battery and test for a power drain one circuit at a time.

May get my buddy to drive it around a little to circulate the fluids.

• 1 month later...

Update - got past the shoulder/bicep therapy, put a new battery in the MJ and took it out for a good drive.  Everything worked as before and shifting effort not that bad but not back to where I was yet.

About two weeks back I stopped for lunch while in Florence, AL.  Got out of the Ram, walked 10–15 feet, tripped over something and landed HARD on my right knee.  When I say hard, I mean saying unkind things about the parents of the guy who paved the parking lot hard, while trying to straighten out my leg and get back up.  Took a while to do so.  I tried to walk it off for a week or so and finally gave up and, being urged to do so, went to the ortho Doctor.  After x-rays, he says I have a cracked kneecap and sends me for a MRI to determine if it would be surgery to repair soft tissue (the crack will heal on its own) or a brace to keep my leg straight while the soft tissue heals itself.  Tells me to walk straight-legged until we get the MRI results.  (Wife said “I told you to go to the doctor when it happened”. I really hate it when she’s right.)

Doctor’s office calls Friday morning, says good news - no knife work required, but come in for a brace and maybe crutches.  When I call back I get the answering service because they take Friday afternoons off.  So, I go in tomorrow for a knee brace to wear for several weeks and maybe crutches (really don’t want crutches).

The really bad parts about this are (a) I could have avoided the injury if I had been paying more attention to my surroundings p, and (b) I can’t drive the MJ for several more weeks.

Fellow Olde Phartes - be careful!  We become more fragile as we get older.

14 hours ago, Keyav8r said:

Update - got past the shoulder/bicep therapy, put a new battery in the MJ and took it out for a good drive.  Everything worked as before and shifting effort not that bad but not back to where I was yet.

About two weeks back I stopped for lunch while in Florence, AL.  Got out of the Ram, walked 10–15 feet, tripped over something and landed HARD on my right knee.  When I say hard, I mean saying unkind things about the parents of the guy who paved the parking lot hard, while trying to straighten out my leg and get back up.  Took a while to do so.  I tried to walk it off for a week or so and finally gave up and, being urged to do so, went to the ortho Doctor.  After x-rays, he says I have a cracked kneecap and sends me for a MRI to determine if it would be surgery to repair soft tissue (the crack will heal on its own) or a brace to keep my leg straight while the soft tissue heals itself.  Tells me to walk straight-legged until we get the MRI results.  (Wife said “I told you to go to the doctor when it happened”. I really hate it when she’s right.)

Doctor’s office calls Friday morning, says good news - no knife work required, but come in for a brace and maybe crutches.  When I call back I get the answering service because they take Friday afternoons off.  So, I go in tomorrow for a knee brace to wear for several weeks and maybe crutches (really don’t want crutches).

The really bad parts about this are (a) I could have avoided the injury if I had been paying more attention to my surroundings p, and (b) I can’t drive the MJ for several more weeks.

Ain't that the truth. I broke my left elbow in a bizarre fall 3 weeks ago. Had surgery and now on the mend. 

Another Olde Pharte checking in to confirm. In January of 2017 I was in a hotel room in Las Vegas (I was there for the annual SHOT Show, not to gamble). Got up to walk across the room for a glass of water to take my evening heart meds and both heard and felt a tremendous "POP" from my hip. By the time I made it home after the show, I could hardly walk. I've been through 16 weeks of physical therapy, two months of walking with a cane, and three cortisone injections. A year and a half later, I'm finally more or less able to move normally with excessive pain. How did it start? It started in 2014, doing cardio rehab after my heart surgery. I overdid it on a recumbent bicycle machine and over-stressed the right hip. For awhile I almost couldn't drive at all. Couldn't move my right foot from the gas peddle to the brake, so I was limited to driving my wife's XJ, which is automatic. I had to learn left foot braking.

They tell me getting old beats the alternative, but there are days when I question that.

Hang in there, Keyav8r. You'll drive the MJ again.

Update - got the full leg brace and the d@#n crutches.  Doc says 2 weeks then he’ll x-ray the knee again and tell me what’s next.  Hopefully it will be to get rid of the crutches.  I can live with the brace but after one day on the crutches I can feel my spine mis-aligning and my right bicep Is not at all happy.

Oh well, such is life.  Could have been surgery and I’m truly thankful I dodged that bullet.  Onward to the next “golden years adventure”!

• 5 weeks later...

Last update to this post - the ‘91 has a new home.  Couldn’t find a trade for an auto MJ.  Ran a Facebook ad and the second guy to look at it bought it.  Said he’d always wanted a MJ and now he has a good one.  I gave him a CC card and suggested he join up but don’t know if he has.

Even though I no longer own a MJ, I’ll continue to hang out here to keep up with what’s happening in the MJ world.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, Keyav8r said:

Isn't that the truth.   One month ago I rolled my ankle and damaged my ligaments while playing tennis.   It was the last night of our league play.   I just shed my air cast and am looking forward to six weeks, hopefully no more, of physio.   Two days later my younger brother (64) pulled a hamstring while curling of all things.   For both of us it's our driving foot/leg.   The worst part is that we're both missing the auto flea markets, shows and auction we've been going to for a long time at this time of year.