College Budget 1987 MJ Build

Oh and I ordered it a new exhaust manifold last night. Sounds like mine has a decent sized leak and I had already tried welding it up once so I’m going to try the new route and see how it goes for it. Maybe I’ll get lucky and discover the intake wasn’t fully seated and fix my idle issue at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced the exhaust manifold and the new one leaks worse than the old one. I think the flange on the new manifold is a little too thin so the washers don’t make great contact. I’ll probably try snugging the bolts some more and hope that fixes it, but even with that the new exhaust is much quieter without all the crappy leaking joints I put together (it was quick and meant to be temporary). I’ll never understand the desire to do exhaust with prebent stuff. Between the time and money I’d rather just take it to an exhaust shop. The guy down here did header to tailpipe for $125 mandrel bent.

• 2 months later...

So when I bought the truck it has a solid rear window, then I wrecked it and could only find sliding rear windows, well I got a solid rear window today. Not sure when I’ll get around to putting it in, but I also got some other goodies that I haven’t really seen before. d31e5142436402620641dcb1d37cc7c4.jpgca742740dd4b45cdab69cbe110f022ee.jpgcb0df373e16a14c773a8a24ad86ff353.jpg
Along with that I got most of a red interior, one tail light, and a Comanche badge
4ce86eabd4e5ed8f9fef87f1fc4a2be8.jpg that was before I got there
1ed51407bf1c85eced69d30692f8e72a.jpg and after.

Nice! Welcome to the 21-slot club.

I’m just temporarily in possession of it. I’m the middle man for a friend. I am still on the search for a black 10 slot grill to return it to factory, but it seems to be a difficult task to find one that isn’t broken.

• 2 weeks later...
Riding in the middle on a bench seat would be a total blast with that just jabbing you in the chest each time you shift. 

I missed 2nd one time and a elbowed the middle passenger very hard... oops

• 1 month later...

Haven’t done too much to the Comanche besides oil changes and some mild maintenance. I got a new lighter/more balanced rear driveshaft and that really helped the ride quality. Had it built at Carolina driveline, and I ordered a rear sway bar which is back ordered so we’ll see when it comes in. Unfortunately I spent most of my money on the Cherokee since the headgasket went. Built a 4.6 stroker and bought a cage for it so that was most of this year’s vehicle money.

Finally sucked it up and just ordered a new 10 slot grill after not finding one for a good while. Also, decided to use the fog light panel with a second hole for my radio switch till I get an actual radio in the dash. So I put a radio delete panel in, plastic welded a new block off plate with no holes drilled in it on the right side of the wheel and put my fog lights and radio on factory switches on the left side of the wheel. Probably didn’t make much sense, but here’s the pictures.
931637b89fcf811cd3af719bf516cdfc.jpg
541e546e14db4f4d162bbc3254107b35.jpg
6e27ac8be329415c7ee11772d2d41757.jpg
63a4b211b68258f72ea0f6dbf72e6c3f.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well it’s been a minute, finally got my sway bar in the mail and installed. Had to do some custom stuff to get it to fit, but it’s on there. Went to the junkyard today and got some goodies92292c07b275ec6a98cfabf369ce2277.jpg
Not sure what to do with them yet. Also, does anyone know what the latch should look like for a 3 pane slider.