Windshield wipers not working

The windshield wipers in my 89 are not working. I have checked the fuses and nothing is blown. The wipers will not do do anything on any setting. I can still click the high beams on and off but I figured that was on a different switch. Any help? How do I test to make sure the motor is good?

I pulled that circuit breaker as well as all the other fuses and relays from a junkyard MJ last Summer.   They didn't even charge me, as I had them scattered about in my wheel barrel and kind of forgot about them when i made my way to the PAY UP line.  I now keep them in a ziplock in my glovebox.  Anyhow, I used the junkyard circuit breaker to test my inoperable wipers I experienced last Month.  So glad I have my spares, man.  Yank those suckers next time you're near a junker.  You'll be glad you did.

So, IIRC that is a circuit breaker and should  reset if it clicks off.  I've had a similar ongoing problem with this.  The fuse slots were opened too wide for the thing to hold tight (likely the fuse box itself is compromised) and keep the CB set.  I used a pick to narrow the gap there and it was fine after that.  But it could really shake around in there, so that even if the CB was good, the connection was bad.  

44 minutes ago, ParadiseMJ said:

So, IIRC that is a circuit breaker and should  reset if it clicks off. 

Yes they should. Circuit breakers are often used in circuits supplying startup power to a motor to protect the wiring from high amperage draw. Examples are convertible tops, power windows, etc. If the motor has bad bearings or something else that causes a higher than normal amp draw, eventually the circuit breaker will burn up internally. So sometimes an open circuit breaker is an indicator that there's a problem with the motor it's protecting.

Yes they should. Circuit breakers are often used in circuits supplying startup power to a motor to protect the wiring from high amperage draw. Examples are convertible tops, power windows, etc. If the motor has bad bearings or something else that causes a higher than normal amp draw, eventually the circuit breaker will burn up internally. So sometimes an open circuit breaker is an indicator that there's a problem with the motor it's protecting.

I believe I'm having the same issue, can I use a fuse instead of the circuit breaker? The only time I could see wipers drawing more power is when they're frozen...which doesn't happen in SoCal...

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

4 minutes ago, Kyleinreallife said:

I believe I'm having the same issue, can I use a fuse instead of the circuit breaker? The only time I could see wipers drawing more power is when they're frozen...which doesn't happen in SoCal...

The motor can drag from stuck wiper linkage, bad bushings, etc. Don't go throwing in a 30A or something fuse in there or you may burn something up. The Jeep wiper breaker is rated at 5.2A, so put in a fuse around that size. Nothing over 10A....

The motor can drag from stuck wiper linkage, bad bushings, etc. Don't go throwing in a 30A or something fuse in there or you may burn something up. The Jeep wiper breaker is rated at 5.2A, so put in a fuse around that size. Nothing over 10A....

Okay, is the breaker something I can find at an auto parts store or do I have to go hunting?

On 1/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, Kyleinreallife said:

Okay, is the breaker something I can find at an auto parts store or do I have to go hunting?

Don't go buy one until you test it with an ohmmeter. What is the problem with your wipers?

Don't go buy one until you test it with an ohmmeter. What is the problem with your wipers?

I'm not sure exactly, I'm just getting into them. They didn't work when I bought it. I pulled the cover to inspect and found that the motor wasn't plugged in. I plugged it in and tried them again, still nothing. That's as far as I gotten into it, been chasing down a belt squeal which I've since fixed and can now hop back to the wipers.

Note: ignition...needs work. All positions function as they should, but it's a rough turn. And it works with no key at all. Also, the cruise control portion of the wiper control arm is missing, idk if that has anything to do with it.

I plan on putting power to the motor tomorrow to check if that works and then go from there....

• 4 years later...

HOrnbrod for the win in 2022. 
same issue as dustyinthedirt on my 89 pulled the wiper circuit breaker initially but nothing changed. Jumped on here for help, then I cleaned terminals  inside the fuse block after reading this thread and off and wiping! Thanks