Jump to content

Cricket Chirp advice


Recommended Posts

Had several things done just before Christmas. Water Pump, MAP Sensor, Replace Timing Cover Gasket, Timing Chain, Timing Chain Guide, Camshaft Sprocket & Crankshaft Sprocket.

 

Notes from Tech:

Technician removed front cover and found timing chain clearance excessive - spec is 1/2" of deflection, Chain was well over 2" of deflection. Timing chain dampener was laying out of socket.
Required replacement of chain, chain sprockets and dampener. Additional Labor Added For Removal Of Corroded Timing Cover Fasteners.

 

The truck does run better, but I have a chirp now. Tech knows and said he was a little concerned, but wasn't sure what it was. It's there on startup, but fades after 10-20 mins. Only chirps after a cold start. After warm-up it doesn't do it throughout the day or while driving.

 

I've read several articles on belts, pulleys, harmonic balancer. I have uploaded a MP3 of the sound hoping that hearing it may lead to more accurate suggestions. My hope is that it's NOT the balancer and I can take of it myself.

 

 

TomsTruck.mp3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mechanically speaking, changing the balancer is not very difficult.  It just involves removing a lot of stuff, the most problematic of which is draining and removing the radiator.

You can check your balancer with an inspection mirror or, if you have room and finger dexterity, by taking photos of it with your phone.

I have photos of the bad one I took off of my ‘88 and of the new one I installed for comparison.

PM an e-mail address if you’re interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't say I've spent much time staring into the engine bay of a Renix to see what kinda room there is, but I don't remember needing to pull anything to get the harmonic balancer out of my '91 4.0. Came at it from the bottom, used a cheapo parts-store puller. For putting it back on, use a longer bolt than just the retainer bolt to get it started, or you risk pulling the first couple threads out of the crank.

Reason for my replacing the harmonic balancer was for an intermittent chirp-chirp that was slowly getting worse. The failing hb was separating at the rubber bit in the middle, meaning once per revolution the pulley was slowly kicking the serp belt further and further into the timing chain cover . The chirp was the belt sawing into the timing cover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I can't say I've spent much time staring into the engine bay of a Renix to see what kinda room there is, but I don't remember needing to pull anything to get the harmonic balancer out of my '91 4.0. Came at it from the bottom, used a cheapo parts-store puller. For putting it back on, use a longer bolt than just the retainer bolt to get it started, or you risk pulling the first couple threads out of the crank.

Reason for my replacing the harmonic balancer was for an intermittent chirp-chirp that was slowly getting worse. The failing hb was separating at the rubber bit in the middle, meaning once per revolution the pulley was slowly kicking the serp belt further and further into the timing chain cover . The chirp was the belt sawing into the timing cover. 

Same. I keep forgetting to look at my 89, but I don't think you need to pull the rad to get at the balancer on it either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I was changing the timing chain and sprockets when I discovered the bad HB (had to pull it to do the other), which was why I had the radiator, etc. off.  May have been able to do that without pulling stuff but having it all out of the way made it easier for me.  Took longer, but I didn’t have any time restraint on that job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

IMHO it's folly to pull a harmonic balancer to do a timing chain and not replace the balancer...  But that's me.

 

Agree, this is just good common sense. The balancer is a consumable part (rubber). If you don't know it's history, replace it if it was pulled to complete another job. Same thing with the water pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
 
Agree, this is just good common sense. The balancer is a consumable part (rubber). If you don't know it's history, replace it if it was pulled to complete another job. Same thing with the water pump.
I need to apologize to all you who replied. I never got a notification that anyone had replied and I kept forgetting to check.

Anyway, still have the chirp, but I'll look into the suggestions here.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That really sounds like an unhappy bearing to me, and not the HB.  Unhook the belt and run it cold for a few seconds like DC says, it's a quick, free test.  Could be the idler pulley bearing or the front/rear bearings on the alternator.  The fact that it goes away when warm is telling me it's not the HB (which would be constant).

 

I would definitely check the HB though, just to make sure.  Leave that problem go long enough and it'll either separate and 'xplode or it will wear a hole in your timing cover.  NO bueno either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My 87 does the same thing.  I had to take it in for the chirp and a knocking sound that was apparently caused by an idler pulley going out and was told that because that pulley was loose the belt lost tension and got dirt or dust underneath it.

 I replaced the idler pulley and they wiped down the belt but the chirping is still there and it drives me nuts for the first 20 minutes of commuting. 

Did you buy a new belt and did that get rid of the chirp?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2018 at 12:05 AM, north9ish said:

My 87 does the same thing.  I had to take it in for the chirp and a knocking sound that was apparently caused by an idler pulley going out and was told that because that pulley was loose the belt lost tension and got dirt or dust underneath it.

 I replaced the idler pulley and they wiped down the belt but the chirping is still there and it drives me nuts for the first 20 minutes of commuting. 

Did you buy a new belt and did that get rid of the chirp?

 No new belt yet. HOWEVER, I did notice what appears to be a crack in the power steering pump pulley. Hoping someone here can verify that it is a crack or just normal manufacturing. If so, that may be the issue for my chirp.

 

PulleyCrack.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The harmonic balancer rubber isn’t coming out? Check the water pump pulley for a crack and idler bearing for dried out bushings. Take your belt off and turn everything by hand and listen to see which one. I had to add washers to align my PS and the other pulleys.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, carnuck said:

The harmonic balancer rubber isn’t coming out? Check the water pump pulley for a crack and idler bearing for dried out bushings. Take your belt off and turn everything by hand and listen to see which one. I had to add washers to align my PS and the other pulleys.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Finally got around to looking at this again. Noticed the idler pulley has just a slight bit of play in it. Is this okay, or is no play better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
Alright, final update. Replaced leaking power steering pump and chirp is gone. Apparently, that pulley was out of round and the leak was saturating the drive belt, which caused the chirp.


If your belt is messed up with oil, that could cause your vibration issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...