College Budget 1987 MJ Build

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t remember if I posted here, but my Comanche was leaking fuel around the return line. The joint where it passed through the plate had cracked. Well the JB fix gave out so I bought a MTS sender and it came in today and I installed it. What a pain in the butt. My factory unit has a ring at the top and bottom that support the fuel pump so I thought they had sent me the wrong sender because there’s no top ring. The top of the fuel pump is only supported by the hose. Then I put it in and got the lock ring and o ring perfect first try. Awesome pack up the tools and go home! Nope. Go to crank it and it just cranks and won’t start. So I think dang maybe I yanked a wire when putting the sender in. Pull it back out and everything is right. So then I check the wires in the tank and the colors match. Went and grabbed my old sender and the positive and negative on the MTS sender are swapped. So dang had to get my connector tool and swap the pins. Go and find what blew when the fuel pump was trying to send power straight to ground. Found what blew, awesome pump works. Go to put it back in and the stupid cheesy flimsy lock ring bent and the tabs got all wonky and fought it into place (hopefully it’s right) should’ve used my old lock ring, but at that point I was tired and it was dark. I haven’t put gas in it yet because it took like two hours longer than it should have because I had to redo the crap and trace stuff. Hopefully it doesn’t leak anymore, but I’m not super thrilled with it honestly. I’d add pictures right now, but my tapatalk limit is reached and I don’t feel like dealing with signing in on safari right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 11:47 AM, SatiricalHen said:

52ca7c5da29c7a964acbdb17265e2f31.jpg

Finally found a bench seat with headrests, now I just need to get it reupholstered and put it in.

wow, that's.... bad.  like about the worst I've seen that wasn't burnt up.  thankfully it'll live on once you get it fixed up :D  the headrest ones can be hard to find.

wow, that's.... bad.  like about the worst I've seen that wasn't burnt up.  thankfully it'll live on once you get it fixed up   the headrest ones can be hard to find.

It looks really bad, but the springs still look good, and it’s really on the foam backing on the material that makes it look terrible. I haven’t completely decided if I want to try to go with a factory black cloth style or just something solid black or what, but I think I’ve made my mind up that it’s getting black cloth and not vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...

afc28ba14763488ff2d18b995ad7a350.jpg

Got this switch panel from a buddy and I’m planning to use cargo light switch to run some led lights under the bed rails to give a clean factory look on the dash and give some good light for getting crap out of the bed. I have a cargo light, but I don’t know if I have the guts to drill holes in my cab. There are a few companies that make the over lays for these switch panels in white and I was trying to talk to one guy and see if they would make a black one with like a fan and an engine or something like that because I like having the factory look, but I’d also like to have the fan on a switch just cause and I still haven’t fixed my random no start issue so a switch for the starter. Anyway that was a long ramble for a very insignificant modification.

• 2 months later...

Did a quick little video showing how the exhaust sounds and how the truck looks, really digging the look of the one piece tinted windows personally. Let me know if y’all would like for me to take some more videos of other stuff

• 2 weeks later...
that sounds fantastic  

I don’t know why I’m not getting notifications anymore when people post on my threads or send me messages. Anyway, it sounds like no other 4.0 I’ve heard. I get asked all the time if it’s V8 swapped or what motor is in it. I need to get a good clip of it driving because it sounds interesting driving.

Sounds awesome and the tinted one piece windows look amazing!

Thanks, I’m supper happy with the look of the windows. I can’t decide if I want to put some of the stickers on the back window I used to have or not because it just looks sleek without them. I’d like to have a low profile black tool box, but those cost money and the one I have was in the truck when I bought it. I keep going back and forth about putting a quieter muffler on it to enjoy highway driving more, or leave it how it is because it sounds pretty mean. I also still need to get rid of the tick in the engine that drives me absolutely crazy. I have no clue what is causing the tick, but it is terrible.

Out of curiosity, why do you want bigger brakes? I believe I could lock up my 31s pretty quickly with stock brakes.

Just cause really. I have never done brakes or ball joints on the truck and I’m sure the ball joints are oem and the brakes have seen better days. I figured if I’m spending the money to do brakes and ball joints really the only cost difference is $50 or so at the junkyard to get knuckles and calipers I would think. I have a pile of unit bearings and broken stub shafts from my Cherokee so I’m sure I could find something in the pile that would work. I don’t need more braking power. I’m sure I have plenty of brake to lock up the tires on it.

5 minutes ago, SatiricalHen said:

Just cause really. I have never done brakes or ball joints on the truck and I’m sure the ball joints are oem and the brakes have seen better days. I figured if I’m spending the money to do brakes and ball joints really the only cost difference is $50 or so at the junkyard to get knuckles and calipers I would think. I have a pile of unit bearings and broken stub shafts from my Cherokee so I’m sure I could find something in the pile that would work. I don’t need more braking power. I’m sure I have plenty of brake to lock up the tires on it.

That makes sense. It never hurt anyone to upgrade (that I know of, ok, that's a lie, there was Ken Miles), so you might as well upgrade while you're in there.

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up getting a 4wd ax-15 today so I may end up 4wd swapping it if I can get a cheap dana 30 and a cheap 242 transfercase as well. Since I don’t need 4wd and it’s just a want I can’t spend too much on it.

Alright, I know the TJs are clocked a little different, I’m assuming a YJ is clocked differently as well. How much floor hammering needs to happen to accommodate the 242 tcase? In my Cherokee I actually drilled the back of the trans to clock the tcase flatter and had to hammer the floor, but how much larger is the 242?

The more I think about this swap, the more stuff I’m realizing I’m going to need to figure out... I need to decide on a shifter and maybe figure out the wiring to get the 242 to make the lights on the dash light up, maybe I’ll need a harness from a Cherokee with a 242? I don’t know

Found a 242 for cheap today so hopefully it’ll mate up fine. I’m not sure all the differences through the years. I was hoping for an external slip tcase so I could do the swap and drive around on the front driveshaft for a bit till I could get a rear driveshaft measurement and have it made, but I got a super cheap internal slip so I went for it. It came out of a ZJ. I haven’t had time to mess with them much, but hopefully it works out. I don’t know if the ZJ ever got a 21 spline 242 and I forgot to count and check

Tried to slide the two together and it doesn’t seem like they want to go all the way so I may have too long of an input on the tcase or I may be dumb. I also was in a rush so didn’t try for very long or look at much. This is as far together as I’ve gotten them so far. 

1B96A568-A463-4C9D-BF64-DCE15E5745A2.jpeg