Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

WahooSteeler

Don't have experience with the Grand Cherokee but I had a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel as a work truck for a while, and I've had contact with a few others. There was a bit of a learning curve to keep the emission system happy; pretty well throw out the book on how to run a diesel. Don't sit idling, let the engine work, and it would be pretty good. They also didn't really seem to like just putzing around town at low speed unless you got into the boost on accel every other time, which was a bit of fun.

As far as MPG is concerned, we could get north of 25mpg on the highway, which is pretty damn good for a half-ton IMO.

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

Don't have experience with the Grand Cherokee but I had a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel as a work truck for a while, and I've had contact with a few others. There was a bit of a learning curve to keep the emission system happy; pretty well throw out the book on how to run a diesel. Don't sit idling, let the engine work, and it would be pretty good. They also didn't really seem to like just putzing around town at low speed unless you got into the boost on accel every other time, which was a bit of fun.

As far as MPG is concerned, we could get north of 25mpg on the highway, which is pretty damn good for a half-ton IMO.

Yeah a little research showed lots of problems with check engine lights and emissions issues with the 2014 models. Apparently it was so bad at one point FCA was offering buybacks. But later posts on chat boards said the main problem was an improperly designed CAT and once that was replaced most people's problems went away. Several other repair bulletins to make sure got done also. Many reported city mileage in the low 20s and hwy mileage around 30mpg. Something to consider.......... 

gogmorgo is spot on. We looked at the diesel before buying our Hemi Trailhawk. It was a demo as the diesels were not being sold because of their issues. We drove it and I was not impressed at all. I have been a diesel mechanic for 25 years and it did not feel like a diesel should. I worried about issues later on with the emissions system. We drove the Hemi next, took it home for the weekend and drove the piss out of it. We put 500 miles on it and loved everything about it. Power? Oh my world is it a beast! Economy? Yep, 22+ on the highway. Comfort? so smooth! the trans knows just what gear to be in and when.

The most important difference, LIFETIME Mopar warranty. Unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. Look into the Max Care if you plan on keeping a vehicle for more than the factory warranty.

As a dealer tech, I'm seeing more and more issues with the eco diesels as they get up in milage. I have 2 in my bays right now (Ram 1500's). Its all to do with the emissions systems and glow plugs. The only other issues Ive seen (twice) is guys filling them up with gasoline. I thought it would be cool to have one for myself at some point, but knowing what I know now, I wouldnt have one.

I reeeeeeallllyy like our little CRD Liberty.  I like the noises it makes, the power it makes, the mpgs it makes.  puts a real smile on my face every time I get into it. :D  Having said that, my CRD has very little in common with the newer diesels and if I was looking at a grand cherokee, the Hemi is what I would get.  we have the Hemi in the Durango and I agree with Bo's comments on it.  it is a sweet power plant.  :L:  

2 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

As a dealer tech, I'm seeing more and more issues with the eco diesels as they get up in milage. I have 2 in my bays right now (Ram 1500's). Its all to do with the emissions systems and glow plugs. The only other issues Ive seen (twice) is guys filling them up with gasoline. I thought it would be cool to have one for myself at some point, but knowing what I know now, I wouldnt have one.

My grandson is also a dealer tech here in Southern California.  He tells the same type of stories about the eco diesel and advises me to steer clear of them.  He also mentions bottom end issues.   Dominic is also a diesel engine fan.    I am really sorry to hear this about the Ram/Jeep 3.0 litre diesel.  Sure hope the new 3.0 diesels from Ford and Chevrolet work out better.  BMW diesels seem to be very robust and reliable.

To be honest we've had problems with almost all of the newer diesels here, even the Cummins and Powerstrokes, plus the baby Duramax in the Colorado, almost all of it emissions-related. They're fine if you work them, moving loads, getting your foot into it on hills, etc. But there are people using them just for short trips and driving them gently, letting them sit idling all day... Just not moving enough air through them, or getting them hot enough, or something. Honestly even the big Cumminses in our Western Star highway plows behave the same, although they're generally working... just try telling a truck driver he can't leave his truck idling, watch his reaction. 

No comment on the eco-diesel, but love my Hemi!  Gobs and gobs of power.  21-22 MPG highway at maybe a little above the limit.  And 8 speed tranny that always has the right gear for the occcasion.

Did not know the Hemis were returning 20+ mpg hwy, that's impressive IMO

I would have already bought a used Audi Q7 TDI but my wife would have nothing to do with it because it effectively only has 1! cupholder for the front seats. The center armrest/storage has a split lid and the passenger side lifts up to reveal a 2nd cupholder, but you literally have to reach back with your RIGHT arm if you are the passenger to grab your drink. I can't blame her, that's crazy. A 7 passenger SUV and you only have 1 true cupholder up front? Stupid reason to not buy a car but with kids and lots of running around it's a real world problem. THAT said, the guy I buy my cars from drives one and recently went 800+ miles on a tank of fuel! 35mpg+ and that thing is a beast!

The above is why I always had a pair of old work boots in the passenger footwell of my Lada. Cup holders are a must with a manual trans... don't know what the soviets expected me to do with my vodka bottles. But even with an automatic I get frustrated with my Jimmy's cup holders, cause I end up having to hang onto them or I end up with drinks on my or the passenger's feet if I take a corner at more than a crawl. Cup holders really do make a difference. I got pretty exited upon discovering that my ZJ not only has cup holders, but they're actually decent ones. It wouldn't have affected my buying the ZJ cause you don't turn down that five-speed, but they're turning out to be pretty critical to my mornings. 

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

Cup holders are a must with a manual trans

This is a great source of frustration on my manual '89 MJ with the factory cupholder that goes over where the handbrake would be on an XJ. Now that I'm driving it a little more I'm going to have to sort out some real cupholders. I haven't found a single type of drink container that the factory cupholders hold well. Not to mention, I almost knock my drink on the floor every time I go to shift...

My Thunderbird takes the prize for "least thought out cupholder" though.

5 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Did not know the Hemis were returning 20+ mpg hwy, that's impressive IMO

the Durango usually gets 23-24 on the highway.  the 4cylinder deactivation thingie is pretty awesome. :D  

IF I keep my foot out of my 2014 Ram 1500 (on cruise at 70), I can see mid to high 22 MPG.  However, if I run with the traffic (75-80), it drops into the low to mid 21 MPG, sometimes dips into the high 20 range if I have some above 80 MPH mixed in.

Around town (mix of Interstates and surface streets), it runs 17 - 19 MPG depending on the mix.

The 3.0L EcoDiesel is a great little engine manufactured by VM Motori, but as others have already stated the emissions systems required by the US EPA really tarnish its reputation in terms of reliability.  VM Motori also made the diesel engine in the 2005-2006 CRD Liberty and that is generally considered very reliable, but the US EPA was a lot more lenient a decade ago so there were fewer emission systems required, which ultimately meant less parts that could fail and cause a domino effect leading to other parts/systems failing.

The only 3.0L EcoDiesel I have driven was in a 2015 Ram 1500 and it didn't have a lot of the "harsh" diesel engine characteristics that I've experienced from many of its bigger brothers i.e. the 5.9L Cummins (I own one), the 6.0L Powerstroke (co-worker has one I ride in often) or the 6.7L Cummins (buddy has one).  I found the EcoDiesel to be very smooth, free of vibrations and extremely quiet.

In my opinion the biggest issue with the 3.0L EcoDiesel is the fact that every vehicle model that offers it as an option already uses a good, proven gasoline engine as their standard offering.  Modern gasoline engines have made some pretty significant improvements over the last decade in terms of power and fuel economy where diesel engines don't really make too much sense for the extra $$ that comes with them.  It would be interesting to see what kind of similar improvements could be made to diesel engines if they received the same amount of R&D effort as the gasoline engines have, but that will never happen.  All of the R&D effort on diesels is spent coming up with ways to comply with the ever-changing rules and regulations of the US EPA.

There was a decent learning curve to get over with gasoline emissions equipment too, but we've made it to a point where they're not taking much away from the performance of the engine. Hopefully it's not too much longer before we start seeing that in diesels. It would really be nice if they could also figure out a way to do it without urea injection, or find a way to make those systems happy below 0°F, which most of them currently aren't... kinda rough when that's a warm winter's day in your neck of the woods.

But they'll get it sorted out eventually. That or electrics will come to be so commonplace that it won't much matter.