Look what I spied...

13 Legion

Not sure in what header to post under... feel free to move!! Working up at Ohare. Spotted this in Parking lot. This Comanche was in really great shape. Even the underside looked clean. Maybe a fellow members? Has Illinois plates( no way it spent its life here!!!) It also had a Missouri sticker on the windshield. Maybe not a big deal to most of ya... but Comanches are like unicorns riding Haley’s Comet around these parts

AAB64CB2-ABD1-4D58-BDDC-25C4BB395844.jpeg

Mornin' all and thanks for the invite 13 Legion.  So first if all, that's my truck shown above, it's an '88 Pioneer, just under 180k miles, everything has been kept original but the radio.  To answer your question from the note, sorry, she isn't for sale, she has entirely too much sentimental value (which I'm sure you all don't want to hear about, lol.  

Thanks again for the invite, and as I continue to work on her I'll post pics.  

ok, so here goes:

My Dad bought this truck brand new in December of '88, just a couple of weeks before I turned 16.   Here's the thing: my Dad had only ever had Dodge trucks.  Matter of fact, he was getting the oil changed on his '85 Power Ram when he bought it.  So my Dad walks in the door to the house with a sh*t-eating grin and a "Come look what I got."  I saw it in the driveway, and was in shock.   There is no way Dad just bought me a brand new truck, this has got to be a joke...

So, I'm freaking out, "YOU BOOUGHT ME A JEEP?!??!"  

My Dad: "Hell no, that's mine!!!"

"There's no way you'd buy a small truck, there's just no way!!  Not to mention, youre truck is only a couple years old.."

So this went on for a while, my Dad laughing hysterically because I thought it was for me....  

Anyway, I took my Driver's test in this truck a couple weeks after I turned 16.  I took my High School sweetheart (now my wife of 25 years) on a date in this truck.  I always told my Dad, I had first dibs if he ever got rid of it.  

When his health started failing in the late 90s/early 2000s, he rarely left the house.  He couldn't work, and the State of Missouri said he had too many assets (that he had worked his ass off his entire life for) to qualify for state assistance.  So my siblings and I made the decision to buy his stuff from him so he wouldn't have it in his name anymore.  Unfotunately, being in the Army and having 3 kids of my own, I couldn't afford to buy it.  So one of my sisters bought it.  She rarely drove it, just more wanted to keep it in the family.  After my Dad passed in 2012, she approached me about buying it from her, and I've had it ever since.  

My father was very meticulous about his vehicles, and believe it or not there has been zero restoration done...it's almost all original except the stereo and the rear bumper.  

I don't drive it very often, so I have thought about parting with it a few times... but I doubt I'll ever bring myself to let her go.

And that, my friends, is the back story on my Comanche...

20180421_131147.jpg

20180421_131221.jpg

20180421_131153.jpg

20180421_131151.jpg

20180421_131213.jpg

• 1 year later...