Using car-part.com... my n00b is showing...

Skorpyo

Ok, so I've never used car-part.com and I cannot for the life of me figure out if it's just a service to tell you what's near you or to be able to order parts from JYs or what... I tried to use the "request quote" feature multiple times for parts and I never get any reply. Prices outside of my area are sooooo much cheaper that it'd probably save me money even if they ship the part to me. But I cannot get any response... Am I doing this wrong?

Don't want to derail this thread from your question, but are aware there are two good pick-a-parts near you, one in Stafford and one in Fredericksburg?  I'll agree that their prices are higher than average but I always thought they had a pretty good selection of Jeeps.

I've never used car-part.com

24 minutes ago, schardein said:

Don't want to derail this thread from your question, but are aware there are two good pick-a-parts near you, one in Stafford and one in Fredericksburg?  I'll agree that their prices are higher than average but I always thought they had a pretty good selection of Jeeps.

I've never used car-part.com

Yeah, i've been to both and they're decent, but don't always have what I'm looking for so I thought I'd give car-part.com a try...

I do like the Stafford one, but the Fredericksburg one usually puts decent jeeps in their reserve lot so you can't pick them, and then charges more for their parts. Plus the idea of getting a part mailed to me is great since I don't always have time to run to a yard.

I use car-part.com all the time, but I've never clicked the "request quote" thingie.  I either call the phone number for the specific junkyard that shows what I seek, or I simply go to the yard in person if it's close enough.  

for those unfamiliar, car-part.com is a website that junkyards can use to list their parts.  some 'yards are very good at it and give accurate details and then remove the listing after it's sold.  Other 'yards are.... not so much.  in the end you're still going to be dealing directly with the junkyard itself so I would skip right to making that phone call.  car-part.com is just a conduit.  :thumbsup: 

^^ This. Call the yard directly who says they have what you need and inquire. When I was looking, I found several who listed MJs with D44's. After going to look at a couple and seeing they were D35's, I started asking for pics. If they wouldn't send them, I kept searching. Like Pete says, some yards are helpful, and some could care less.

3 hours ago, Skorpyo said:

Yeah, i've been to both and they're decent, but don't always have what I'm looking for so I thought I'd give car-part.com a try...

I do like the Stafford one, but the Fredericksburg one usually puts decent jeeps in their reserve lot so you can't pick them, and then charges more for their parts. Plus the idea of getting a part mailed to me is great since I don't always have time to run to a yard.

I've been to a LOT of "you pull it yards" over the years... and both those places have those reserve lots for the "desirable" stuff... only places I have been to that do that.  I'm not a fan of it either.

I've used car-part.com with some success over the years, but for sure ask a lot of questions to confirm it's the right part and get pics if you can as others have commented. Very few yards seem to list detailed info and even less update their listings when it's sold. I learned not to get my hopes up if I see the part I'm looking for until I have a conversation with the yard. Also, if it's an interior part, keep in mind a high percentage of these trucks have been sitting in that yard for a long time exposed to the elements with busted windows, doors missing, etc. so that kind of stuff is rarely in very good condition. Good luck! 

I have had good luck with going to yards that have the part listed and being able to get it. Bought a few of the correct color parts for my salvaged 2000 XJ that way.

I didn’t know you needed a receipt for salvage inspection and went back a year after I bought a fender to ask for one and they were new owners and said they don’t have the XJ anymore. I showed them that they still had parts listed from it and all I really needed was a receipt with vin on it. 

So they went and got the vin number and I got my receipt.

^^^In most jurisdictions a salvage inspection is barely a quick check of a couple things to make sure it's not going to kill anyone and more an investigation to make sure you didn't just steal a car, strip it, dump it, buy it legally at the police/insurance auction, then put all the parts back on.

I've found a few cases where you go to the yard based on a car-parts.com result, and while the vehicle may still be there, half the parts listed won't be. Either they don't bother updating, or someone trashed it while pulling something else, or grabbed a bunch of stuff from different vehicles and told the yard it was all off the same one... Not always the yard's fault.

But when you're really hunting for something and it's not too far out of your way, it's worth the chance. You're far more likely to find something by looking where someone said it was than by checking a bunch of haystacks for a needle you have no evidence was ever in one of them. Alternatively you may also be able to reach out online to someone local to investigate further if the yard isn't helpful to your inquiries.

I'm going to say ditto on it being unlikely the online inventory will be correct.

The local yard I deal with is not a u-pull-it type operation, yet they will let some people go in and pull some things.  I'm on a good enough basis there that I'm one of those special people, but you're only pulling small stuff with hand tools, nothing like an axle/engine/trans.  Anyways, even with all the big parts only being pulled by their own yard people their inventory is completely screwed.  I was looking for a D70 rear from an 01.5-02 Dodge 2500 (rather specific) and inventory showed they had three, so the owner gave me the ID/location of all of them and off I went to look.  Not one of those trucks still had the rear axle in it, in fact one of them was cut clean off behind the cab.  I wandered back in to tell him that and he mumbled something not suitable for young ears, then said "I gotta go give my yard guys $#!&.  Give me a minute."   Same thing happened when I phoned for a Ford HP D60, I said 3.55 gears because I was going to regear it anyways and they just wanted a ratio for the yard guys, inventory showed two, neither were there, so he wound up giving me a 4.10 one at half price after they spent a whole day looking for a 3.55 one. :laugh: