Barn Find project 89 MJ

Started with a Cherokee in highschool and regretted selling it every time I saw one go passed me on the road. I've always wanted a commanche but the ones that I would find were either beat to crap or the owner wants 8k. 

Found this gem for 200 bucks sitting in a barn. It's a one owner with 114k on it and a manual 5 speed trans. The bed is super rough because it was used for farm use, so I'm going to go with a flat bed and replace the doors and fenders with a donor 89 cherokee. 

Feel free to share any ideas on what this commanche build should be named. I'm thinking, "Screamin Manche" 

IMG_0883.JPG

Started with a Cherokee in highschool and regretted selling it every time I saw one go passed me on the road. I've always wanted a commanche but the ones that I would find were either beat to crap or the owner wants 8k. 
Found this gem for 200 bucks sitting in a barn. It's a one owner with 114k on it and a manual 5 speed trans. The bed is super rough because it was used for farm use, so I'm going to go with a flat bed and replace the doors and fenders with a donor 89 cherokee. 
Feel free to share any ideas on what this commanche build should be named. I'm thinking, "Screamin Manche" 
IMG_0883.JPG.6c462edaee1be01f03bd83e8b739398e.JPG

200 bucks you did well. I’d pay that and more just for the parts. Congrats once the MJ hook is in you it goes deep that’s for sure. But you know that by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to reading that!  I need to do mine- bodyguy missed them when I got the paintwork done.  So I get to try it myself. 

Are those the tires you plan on running? Because they are pretty old at this point (I believe the 'Radial' was dropped in 02 or 03). 

On 3/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, VArayMJ said:

It required a sledge Hammer to get the wheels off. They were basically welded on by rust... Also found a cool Mopar Accessories pamphlet in the cab.

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

I also have that same mopar pamphlet. It came with the owner's manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Comanche... She is now at my home garage and is running and driving. Right now I have it rigged up with just a portable Gas-Can because I'm in the process of ordering a new tank. 

I decided to run an E2000 external fuel pump that intended for a f150 with a 5.0. Have any of you'll ran this fuel pump?

IMG_1014_(1).JPG

Today I decided to put on some 4.5 inch coil springs that I had left over from an older Cherokee build. 

On the leaf springs I'm going to do a SOA (sprig over Axle) conversion and will put up a DIY thread.

I thought about doing a rear axle swap to something more solid like a Chrysler 8.25 or 8.8 but I'm just going to beef up the 35.

IMG_1056.JPG