Quick help, damaged E12 Torx removal

So taking a break from the junk yard. I found a replacement AW4 transmission. Got everything off to remove it but 1 E12 torx bolt rounded out. We will be coming back with a grill to attempt to drill it out. But if there is a better way we will gladly try it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All is fair in junkyard wars.....if you are just after the trans then you don't have to worry about saving or removing the bolt.....cut the head off.........or drill it off......the trans will slip off over the bolt........my new favorite junkyard toy is a cordless rotary tool with cut off wheels....just removed 8 injectors out of an old ford police interceptor in under a minute 

Reverse drill bits with dogs outside the bit.

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about, i don't quite follow.

Now this being removed from the donor xj. I still have all the bolts holding my AX-15 to the engine. So shouldnt i be able to reuse my original bolts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't comment on the dogs outside the bit.......but the way i read it the "donor"  is in a scrap yard.....so he is just required to get the part off the truck and to the front desk to pay the man......since it is a replacement trans.....my guess would be he has the bolts from the original and his only concern with this bolt is that he can slide the trans off and take it home.....and if he is smart.......don't replace it with one of these monkey bolts......use a normal one....they fit......Just MHO

7 hours ago, Blue88Comanche said:

We got some bolt extractors that several people said works well but we still couldn’t get it off. Friday we are going to come back with a dremel and cutoff wheel and just cut off the head off.

These ones.  Not the Chicom knockoffs. https://store.snapon.com/Hex-Head-Fastener-Extractors-3-8-Drive-10-mm-Hex-Head-Fastener-Extractor-P641685.aspx

Edit, this is the actual 12mm one, but they don't fit the same on E-torx from what I recall. https://store.snapon.com/Hex-Head-Fastener-Extractors-3-8-Drive-12-mm-Hex-Head-Fastener-Extractor-P641686.aspx

Apparently they're now much more expensive than when I bought the set of them though...  But the last time I pulled them out was to do exactly the job you need to do.

But if you can get a dremel in there and cut it off, that works fine, don't mangle the bellhousing.  If you're using those little dremel cutoff disks, make sure you take about 500 of them.

And ditto on whoever said to buy new regular bolts and not put the E-torx back in.  I don't remember the size/thread, but they're a standard SAE bolt.

I agree, I own a few of them:brows:

BUT.....my junkyards won't let me bring in anything that could cause a spark.  They'll let me carry a sawzall, but not an angle grinder.

(I have buried it deep inside a toolbag on more than one occasion, though......)

I agree, I own a few of them:brows:

BUT.....my junkyards won't let me bring in anything that could cause a spark.  They'll let me carry a sawzall, but not an angle grinder.

(I have buried it deep inside a toolbag on more than one occasion, though......)

Ours does not allow sawzall but they do allow rotary cutters. Torches are banned for good reason. But if they are worried about fire wouldn’t the sawzall be the best bet? Idk their logic but we will be returning with a dremel Friday. I talked to the guy up front and he said they won’t be clearing the row the jeep is on till next week. So if I can’t get it Friday then I’m just not meant to have it.

If you already have a good core with a bell housing, you could knock it with a hammer around that bolt and swap your old tran’s bellhousing on. Not much call for AW4 bells for 4.0L.

No comment?

No comment?

Didn’t see it till just now. Unfortunately the Jeep with the transmission I was going after was sent to the crusher ahead of schedule. And a bell housing swap wouldn’t work for me as I was going from an ax-15 to the aw4.

Didn’t see it till just now. Unfortunately the Jeep with the transmission I was going after was sent to the crusher ahead of schedule. And a bell housing swap wouldn’t work for me as I was going from an ax-15 to the aw4.

I would’ve swapped you a bell for a bell. 🤪

I still have my AX-15, it needs to be rebuilt but if you have an AW4 you would like to trade I’m interested.

Where are you? Shipping would likely be more than buying another trans local. A friend of mine has a 2wd ‘98 AX15 and needs a 4.0L bell for bolting it to his304.

2 hours ago, Blue88Comanche said:

I still have my AX-15, it needs to be rebuilt but if you have an AW4 you would like to trade I’m interested.

Do you get up to MD or the mid Atlantic often?  I have two AW4s.  I would swap you either one for the AX15. 1st - 87 XJ, 2nd - 93 XJ.  Both have bell housings.